FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By ChefDean
Antoni wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 2:55 pm I try giving it the most sun I can. I can't put it outside since its cold in my Climate. Its put in the Sunniest spot in my House.
Unless your temperature is dropping below 0°C at night, put it outside in the sun and leave it outside. These things can withstand much colder than what most of Poland is experiencing right now. Keeping it inside is slowly killing it.
stephenboss2000 liked this
By Antoni
The temperatures are really close to 0C. I live in hardiness zone 6a/6b. Whqt am i supposed to do then. I think the temperatures will trigger a Dormant Phase.
By optique
well if it goes dormant in such bad shape it will not end well. zone 6 is fine just after they go dormant naturally protect them. move them to a unheated building or basement, they don't need light when dormant. Flytraps can freeze with out harm they just cant take long term deep cold(-6 & lower), as long as it warms back up above 0c in the daylight they are very happy.
By ChefDean
Antoni wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 3:20 pm The temperatures are really close to 0C. I live in hardiness zone 6a/6b. Whqt am i supposed to do then. I think the temperatures will trigger a Dormant Phase.
You said it's already dying, so what do you have to lose? As long as it is staying above freezing, even a little below, leave it outside in the sun. The longer days will help tell it to not go dormant, but, even if it does, then it'll come out of it as it warms up and the days get even longer.
wcrosman liked this
By optique
they build up a sugar reserve for winter dormancy. A light starved plant would not have this reserve.

Was just outside and took this photo. they are waking up.
andynorth liked this
By Antoni
What about the good Looking ones. Will they go Dormant too?
By bebnas
Antoni wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 3:00 pm But what's weird that its the only one that started Looking good. All the other ones look fine.
Not really. Sometimes it works and sometimes it dont
By ChefDean
Antoni wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 6:10 am What about the good Looking ones. Will they go Dormant too?
Cold temperatures are a minor cue to go dormant, photoperiod is a major cue. As long as you don't suddenly get short days, they'll all be fine and continue growing.
By andynorth
So is morning sun better than afternoon sun? I have mine in pools right now and most of them get an hour or so of direct morning sun and a few hours of afternoon sun. Once summer is in full swing they should get more but I do not want them dying off before that happens. I am thinking of pulling some inside and put under lights for 23 hours a day, especially the younger ones. I got some Big Tomato and B52's from Mike B last year and they are doing well. I was able to propagate both and those have been going crazy since I potted them.
By Antoni
So i can keep all vft outside 24/7 in zone 6?
By ChefDean
Antoni wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 6:45 am So i can keep all vft outside 24/7 in zone 6?
You keep asking the same question, but worded different. As long as it stays above freezing night, leave them outside.
By ChefDean
andynorth wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 5:50 pm So is morning sun better than afternoon sun? I have mine in pools right now and most of them get an hour or so of direct morning sun and a few hours of afternoon sun.
Sun is sun. You see morning sun most recommended because it's less intense and the temps are cooler then. Most of the time it's suggested is when people are posting that their plant is in bad shape, so it's a way of getting a stressed plant sun without it also having to deal with high temps. Or it's suggested to people that live in areas that actually get hot during the summer regularly (multiple days at ir above 100°F) so they can avoid direct sun at the hottest part of the day. Seattle area doesn't qualify as a place that regularly gets hot.
andynorth wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 5:50 pmOnce summer is in full swing they should get more but I do not want them dying off before that happens.
As they're outside, they're acclimated to the gradually changing weather. The only thing you might want to worry about is extremes like multiple days over 100°F of a sudden freeze. Where your area has had only six days of 100°F temps or more in recorded history, you're fine.
andynorth wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 5:50 pmI am thinking of pulling some inside and put under lights for 23 hours a day, especially the younger ones.
Why? See above to see that that isn't necessary under your normal circumstances.
andynorth liked this
By Antoni
Im sorry if i don't want my vft to die
Leaf cutting

If you just cut the traps off then the leaves can […]

A Thread for Pygmies

Very nice photo! I just harvested my first scorpio[…]

Wingless fruit flies?

I have a closed-tank setup for pygmy sundews and i[…]

Nepenthes pictures!

Newest pitcher just popped open on my N. Platychil[…]

Ok, What’d I Do?

That’s really helpful, thank you, especial[…]

I'm wishing you a happy week and wishing your plan[…]

That’s awesome! I just checked mine (sown 4/[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!