FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By Jade
So I went to Lowe’s to look at some stuff cuz I finally got a ride, and they had a bunch of little flytraps for like $6 and some bigger ones for $10, and I decided to bring a little pile home.

Some of the smaller ones look like maybe more than one plant (good thing I found 13 good sized pots too! And got a couple bales of Better Gro. And a couple food grade buckets. And some paint filters .) And one definitely has a little tiny baby plant growing out at the bottom. And they have some traps that have the light pink hue inside instead of just pure green. I’m leaving them in the little boxes with the top popped for better air, but I didn’t want to mess with them too much until the repotting. So pics could be better and will be tomorrow when they’re in their new homes.

Oh quick question, I assume that tomorrow when I repot I should thoroughly rinse the LFSM? I was thinking about potting them in just that but I was wondering if that might be bad?
IMG_5631.jpeg
IMG_5631.jpeg (3.05 MiB) Viewed 434 times
IMG_5632.jpeg
IMG_5632.jpeg (2.54 MiB) Viewed 434 times
IMG_5633.jpeg
IMG_5633.jpeg (2.86 MiB) Viewed 434 times
IMG_5634.jpeg
IMG_5634.jpeg (2.23 MiB) Viewed 434 times
IMG_5635.jpeg
IMG_5635.jpeg (2.45 MiB) Viewed 434 times
IMG_5636.jpeg
IMG_5636.jpeg (2.39 MiB) Viewed 434 times
IMG_5637.jpeg
IMG_5637.jpeg (3.45 MiB) Viewed 434 times
IMG_5638.jpeg
IMG_5638.jpeg (3.21 MiB) Viewed 434 times
IMG_5639.jpeg
IMG_5639.jpeg (2.98 MiB) Viewed 434 times
So they were though on a bottom shelf stacked on top of each other and the other thing I was a bit worried about was shocking them with too much light. I can start them in the house under my Sansi lights and maybe move them outdoors after awhile? Or start the indoor lights higher and move them down after so long and then outside? Any thoughts or suggestions on a timetable for the steps or if I’m thinking about doing it wrong?
By andynorth
Not bad looking plants considering they were at Lowe's. Ours here never carry them. Walmart on occasion.
Definitely rinse the LFSM thoroughly. All my VFT's grow in 100% LFSM and they love it. If you have really strong sun then you will want to acclimate them. I would say slowly for 2 to 3 weeks but I might be incorrect. Where I live it is cloudy 90% of the time so I put them out and let nature take over. If you have lots of sunshine, try to give them morning sun a little each day for a few weeks. However, you want to try and place them where you do not have to constantly move them. This can be difficult a lot of times but it can be detrimental to their health to move them around too much. Hope this makes sense.
By ChefDean
Nice haul.
Repot them sooner rather than later, Bug Biting Plants has taken to planting them in a fibrous material, in a mesh wrap, then in more fiber. It's not "bad" for the plant, but there are better media options.
If you put them directly outside after repotting, they will decline some, some will decline a great deal. But they'll grow back stronger, faster than if you baby them. I've never had a BBP completely die off after giving it tough love.
My last BBP acquisition that my wife bought for me last year. Started with two plants, repotted, immediately out in the sun, and is now ~15 plants.
20240502_194849.jpg
20240502_194849.jpg (4.22 MiB) Viewed 419 times
Jade, andynorth liked this
By optique
I got one in that same box years ago. It burned to a crisp on the 1st day in full sun but recovered. its the one tag that says lowes

Jade liked this
By Jade
andynorth wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 12:05 am Not bad looking plants considering they were at Lowe's. Ours here never carry them. Walmart on occasion.
Definitely rinse the LFSM thoroughly. All my VFT's grow in 100% LFSM and they love it. If you have really strong sun then you will want to acclimate them. I would say slowly for 2 to 3 weeks but I might be incorrect. Where I live it is cloudy 90% of the time so I put them out and let nature take over. If you have lots of sunshine, try to give them morning sun a little each day for a few weeks. However, you want to try and place them where you do not have to constantly move them. This can be difficult a lot of times but it can be detrimental to their health to move them around too much. Hope this makes sense.
I actually was supposed to be going to Walmart and was going to look and see if they had any while I was shopping for stuff I need (and looking at their garden section lol), but it’s a much further drive than Lowe’s which is only a couple miles away and Home Depot which is closer. I got an offer to check when I said I was looking forward to hunting down some vfts from a box store and I was super happy they were there. Had I more cash and they more deep pots, I would have just bought the lot. I decided to hedge my bets instead and try to get the best looking ones they had. Which was a lot more than I thought I’d find.

