FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Anrich
I'm Back!!!!!
But It's winter here in south africa and all my plants are in dormancy ( exept my seedlings) but one of my groups have a bad case of root rot!!!!
So i removed them from infected soil wased creaned off all dead and rotten plant material and used a lime -sulpher base fungicide.
I them layed the three seperate plants on wet cotton and lightly covered them.
they are under 20 hour photo period and 24 hour UV light
that should kill all bacteria
By Adam
Sorry to hear about the root rot.. keeping the soil too wet is what did it in my case. I found a higher sand content prevented root rot due to the accidental over-watering here and there..
By Anrich
Guten Tag!!!
This rot is of a unique kind, the lime-sulpher treatment did not do the trick.
The next morning after the treatment there where clear signs fungi.
So what i did is removed all dead brown flesh trimmed all the foliage and soaked in a meth. spirits and water mix ( 10 ml meth. per 1000ml H2O) and applied more (but more potent) lime-sulpher mix
Then placed the rizomes on wet cotton in a tupper-ware lunch box and placed in the fridge as in Matt's fridge dormancy method
( it is winter at the moment so I guess this will do two things:
1: speed up the switch to dormancy
2: and kill all the spores and fungi as it is apparently very sensitive to cold temp.( below 5 Degree celcius)
I am quite sure that this may do the trick and if it does it may be a good method to use in the case of infection by a pathogen of extreme resiliance.
Ahoy please do tell me what you think !!!
By Adam
Let us know how it works. It would be good to have some tried and prooven methods for battling these infections.
By Anrich
Yeah. Trial and error is the fundemental basis of science.
It is quite shocking how unstoppable an infection can be.
In such a case, the normal lime-sulpher treatments seems to be fulite and only shocks the plant more...
so, in the intrest of self-accumulated Knowledge, I shall sacrifice a few green dragons plants to the testing of this method, ( I supose i don't have a choice).
Sweet!!!
By Adam
Sorry to hear that. I'm glad you are keeping close notes so we all can learn from this...
By NZL
The fridge thing could work for the fungus infection, but to speed up the switch to dormancy I'm not so sure.
I was always under the impression you had to let your plants start dormancy naturally, and only put them in the fridge once dormancy was started already.
By Anrich
See winter has been freezing for a 30 days, and the plants where already somewhat into dormancy. so the fridge is the best option.
I checked again this morning and there where no sign of fungi, it's still a bit too soon to tell but, i think this method works!!
Ahoy

What do you use the alcohol for? And what percen[…]

1 year old cape!

I would really be interested in getting some see[…]

Lee’s Botanical Gardens has some drosera for[…]

Better-Gro LFSM

I show Lowes carrying both, although I had not s[…]

Rosemary Oil Miticide

The Rasta Bob's link doesn't work. I may have to […]

Garden_Nymph Requests - Cancelled

Got it. TY. I will repost this Wed. I wasnt sure. […]

Oh, I know flavas are large, given the photos of t[…]

No, you'll need to come back in May to make a requ[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!