FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By Sp0nser
My grow tent is not getting the drastic nightly drops in temperature that my nepenthes need. For example, it could be 56 degrees outside, and it would be 65 degrees inside the grow tent, even with fans pulling in air from the open window and an exhaust fan running. The first three days of making the "vent" worked wonderfully. I got nighttime drops down in the 50s. But those three days were the exception. The next day and the days following, those drops just wouldn't come. I tried everything, from switching to new exhaust fans to new humidifiers, even turning off the humidifers at night and letting the cool humid air do all of the work (it was worse than previous attempts, only dropping to about 68).

I don't want to invest in an AC unit in the time being as I am quite spent budget wise.

What can I do?

Ask for more information if what I provided was insufficient!

Thanks.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

By Hedonista
I’ve seen people mention putting ice in with neps and darlingtonia at night to drop the temperature.
By andynorth
So do you have shelves inside? Mine are 24x24x48. I have shelves inside with lights under each shelf and black shelf liners. Although I run the lights for 22 hours a day, I can easily turn lights off as needed. If you have a humidifier, have you tried leaving it on when the lights are out at night? Fans are going to draw in whatever air is outside which could pose a problem. Possibly put ice cold water in the humidifier and that should cool it down quite a bit.
By Sp0nser
I do run the humidifers at night, and the grow lights turn off at about 8 pm.

I haven't tried putting chilled water into the humidifiers though, is that effective?

By Sp0nser
andynorth wrote:So do you have shelves inside? Mine are 24x24x48. I have shelves inside with lights under each shelf and black shelf liners. Although I run the lights for 22 hours a day, I can easily turn lights off as needed. If you have a humidifier, have you tried leaving it on when the lights are out at night? Fans are going to draw in whatever air is outside which could pose a problem. Possibly put ice cold water in the humidifier and that should cool it down quite a bit.
And yes, they have shelves... though I only ever use one per side. I disassembled the rest as they were directly touching the light.

By andynorth
Sp0nser wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 12:09 am I haven't tried putting chilled water into the humidifiers though, is that effective?

I have never had to do this but I would imagine it would help cool things down. If your tank is large enough maybe try throwing some ice cubes in? Is it placed near where your plant(s) is/are? I keep mine as close as possible to my plants that require a lot of humidity.
I also have an indoor greenhouse and by utilizing the top shelf for all my drosera, the second shelf down gets about an 8 to 10 degree drop in temp.

If you have only done it once and you will be flus[…]

Tap water

Peat and perlite is the mix i used hope its good ([…]

Can vft survive windy days?

Ok thanks. I will try not to create a venus Flying[…]

Plant Mail

Let’s make these plants look their best ;)

Hi!

Welcome! Check out the care info at https://www.[…]

Feeding fish food to CP’s?

Not sure about your foods but i use "tetra be[…]

Our Postal Workers Hard At It

Or, they're just nuts. I'm gonna go with this […]

It is a possibility. However, you might do more ha[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!