I actually may have to start a few in the Better Gro, and when I get my check tomorrow I was gonna snag some New Zealand too. I only got 2 little bales of BG which is obviously not enough for the pots.

I think I understand what you mean. They probably can’t go outside yet tomorrow, it’s supposed to storm a lot. I’m in NE Ohio, and we get a fair amount of severe weather with hail and stuff, tomorrow will be stormy at least. I think the best place will be against the fence in front of the shed because it gets light all day and it’s not far from the shed or garage if we get inclement weather moving in fast. That’s going to be the only time they’re moved until they need dormancy hopefully.
By Jade
ChefDean wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 12:48 am Nice haul.
Repot them sooner rather than later, Bug Biting Plants has taken to planting them in a fibrous material, in a mesh wrap, then in more fiber. It's not "bad" for the plant, but there are better media options.
If you put them directly outside after repotting, they will decline some, some will decline a great deal. But they'll grow back stronger, faster than if you baby them. I've never had a BBP completely die off after giving it tough love.
My last BBP acquisition that my wife bought for me last year. Started with two plants, repotted, immediately out in the sun, and is now ~15 plants.
20240502_194849.jpg
Oh for real? Yeah as soon as the weather goes back to at least not bad, I’ll definitely put them out then. It was quite a nice surprise to find so many. Out of curiosity are the bigger ones just less young or is it different than a typical? I was just curious because it seems like they’re growing lower and the traps are bigger, but I never had figured out how y’all tell how old they are and thought maybe they just put older ones in the bigger boxes.

I really love seeing everyone’s box store VFTs! These are definitely going to be the type of thing I start expecting my partner to get me every time there’s a reason for a gift lol. Seems like your wife has a good eye for grabbing plants and I’m sure your experience at raising them helps.

Boy whatever is on the top of the pot made me think that I had no idea how those lasted in shipping. It looks like chopped up dead grass from the Triassic Period or something. I was trying to figure out what the heck is was tbh.
By Jade
optique wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 1:00 am I got one in that same box years ago. It burned to a crisp on the 1st day in full sun but recovered. its the one tag that says lowes

I’m sorry that’s one plant? Wait, that’s a few right? Like clones or something?Wowza it’s gorgeous tho and it’s flowering or am I imagining seeing a few stalks? I’m trying to get better at knowing what things I’m looking at through pictures :mrgreen: But that is extremely lovely. So is your whole collection, I just wasn’t expecting such a beautiful plant attached to the Lowe’s tag
By optique
Jade wrote:I’m sorry that’s one plant?
They divide and make more plants. My very 1st VFT is 50+ plants now. post447962.html
By Jade
Holy moly! Wait that division just happens naturally? I feel kinda silly asking, but I guess I was under the impression when folks were dividing plants it’s because they just had a bunch growing together that got too big for that or they wanted to divide some from a big pot of them so they could sell or gift a plant or get better sun for a plant that might have grown under the other one over time.

I thought that you just had to get more plants by um leaf strikes (it’s late, I feel like this is the wrong term for a VFT, but I looked at a thread or video recently showing how to do it, seemed neato, or by the 1” flower stalk section strikes.

I forgot what I was originally referring to, and y’all have made me understand the beauty of adding my carnivorous plants to my cat mom tendency to take 50 million pics of my cats at least once a day. Those are so amazing!
How long to acclimate

I have no idea. I'm a newb. But, how tall is th[…]

The 2 I have were sent in a mix of ground coco chi[…]

What kind of water are you using? How are you wate[…]

No lol, I was just hoping to get more than one res[…]

Tap water

I just tested my tap water and it is about 190-2[…]

I've now removed the ping, as it was losing its le[…]

Hello!

Nice catch, Chef!

Hi!

Welcome to the forum!

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!