FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Spunro
divided a flytrap a few days ago and the wee guy had little roots but i potted it up anyways and just kept it moist like the others and it turns out the leaves have burned off :oops: the rhizome is fine and the tiny roots are still there so im hoping itll take this as a sign to expand those roots, will it come back? if so, in how long?
By Panman
It is a definite maybe. I've had some rhizomes that have lost all of the leaves and roots sprout again whereas I've had others that just wasted away. It is worth trying to save, though. First clean off any dead material. Them put it in a pot with a layer of sphagnum moss nestled around the rhizome. Put it in a plastic bag in indirect light and keep your fingers crossed..
Spunro liked this
By Spunro
i dont have any sphagnum moss, is it essential for this? if not should i just bag them up (while in the pots?) and put them on a windowsill inside?
By Panman
You can try it. You don't want it in the window sill if the sun shines directly through it.
Spunro liked this
By bebnas
I'd def keep it. Sometimes plants (in general, not just vft) shed leaves when stressed and can come back. Might as well keep it around for a bit
Spunro liked this
By MikeB
Spunro wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 10:44 am the rhizome is fine and the tiny roots are still there so im hoping itll take this as a sign to expand those roots, will it come back? if so, in how long?
Let me tell you a story about my sister's flytrap pot. Last August, she tells me that she has filed for divorce and wants me to pick up her plants. She has too many things to deal with right now and doesn't have time to take care of them. I stopped by a couple days later and found 14-inch / 35-centimeter bowl pot that looked devastated: there were a few small, green nubs poking out of the dry soil, and that was all.

I brought the pot home, sifted through the soil, and found 30 flytrap rhizomes. None of them had any leaves. I potted them in fresh soil, set the pot in a saucer full of water, put it in a shaded location, and kept it very damp. I gradually moved the pot to a location where the plants got 3 hours of early morning sunshine. 6 weeks later, this is what they looked like:
September 2023.jpg
September 2023.jpg (228.93 KiB) Viewed 63 times
A tremendous improvement in a relatively short amount of time. All they needed was some decent care.

I left them outside for the winter (I live in eastern North Carolina, about 40 miles / 65 kilometers west of the Venus flytrap's native range). My temperatures seesawed back and forth, and I got a few cold snaps down around 20°F / -6°C. The plants handled this just fine. Here is that pot now:
May 2024.jpg
May 2024.jpg (303.52 KiB) Viewed 63 times
Don't give up on your little rhizome. With some good care, it should bounce back.
andynorth, bebnas liked this
Can vft survive windy days?

Mine survived just fine in the 70mph gusts my area[…]

Hi!

Welcome! Check out the care info at https://www.[…]

Feeding fish food to CP’s?

Not sure about your foods but i use "tetra be[…]

Your vft will be fine for a few days, but you shou[…]

Fortunately you caught it fairly soon. Do you have[…]

Our Postal Workers Hard At It

Or, they're just nuts. I'm gonna go with this […]

It is a possibility. However, you might do more ha[…]

Just wanted to share!

Hey all, Just wanted to share some photos of my pl[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!