FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By wcrosman
I got both of these from Amazon. They work well.
C3BBBF39-06C7-4832-931D-FCE60EBBA809.png
C3BBBF39-06C7-4832-931D-FCE60EBBA809.png (1.21 MiB) Viewed 613 times
E7DBE5A1-0F7F-4EEF-9FAB-CF3EAACAEDF2.png
E7DBE5A1-0F7F-4EEF-9FAB-CF3EAACAEDF2.png (883.99 KiB) Viewed 613 times
andynorth, Jade liked this
By andynorth
wcrosman wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 3:54 am I got both of these from Amazon. They work well.
Before I bought grow tents I had considered theses same ones. They are nice because you can "daisy chain" up to 6 of them.
Jade liked this
By Jade
wcrosman wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 3:54 am I got both of these from Amazon. They work well.
So you can link those two like the timer that can plug into my lights to give me more flexibility than just 3 timer seconds? Thank you because I was really wondering how you set the temp on these so that definitely would have been something I asked about when the mat arrived and I realized that yes, they don’t have different settings. And that is super affordable!
By andynorth
Jade wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 3:40 pm So you can link those two like the timer that can plug into my lights to give me more flexibility than just 3 timer seconds? Thank you because I was really wondering how you set the temp on these so that definitely would have been something I asked about when the mat arrived and I realized that yes, they don’t have different settings. And that is super affordable!
Correct. You can daisy chain up to 6 and if you have all the hardware you can set each pad to a different temp. I decided against them due to the 6 have to be relatively close and I did not want to modify to extend the cables to 2 grow tents. Once I started using the grow tents I figured out I really do not need the heat from them as I actually have to use fans to cool everything down due to heat produced from the lights. There are several being sold on Amazon but Vivosun is good quality.
Jade liked this
By Jade
andynorth wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 5:05 pm
Jade wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 3:40 pm So you can link those two like the timer that can plug into my lights to give me more flexibility than just 3 timer seconds? Thank you because I was really wondering how you set the temp on these so that definitely would have been something I asked about when the mat arrived and I realized that yes, they don’t have different settings. And that is super affordable!
Correct. You can daisy chain up to 6 and if you have all the hardware you can set each pad to a different temp. I decided against them due to the 6 have to be relatively close and I did not want to modify to extend the cables to 2 grow tents. Once I started using the grow tents I figured out I really do not need the heat from them as I actually have to use fans to cool everything down due to heat produced from the lights. There are several being sold on Amazon but Vivosun is good quality.
That’s a really good option to have thanks for letting me know. If I ever get to that spot and have trouble figuring it out you’ll be the person I ask. :D

Vivosun is the grow tent you mean? If they have a small thing that could go on an unused bar I could block it off so the cats couldn’t destroy it at least. Most of the time they’re with me and not downstairs anyhow so I wanted to try and make a decent place for growing and *maybe* dormancy.

I was thinking my mini fridge I don’t really use for much would probably be better for that tbh, but having a choice between a cooler temp than upstairs and a heat pad feels like a good idea. I just want to get most of the stuff I need for that kind of setup before I got many more plants and definitely before trying to grow seeds.
By andynorth
Jade wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 8:33 pm
That’s a really good option to have thanks for letting me know. If I ever get to that spot and have trouble figuring it out you’ll be the person I ask. :D

Vivosun is the grow tent you mean? If they have a small thing that could go on an unused bar I could block it off so the cats couldn’t destroy it at least. Most of the time they’re with me and not downstairs anyhow so I wanted to try and make a decent place for growing and *maybe* dormancy.
You are welcome.
Vivosun sells the heat pads, thermostats and many other growing accessories. They do sell smaller grow tents. I have 2 that are 24x24x48. IIRC the also sell 24x24x36. However I may be incorrect on that one. My original grow tent was 24x24x36 but it is not a Vivosun. If you are interested I will sell really cheap. Probably 35 to 40 bucks shipped. I just need to locate it.
Jade liked this
By Jade
So a couple questions just because I don’t want to waste your extremely kind and generous offer if I’m not able to use it. I checked out the Vivosun tents, and they seem like they are predominantly or completely vertical type in variety. I have to check the measurements of your tent tomorrow, but I’m curious if it would be lengthy in the horizontal or vertical form? I have a lot of horizontal space (the length of the bar basically which was built as a full one) and not a lot of vertical space to work with. I never know which measurement is for height, so do you happen to know if it’s the 24 or 36? Also if I end up checking after you answer I hope it would be alright to ask for a photo or two before buying. I don’t doubt it’s a steal, just want to see what I need to buy in addition to make it functional which is mainly because I have no familiarity with what to expect there.

