FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Jessie828
Hello! To start off, I’m very new to VFT ownership, so my questions may be very elementary! Ultimately I’m learning and am looking for any feedback and advice!

I have six VFTs and this guy I just got about a week ago. The traps generally look ok, but the leaves have lots of darkening around the edges. Some were slightly dark upon arrival, but I do think it’s gotten a bit worse in the sun. It almost looks burnt, but again, complete novice here.

Relevant Info:
- Pennsylvania, outdoors in full sun (south facing). Tried to slowly adapt it to full sunlight, but maybe went too quickly? Temps here have fluctuated a lot in the past week from 40s-70s with most days in the 50s-60s.
- Potted in spagnum moss.
- Currently using the dish method for watering, but open to better suggestions. Distilled water/rain water only.
IMG_8833.jpeg
IMG_8833.jpeg (3.27 MiB) Viewed 412 times
By Jessie828
4 inch pot (one of these)
IMG_8834.jpeg
IMG_8834.jpeg (742.48 KiB) Viewed 398 times
Filling the tray maybe about an inch, inch and a half? Letting it all absorb before refilling, about once a day.
By Panman
My thought is that you are keeping it too wet. Sphagnum moss holds a lot of water, and flytraps do not like a very saturated medium. I would reduce the amount of water into the tray to about 1/2 inch and let the tray dry out before refilling. The top of the moss should be damp but not soggy.
Jessie828 liked this
By Jessie828
Panman wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 8:46 pm My thought is that you are keeping it too wet. Sphagnum moss holds a lot of water, and flytraps do not like a very saturated medium. I would reduce the amount of water into the tray to about 1/2 inch and let the tray dry out before refilling. The top of the moss should be damp but not soggy.
Thank you! Will try that!
By Jessie828
Panman wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 8:59 pm Unfortunately, the existing leaves will not recover. Are you feeding it, because it looks like several of the traps are full.
Nope. I just got it last week; most of the traps were closed when I unboxed it, and haven’t opened. Since I keep them outside, I don’t feed them. Part of me wonders if this one just didn’t do well in shipping, but I figure if there’s anything I can do going forward, I want to try!
By cpgrower126
It is a combination of too much water, and also shipping shock, let the water tray dry out every now and then and you should be good.
By Jessie828
cpgrower126 wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 9:34 pm It is a combination of too much water, and also shipping shock, let the water tray dry out every now and then and you should be good.
Thank you so much! Will do!
Our Postal Workers Hard At It

Last autumn I had a Nepenthes being shipped from C[…]

Tap water

It also depends on what the solids are in the TDS.[…]

I have a feeling he is going to horde those for hi[…]

Received. Thank you

SASE is mailed

Bear Paw Succulent

Hello beautiful people! I just wanted to check in […]

baby sundew found in mu bog pot

I think some of your bog plants may have set seed […]

What the f-

What is this? Is my flytrap finally fighting bac[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!