FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Hedonista
Got these two little lowland neps in the mail yesterday. They looked fine when they arrived, and I potted them up in rinsed LFSM and perlite, gave them water, put them in trays with a little water in the bottom, and stuck them under T8 grow lights. This morning they look like this.
Nepenthes today
Nepenthes today
IMG_5474.jpeg (3.31 MiB) Viewed 308 times
The one in the front is really bad. They were not bagged (I didn’t bag my other nep when it arrived and it was fine, so I didn’t think I needed to). Was it not bagging them? Was it putting them under the lights?
I assume it was my fault, because everything looked fine when it arrived, although the two Juthatip Sopers I ordered also ended up limp and floppy within a couple hours of being potted, but all the other sarracenia are fine, and so is the flytrap.
Limp Juthatip, healthy leuco x willisi
Limp Juthatip, healthy leuco x willisi
IMG_5471.jpeg (2.67 MiB) Viewed 308 times
Limp Juthatip, healthy leuco x willisii
Limp Juthatip, healthy leuco x willisii
IMG_5470.jpeg (2.54 MiB) Viewed 308 times
I don't really understand what could’ve happened to just those two sarracenia that didn’t affect the others, because if it were the shipping process, I would’ve assumed everything would’ve been affected. In the photos of the limp sarrs you can see a perfectly healthy leuco x willisii I also got yesterday. Please help me learn what I’ve done wrong.
By Panman
For nepenthes, I would always bag them and keep them out from under lights (to prevent them from cooking) for a couple of weeks until they adjust to having their roots disturbed. Sarrs i generally don't bag but I keep them in the shade for a couple of weeks after receiving them for the same reason. For the plants that you are having problems with, I would bag them and keep them out of direct light for a few days and see if they start looking better.
Hedonista, Intheswamp liked this
By Hedonista
How do y’all bag taller plants? I’ve been using gallon ziploc bags, but the new sarrs are too tall.
By Panman
Just bag the one that is wilting. You can just cover the pot with the bag. Definitely put them in the shade, though.
Hedonista, andynorth liked this
By Hedonista
So I’ve had the two neps bagged for the last nine days, opening them 1-2 times a day for air exchange. The one that wasn’t too bad off looks much better. It got a couple moldy leaves, which I cut off without any ill effects I can see. But…the other one has just been getting worse. Is it salvageable? And what did I do wrong now, as this was clearly not how bagging was supposed to go?
Attachments:
Rough nep update 5/19
Rough nep update 5/19
IMG_5512.jpeg (3.22 MiB) Viewed 132 times
Rough nep update 5/19
Rough nep update 5/19
IMG_5510.jpeg (3.43 MiB) Viewed 132 times
Better nep update 5/19
Better nep update 5/19
IMG_5513.jpeg (3.25 MiB) Viewed 132 times
My Ginormous pot

They all look really healthy. I would be up to buy[…]

Although it looks a little off I would say that ma[…]

Weird Venus Flytrap

Diflora is a much more reputable seller than Ernes[…]

Phyllodia or deformed pitcher

Nope, it was growing like this since it popped up,[…]

Just under two weeks remain in our contest, and it[…]

U. bisquamata

https://i.imgur.com/jvySrrU.jpeg

Fused Tooth Extreme

https://i.imgur.com/N8bsm0X.jpeg

for P."Kewensis" see here you have mor[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!