I also admit to a severe lack of knowledge about shipping and stuff between people, so did you mean that I pay 35-40 and that’s it or that plus shipping? I just need to know how much money to set aside so if it will fit I’m prepared for if you do end up finding it. Also would probably have to do PayPal or something like that. Just wanted to ask those few things and let you know what you’re working with on my end. If there’s any problems I can always try to address that. It really is a super generous offer so no matter what I want to thank you for making it.
By andynorth
Jade wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 1:45 am So a couple questions just because I don’t want to waste your extremely kind and generous offer if I’m not able to use it. I checked out the Vivosun tents, and they seem like they are predominantly or completely vertical type in variety. I have to check the measurements of your tent tomorrow, but I’m curious if it would be lengthy in the horizontal or vertical form? I have a lot of horizontal space (the length of the bar basically which was built as a full one) and not a lot of vertical space to work with. I never know which measurement is for height, so do you happen to know if it’s the 24 or 36? Also if I end up checking after you answer I hope it would be alright to ask for a photo or two before buying. I don’t doubt it’s a steal, just want to see what I need to buy in addition to make it functional which is mainly because I have no familiarity with what to expect there.

I also admit to a severe lack of knowledge about shipping and stuff between people, so did you mean that I pay 35-40 and that’s it or that plus shipping? I just need to know how much money to set aside so if it will fit I’m prepared for if you do end up finding it. Also would probably have to do PayPal or something like that. Just wanted to ask those few things and let you know what you’re working with on my end. If there’s any problems I can always try to address that. It really is a super generous offer so no matter what I want to thank you for making it.
24 wide, 24 deep, 36 high. You could theoretically turn it on it's side. It would just require you turn it the correct side so you could open but it could work that way. I believe I also have some small cable tie downs I will throw in. Good for hanging lights inside the tent. I will dig it out and take some pics in the next day or so. I have doctor appointments Thursday and Friday which will eat up a lot of time since they are in Seattle and I am 30 miles or so south. No problem in asking questions. I do not mind. Small shelves available on Amazon or you can build your own to fit inside. I have 3 and 4 rack shelves in mine that work great.
It would be 35 or 40, shipping included in that price. Yes, I take PayPal.
No worries, I am not in any rush to get rid of it so take your time.
Jade liked this
By Jade
That sounds amazing thank you! I don’t get my monthly check until Friday anyhow so no rush. I mean no rush in general too as I obviously don’t have everything I need to set it up anyhow. And before I get carried away I still have to measure from bar to ceiling. I have no idea why, but the ceiling is pretty low and only over the bar. Maybe there was thought about decorating with neon signs or something because I have no clue why else they’d drop the ceiling lower just for the bar. It’s still really good horizontal space so I guess I shouldn’t complain too much. I have to say again thank you. I wasn’t expecting to be able to get that part of my setup for a pretty long time given how much it seems like they run, so this made my day. :D
andynorth liked this
By Intheswamp
Just a short comment on the tent. Would Jade be able to use a shelf unit if she used the tent turned on its side? Seems with 24-inches to work with, vertical space might be a little tight in the tent. If she went with flat panel lights I can see that she'd have room for a single shelf which would create two levels...the bar top and the shelf. Wouldn't more than one shelf be too many? Maybe just a section of closet shelving sitting on a couple of supports at the ends? When you're talking about a six-inch tall pot and four-inch tall plant the actual plant/pot height starts eating up the height...especially if you need some adjustment room for the light's height. Jade, measure your bar's width to be sure you have 24+ inches for the tent to sit on...you might as well measure the height between the bar top and whatever is above it. It would work better vertically, but they work turned on the side, too. Andy's throwing a good deal out there to you, just do some homework and make sure it'll fit the space that you have available and that you can utilize it like you would want to.

