FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By Jade
So I’m pretty hooked on these plants, and I’d love to get more, but I recognize that getting some of the tools of the trade and perhaps some media would be wise before or alongside buying more plants.

I basically only have a few pots of different sizes, bottom trays for each, a very large bag of peat, and a small bag of perlite. So what else do I need?

I have been using a colander with a paper towel covering the holes to try to rinse medium, and I wonder if there’s a better way?

What are some recommendations for some rain buckets that won’t leech anything into the water? I say buckets because I don’t have a spare trash can, and I can’t afford a good rain catcher. When I say spend my money, I should also say I don’t get much a month as I’m on disability and I didn’t get to have enough jobs before going on it to get much out of it. But I’m committed to buying a certain amount of stuff for this monthly.

I was reading a thread about using those little lab vials for leaf pullings and cuttings. So what kind is good?

I have enough space at the moment for a few more small indoor plants, so I’m probably just getting one more double Sansi light, but I’m hoping to eventually have enough to keep a small bar top growing spot in my basement so I need to know good hanging lights, and maybe a good greenhouse if they make them that small but aren’t custom cuz those custom things are expensive shoo!

I should probably get one of those water meters just to check if I’m ever in dire straits and have to use tap water. Although now that I’m thinking about it, iodine tablets are usually a good thing to put in go bags, do they work for taking minerals out of tapwater for CPs too or just so us humans can drink it?

Is there an overall fungicide, insecticide, and whatever other icide I might need on standby to get? Any thoughts on which are good brandwise? Also I read about peroxide water being a form of fungicide and maybe insecticide, true or not? If true can I use either ouchie peroxide or food grade and mix with how many parts water to get the proper effect?

I feel like I should have like mini spades or something but maybe not?

I’m definitely getting a repotting pad because I’m messy, and I keep getting peat all over the thing my sister uses to fold clothes. I clean it up of course, but it would just be one less thing to worry about when repotting and whatnot.

Oh I also saw these little things that go in the bottom of pots so your medium doesn’t go out the holes. Any reason I shouldn’t get that? They’re like plastic mesh.

What else…Ooh I’ve seen people talking about heating pads, do I need those? The air conditioner will be running a lot in the summer so I don’t wanna freeze my indoor plants out.

I feel like I’m forgetting stuff. In fact, I’m sure I am, but let’s start here. If there’s anything obvious I’ve forgotten please feel free to suggest it.

I probably need to know where online to get good long fiber sphagnum moss. I’ve checked the stores around here and so far only seen Mosser Lee which I was warned about.

Also I haven’t found any vermiculite at all anywhere. A lot of the combos I’ve seen call for it.

And silica sand. Keep seeing that pop up but no dice with finding that either. I’m not close enough to a big city in Ohio to be able to find an actual like CP greenhouse. Or even just CP friendly it’s frustrating.

And I understand Turface is popular, but I don’t have storage space for 50lbs of anything just ftr. Also like dang that’s a lot of money isn’t it? Rhetorical.

So yeah anything else y’all want to recommend for a newbie that’s addicted and also very OCD about doing things the most proper way possible. Thanks in advance.
By andynorth
Amazon and eBay are your friend. Check both for greenhouses. You can get a small indoor one for under $40.00. I actually landed a brand new one for outside, 8x10x6 for $36.00 shipped. There are many options available. LFSM (Long Fibered Sphangum Moss). Be sure it is good quality. Better Gro is good and not overly expensive. I would look at expanding to sarracenia's and sundew's. They can be very rewarding and sarrs flowers are exceptional. Part of the reason there are so few left. Research the ones that might draw your interest. Good luck
Jade liked this
By Intheswamp
Jade wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:51 pm So I’m pretty hooked on these plants, and I’d love to get more, but I recognize that getting some of the tools of the trade and perhaps some media would be wise before or alongside buying more plants.

