FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Antoni
Hi. Isn't b52 supposed to be a giant trap variety? Well, minę is SMALLER than a typical! How is that possible, coneidering that they are about the same age? Maybe my b52 is fake, but probably no. (I mean the leaf trap size, not the whole plant/s.)
By Antoni
For "minę" I made a mistake and mean "mine"
Attachments:
Typical on the right b52 on the left
Typical on the right b52 on the left
IMG_20240508_221011.jpg (4.54 MiB) Viewed 353 times
By Panman
The pictures look about right. B52 has big traps but it isn't the biggest by any stretch of the imagination and I certainly wouldn't label it a giant. . That said, I have several typical flytraps that give DC XL a run for its money. A lot depends on the genetics but it also depends on environment. One flytrap may prefer it drier than another, etc.
By Panman
One thing I notice in the picture is that they are in different sized pots. That will have an impact on the root growth which supports the plant. If you look at the brown pot it appears that there are multiple large rhizomes in there. Again, another thing that will impact growth. Finally, the larger plant has better coloration, which may be accounted for by the pot being taller and perhaps shading the smaller plant. All of these things can impact the growth of the plant even though they are in "identical" conditions.
By Antoni
I was planning on re potting and dividing them tomorrow. I didn't know it had such an impact on the growth. However, if i repot those, will the traps grow larger or stay the same?
By Antoni
Also I forgot the pots aren't sharing each other. I keep them further away from each other, I just put them close to make the photo in a water tray (I think, i don't know what is it called in English)
By Panman
Antoni wrote:I was planning on re potting and dividing them tomorrow. I didn't know it had such an impact on the growth. However, if i repot those, will the traps grow larger or stay the same?
There is no way to know. Repotting should result in healthier plants and thereby bigger traps, once they get over the transplant shock. Don't expect to see any improvements for a couple of months.
Antoni wrote:I just put them close to make the photo in a water tray
That makes sense, but still if they are differing heights or distance from the lights will impact the growth.
By Antoni
Last question (probably) when i repot, wash off the soil, divide and put them in a New pot will they die? If not, will they lose traps, or not change? (Its Late spring/early Summer now in my Climate)
By Hedonista
They should not die, unless you do something extreme to them in the repotting process that they take offense to. They might have some traps that will start to look bad, or they might not. Even if the existing traps suffer, any new ones should grow strong and healthy.

Are you referring to the Refreshe brand that's sol[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

I've got some of the same stuff going on so intere[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Weird Venus Flytrap

Ok then, where can I buy the real B52 in EU? T[…]

My Ginormous pot

How big have they gotten for you? I recently got[…]

Pics of P. Kewensis blooms

Thanks Jeff - I had checked the cpphotofinder. Unf[…]

Tap water

It also depends on what the solids are in the […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!