As for the dropped down ceiling over the bar... Possibly future cabinets were planned for the dropped down area. Or, possibly for what you said...pictures, decorations, or maybe for lights to be mounted beneath it to illuminate the bar top. The old trailer that I have my plants in has a bar in the "great room" that divides the kitchen area from the living room area. It has cabinets above the bar which takes up a lot of the vertical space but I'm not sure how much. Get that measurement from bar to ceiling...sometimes our eyeballing things can be off a bit. ;) And if it seems the tent isn't a good fit you could consider simply mounting lights directly beneath the drop-ceiling over the bar. As for humidity levels...those can be worked with humidity domes and plastic sheeting strategically hung from the edges of the drop-ceiling.

I can't remember... Are you wanting to grow *all* of your plants indoors 24/7/365? Or, is this just for germination and seedling/leaf-cutting propagation?
Jade, andynorth liked this
By Jade
Intheswamp wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 1:34 pm Just a short comment on the tent. Would Jade be able to use a shelf unit if she used the tent turned on its side? Seems with 24-inches to work with, vertical space might be a little tight in the tent. If she went with flat panel lights I can see that she'd have room for a single shelf which would create two levels...the bar top and the shelf. Wouldn't more than one shelf be too many? Maybe just a section of closet shelving sitting on a couple of supports at the ends? When you're talking about a six-inch tall pot and four-inch tall plant the actual plant/pot height starts eating up the height...especially if you need some adjustment room for the light's height. Jade, measure your bar's width to be sure you have 24+ inches for the tent to sit on...you might as well measure the height between the bar top and whatever is above it. It would work better vertically, but they work turned on the side, too. Andy's throwing a good deal out there to you, just do some homework and make sure it'll fit the space that you have available and that you can utilize it like you would want to.

As for the dropped down ceiling over the bar... Possibly future cabinets were planned for the dropped down area. Or, possibly for what you said...pictures, decorations, or maybe for lights to be mounted beneath it to illuminate the bar top. The old trailer that I have my plants in has a bar in the "great room" that divides the kitchen area from the living room area. It has cabinets above the bar which takes up a lot of the vertical space but I'm not sure how much. Get that measurement from bar to ceiling...sometimes our eyeballing things can be off a bit. ;) And if it seems the tent isn't a good fit you could consider simply mounting lights directly beneath the drop-ceiling over the bar. As for humidity levels...those can be worked with humidity domes and plastic sheeting strategically hung from the edges of the drop-ceiling.

I can't remember... Are you wanting to grow *all* of your plants indoors 24/7/365? Or, is this just for germination and seedling/leaf-cutting propagation?

Thanks for the additional questions because I obviously don’t know to ask but yeah it seemed like an incredible deal just glancing at ones for sale typically. And honestly if I can’t fit it on the bar I’m gonna measure a couple more things like my half bookshelf and maybe try to find something like an ironing board or the clothes folding table to see if there’s another place to put it. I will eventually be moving back in with my partner, so I’d have more options there too, but I’m not sure when that’ll be as I’m trying to help my mom out for now. I just don’t think I’ll get a deal like this again so I want to figure out a way to snag it and make it work.

As for the other question, probably a mix of indoor and outdoor. I plan to get a typical or close in the price range VFT this month and that’s going to be outdoors until fall. For now that will probably be used straight up for seed growing cuz I’m gonna get a couple heating pads for any plants I might get and my current ping so when the air conditioning is running I have an option for some low heat to keep them from getting overly cold.

I presume the setup will be easier if I use it as a little nursery only for now because I won’t need to worry as much about light height and humidity levels and warmth if everything I’m trying to grow has roughly the same needs.
andynorth liked this
By Jade
24 wide, 24 deep, 36 high

It will fit with a half inch to maybe an inch room at height and the other measurements are an easy gimme. I can face it whichever way will be easier to get to and have plenty of room for other stuff that’s more length than height. Definitely very pleased. I was thinking on the way down with the measuring tape at 36, there’s no way there’s gonna be enough room but there is! Like it was made for the space :D
wcrosman, Intheswamp liked this
Our Postal Workers Hard At It

That sounds like some eyeglasses we sent to a ni[…]

Tap water

You can't tell by looking at the plant, you have t[…]

I’ve never heard of the brand but if it is d[…]

I fed my trap a bug last week that was admittedly […]

Did someone say seed envelopes?

Wowza!!!! Amazing!!! Good use of some time there[…]

Received. Thank you

SASE is mailed

Bear Paw Succulent

Hello beautiful people! I just wanted to check in […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!