FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By andynorth
So I tested my water using a aquarium strips and was wondering if anyone can tell me what I am looking for as far as chloramine goes. I know we have it in our water as I asked the water company. I just can not find a test for it. The results are in picture. Everything seems relatively low to me but I am no expert on water. One thing I will note, the Total Alkalinity actually is less than that shown. It says to check that after about 15 seconds and it was lighter. However, it said to wait at least a minute for the Nitrite and Nitrate results, both of which have no reading.
Attachments:
20240509_195245.jpg
20240509_195245.jpg (2.44 MiB) Viewed 441 times
By Panman
The ones that you are most interested in are the Chlorine, Total Hardness, and Carbonate Hardness. The hardness numbers look fine. They are all below 50. You will occasionally need to rinse water trays to remove excess salt, but not frequently and it will not build up in the pots too quickly. The chlorine can be a problem straight from the tap. The easiest way to deal with chlorine is a cheap carbon filter. Although it is presently unavailable, this is what I have on my spigot outside that is attached to the water hose.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KB ... UTF8&psc=1
I check the water every couple of months to ensure that the filter is still good and doesn't need to be replaced.

Regarding chloramine, your test strips don't have a test for it, and it is harder to remove from the water. I haven't had to do that, so I don't have a suggestion for you other than an RO filter.
By andynorth
Yea, I have checked several RO systems. The ones that say they are for chloramine have terrible reviews. I have found a couple hose types that I might consider. I have a water barrel so I can fill it up, let it set for a couple days to get rid of the chlorine and use that. I have not noticed any adverse affects on any of my plants using 50/50 rain or distilled water and my tap water. I do understand that long term it might become an issue so I want to try and find something for the chloramine. I am just having an issue even finding a chloramine test.
By Panman
I use these test strips
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06W2 ... UTF8&psc=1
Chloramine levels can be determined by subtracting the amount of free chlorine from the amount of total chlorine.
By andynorth
Panman wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 4:59 pm I use these test strips
Chloramine levels can be determined by subtracting the amount of free chlorine from the amount of total chlorine.
I had looked at those. I like to read the 1 and 2 star reviews to see what people say. There seem to be quite a few of them mentioning iron but there are also several that also mention testing distilled, bottled and tap water and the results were identical. I am thinking of getting an ammonia test since that is mainly what chloramine is.
By andynorth
Panman wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 4:59 pm I use these test strips
So is Residual Chlorine the same as Total Chlorine on those strips? My strips just say Chlorine. I do have ammonia test strips coming. I checked my mix of tap water and rain water this morning. No chlorine at all. Those test strips might be a good way to determine chloramine amount. I asked my water company how much chloramine is in the water and they have no clue. That kind of scares me since if they do not know, not sure whom to ask.
I purchased the below filter that hooks up to a hose. I am going to test water before and after with both my aquarium strips and ammonia strips. I will post results once I have them.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09ZCDZTHJ?ps ... ct_details
By Gary
I used to have a pool/spa at my house in CA. The more comprehensive pool water test kits will test for chloramines in the water. They're not too pricey, and most are very accurate.
By andynorth
Gary wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 3:12 am I used to have a pool/spa at my house in CA. The more comprehensive pool water test kits will test for chloramines in the water. They're not too pricey, and most are very accurate.
Thanks, I will have to look in to that.
By andynorth
So after receiving my in line garden hose filter I must say I am happy with the results. Although the ammonia levels are pretty much the same before and after, which is none the chlorine and other test levels are satisfiable enough that I will be transitioning from distilled water to tap water. The filter description states it is good up to 8,500 gallons. Going to take some time to get to that point. I will fill my rain barrel up from the hose to use throughout the summer. Pics are of ammonia test and aquarium test done today.
Attachments:
YQ10S_MAX_20240514_110915.jpg
YQ10S_MAX_20240514_110915.jpg (462.81 KiB) Viewed 190 times
YQ10S_MAX_20240514_111125.jpg
YQ10S_MAX_20240514_111125.jpg (356.84 KiB) Viewed 190 times
Last edited by andynorth on Tue May 14, 2024 8:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By Intheswamp
Uh, why not save the rain barrel for...rain water, and just use the water hose and filter for watering your plants? :?:
By andynorth
Intheswamp wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 7:18 pm Uh, why not save the rain barrel for...rain water, and just use the water hose and filter for watering your plants? :?:
I left enough room for rain water. We have had such limited rain this season so I figured I could pull from that. Even though the filter is eliminating pretty much all chlorine, etc. I still want it to set for a couple days before using it. Plus, I have my indoor grow tents and greenhouse plants that need watering also and I can fill my gallon jugs from it. I do not want to keep putting it on and taking it off the hose for when the grandkids are playing in the water and the wife uses for her veggies.
Intheswamp liked this
By Bugeater123
That's true, but I think zero water pitcher is better
By andynorth
Bugeater123 wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 11:17 pm That's true, but I think zero water pitcher is better
Considering the price per Zero water pitcher filters compared to this filter and the amount of time it would take to fill up my 65 gallon rain barrel I will stick to using Zero water for my drinking water and this filter for my plants. Especially considering I did water tests of regular tap water, filtered water and Zero water. The difference was so minimal that it is not enough to cause concern. TDS under 30 so I will continue to use until my plants tell me otherwise, but I do not believe that is going to be an issue.
Phyllodia or deformed pitcher

Hi guys, I was just wondering what's going on with[…]

Weird Venus Flytrap

€8.00 = $8.69 U.S. That's a good price. To m[…]

My Ginormous pot

Who is the big guy photobombing in the lower rig[…]

Right, sorry https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20[…]

U. bisquamata

https://i.imgur.com/jvySrrU.jpeg

Fused Tooth Extreme

https://i.imgur.com/N8bsm0X.jpeg

for P."Kewensis" see here you have mor[…]

What variety is that? The pic I provided is a[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!