I basically only have a few pots of different sizes, bottom trays for each, a very large bag of peat, and a small bag of perlite. So what else do I need?
Some more perlite to balance out a 1:1 ratio of peat:perlite mix. But, if you have enough perlite for now, this can wait. As for pots...recycle, recycle, recycle...empty sour cream containers, yogurt containers, other tall "pot like" containers are free! ;)

I have been using a colander with a paper towel covering the holes to try to rinse medium, and I wonder if there’s a better way?
They make mesh bags for filtering paint in 5-gallon cans. These are very good for rinsing peat (and perlite!) in. Click this sentence for Lowe's link to paint bucket filters. Get the largest 5-gallon ones...they'll fit smaller buckets, too, plus...you want enough empty space in the bag to move the peat moss around in. Put them over a bucket, fill about halfway, dunk up and down a lot, empty water, squeeze peat moss (or sling the bag around in circles for perlite), place bag back in bucket, rinse (literally) and repeat. ;)

What are some recommendations for some rain buckets that won’t leech anything into the water? <snip>
Most any white (some other colors, too) plastic bucket will do. Lowe's has "food grade" buckets and I believe those sold at Walmart might be food grade, too. Seriously, if a bucket hasn't contained something toxic that can't be washed out a recycled it should do okay.

I was reading a thread about using those little lab vials for leaf pullings and cuttings. So what kind is good?
Those little round food "condiment" cups with the lids work pretty well for leaf cuttings and such. They're maybe not as glamorous as test tubes, but they work...as do any other small container that you might have...if you don't have a lid that fits then plastic food wrap (and a rubberband if needed) works.

I have enough space at the moment for a few more small indoor plants, so I’m probably just getting one more double Sansi light, but I’m hoping to eventually have enough to keep a small bar top growing spot in my basement so I need to know good hanging lights, and maybe a good greenhouse if they make them that small but aren’t custom cuz those custom things are expensive shoo!
Here are a couple of threads for you to look at regarding lights...
yescom-altrnatives-t59640.html
grow-lights-t59611.html

I should probably get one of those water meters just to check if I’m ever in dire straits and have to use tap water. Although now that I’m thinking about it, iodine tablets are usually a good thing to put in go bags, do they work for taking minerals out of tapwater for CPs too or just so us humans can drink it?
Forget the iodine tablets. I would say that getting a TDS meter (water meter)would be a great investment! Very handy to check your tap water, rain water, bottled water, filtered water, water water<grin>. You will find that if you're catching water off your roof that the initial run-off will have a higher TDS measurement than what comes off the roof after it's been rinsed for a short while...yep, stuff settles on the roofs from being windblown. A TDS meter takes a lot of guessing out of your water sources. Link to the TDS meter that I use (it's been a good one): TDS Meter on Amazon .

Is there an overall fungicide, insecticide, and whatever other icide I might need on standby to get? Any thoughts on which are good brandwise? Also I read about peroxide water being a form of fungicide and maybe insecticide, true or not? If true can I use either ouchie peroxide or food grade and mix with how many parts water to get the proper effect?
"Captain Jack's Dead Bug" and "BioAdvanced 3-in-1 Spray" are usually recommended. I don't know what to tell you about H2O2, though I've read of people using it to calm down algae and mold on soil surfaces. Alcohol on a piece of cloth used *lightly* can be used to "wipe up" aphids and such, though it can't get down into the cracks and crevices.

I feel like I should have like mini spades or something but maybe not?
Old forks and spoons work nicely. As do segments of chopsticks/dowels.

I’m definitely getting a repotting pad because I’m messy, and I keep getting peat all over the thing my sister uses to fold clothes. I clean it up of course, but it would just be one less thing to worry about when repotting and whatnot.
The lid off of a plastic tote might work to contain spilled ingredients. Even a garbage bag laid down on the surface.

Oh I also saw these little things that go in the bottom of pots so your medium doesn’t go out the holes. Any reason I shouldn’t get that? They’re like plastic mesh.
I vote "No" on these. I've used weed barrier fabric in the bottom of pots. They hold the soil in fine and still allow the pots to drain, BUT... I also found that when a plant grows its roots will simply circle the bottom of the pots, not letting you know it needs repotting by sending roots out the bottom. I've since stopped using the fabric (really cheap for several lifetimes of use) and have been using a layer of Better-Gro LFSM in the very bottom of the pots to keep the peat and perlite from coming out the drain holes...and it works great!

What else…Ooh I’ve seen people talking about heating pads, do I need those? The air conditioner will be running a lot in the summer so I don’t wanna freeze my indoor plants out.
They're more useful for starting seeds, in my opinion. But, they can promote more growth in older plants...if needed. I would say this would be nice to have, but not necessary.
Which plants are you considering keeping inside during the summer?

I feel like I’m forgetting stuff. In fact, I’m sure I am, but let’s start here. If there’s anything obvious I’ve forgotten please feel free to suggest it.
There'll always be "something" that might be attractive to have but that you might have in a drawer or can "make". ;) Different Pots, water trays, light, water (containers), grow-mix ingredients, and a TDS meter would be in my basic tool chest. Chemicals would probably come last. If I was going to get into serious seed-starting I might follow with a heat mat. I actually already have a heat mat from starting vegetable seeds for the garden (mostly tomato and pepper). Something I always have around indoor plants is a thermometer/hygrometer...I use some little "Govee bluetooth thermometers"...they connect to my iPhone via Bluetooth with a historical graph but also have a good display on the unit itself. Those are a few things to think about...KISS is still king, so don't get too wound up in the all the doodads and trappings. ;)

I probably need to know where online to get good long fiber sphagnum moss. I’ve checked the stores around here and so far only seen Mosser Lee which I was warned about.
Order it online from Lowe's...a link is above in another remark of mine.

Also I haven’t found any vermiculite at all anywhere. A lot of the combos I’ve seen call for it.
I don't use vermiculite.

And silica sand. Keep seeing that pop up but no dice with finding that either. I’m not close enough to a big city in Ohio to be able to find an actual like CP greenhouse. Or even just CP friendly it’s frustrating.
Don't kill yourself looking for nice, coarse sand...it's like unicorns and chicken with teeth...basically non-existent without paying an arm and a leg for a small bag (at least from what I've seen). Layer hen and "grower" granite chicken grit has been mentioned as an option...just be sure that it doesn't have any additives in it...lots of it is coming with "probiotics".<sigh> As for actual "coarse sand", look for "horticultural sand"...maybe at large plant nursery(?).

And I understand Turface is popular, but I don’t have storage space for 50lbs of anything just ftr. Also like dang that’s a lot of money isn’t it? Rhetorical.
I've seen it mentioned, checked it out, but no nothing about it. :)
So yeah anything else y’all want to recommend for a newbie that’s addicted and also very OCD about doing things the most proper way possible. Thanks in advance.
Welcome to the world of "OCD-Me"!!!!!! :lol:
andynorth, Jade liked this
By evenwind
A few additional things I use: a turkey baster (to empty trays without disturbing the pots), needle tip tweezers, fine tip pruning sheers, 20x magnifier, spray bottles for water and alcohol, small individual humidity domes, flat-edged ice cream sample spoons, squeeze bottle with blunt needle tip (to apply dots of liquid fertilizer just where needed), hand vegetable chopper (to create finely chopped sphagnum for top coats), and pill crusher (to convert betta pellets to dust).

I think I know where you're coming from but I also think that if you try to encompass the whole of the hobby at one time, you're setting yourself up for failure. Maybe start out smaller and decide on just a couple of genera for your first attempts. I'd go with Sarrs or VFTs for outside and drosera or (Mexican) pinguicula for inside...

Edit: I forgot to mention toothpicks. Lotsa toothpicks. You know, to do pokey things. And also to lift half-buried leaves out of the media during replanting sessions.
Intheswamp, Panman, andynorth and 1 others liked this
By MikeB
Other cheap sources for pots:
  • Local nurseries often have collections of pots from plants that died. Give them a good rinse and scrub (to remove old soil and fertilizer residue) and they're usable. I've found that the nurseries are more inclined to give you leftover pots at times when you're buying from them.
  • Styrofoam cups can make decent pots (the big cups: 16, 20, 22, 24, 32 ounces). Poke some holes around the sides of the base using a sharp pencil, and they're ready to go. If you don't manhandle them, the cups will last 3+ years, even in direct sun.
For saucers, save the bowls from microwave meals and takeout containers.

For a seed-germination chamber, use the leftover container from a rotisserie chicken. The base has a decent depth, and it has a tall, clear, plastic dome.
Intheswamp liked this
By Hedonista
You can also get Bettergro LFSM on Amazon with free shipping if you have prime. Lowe’s only has free shipping on $35+ orders.

I got a 50 lb bag of TechMix 2040 silica pool filter sand from Menards for ten bucks. Once you open it, the contents will fill a 5-gallon bucket.
andynorth, Jade, Intheswamp liked this
By evenwind
One contrary thought on pots and saucers: If you splurge and buy several sizes of similar pots, your collection will have a neater look. It's not too important when you're first starting out but as your collection grows, you want the eye to be caught by the plants, not a haphazard group of pots.
Jade, Intheswamp liked this
By Jade
Wow I have so much love for y’all right now. Seriously this is why I don’t google stuff until I ask here first. More minds and experience leads to more ways to do one thing. And when all the things I look at on google disagree it’s because they don’t have a bunch of people to say what the crazy stuff is.

So I’m looking up every recommendation and I super appreciate them all.

Some stuff I don’t have laying around unfortunately like those big ole white buckets. And I looked at them recently for other stuff and I truly am gobsmacked by how much they want for an empty bucket lol. There’s other places I could look tho.

So I think the only thing I don’t really have an idea for is the heating pad? I was thinking about trying some capes from the seed bank actually, but we just started having 80F weather, and as it is Ohio, it could go back to freezing, hang in the 80s, go back to Spring like 60s-70s, or a heretofore unknown super volcano could erupt beneath my feet. You just never know what you’re going to get here. We have air conditioning on right now and the window I’ve been breaking myself and bank to get room for a few plants is directly above the register.

I have it closed and partially covered on the side my last little ping is chilling at and will be all summer if possible, but I feel like the heater will eventually be needed because the pot is still cooling down more than I’d like. I also don’t want to fry the seeds if I can get them by having them outside if the weather spikes too high. I feel like at least in the beginning it would be better to do indoors because I would have better control over light and temperature, but yeah the heating pad.

Also I don’t get that Kiss statement unless you’re referring to the band @InTheSwamp, and I actually don’t get it either way. What is the king?

Oh and I wasn’t planning to have the buckets against a structure. I figured I’d get some kinda crazy minerals in that way.

I’m super tired today and not doing my best at remembering so was there anything I should have responded to and didn’t? Also sorry for being extra prone to writing novels today. Ahem everyday I guess.
By Jade
I am definitely not with it today I can’t figure out how to share the link here so I just screenshot it. So is this good? Seems to be the biggest one in my price range. A bit hard to tell when some of these are measured in cubic inches.
IMG_5520.png
IMG_5520.png (1.86 MiB) Viewed 716 times
By DewsandTraps
Do you happen to have a Lowes, Home Depot, or a store with a garden center nearby, because I bought the same thing at Lowes for around $6 a package?
Do you think that price and availability vary with location because here's the almost exact same moss (higher quality) but for $6 on amazon?
https://www.amazon.com/Sun-Bulb-50450-B ... 200&sr=8-5
Jade, MikeB liked this
By Jade
DewsandTraps wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:35 am Do you happen to have a Lowes, Home Depot, or a store with a garden center nearby, because I bought the same thing at Lowes for around $6 a package?
Do you think that price and availability vary with location because here's the almost exact same moss (higher quality) but for $6 on amazon?
https://www.amazon.com/Sun-Bulb-50450-B ... 200&sr=8-5
I have both stores nearby, but I don’t drive and I do have Prime. I will totally buy the better stuff I just didn’t know how much what you sent actually is because it is in cubic inches? I’m just confused really. If that’s the same amount or close to I’ll get that one thank you.
Question on soil

Non-ideal substrates can work out okay, particular[…]

jetfire245's Grow List

Grow list: Dionaea muscipula: SD Kronos King […]

Hello!

Welcome to the community. It's always nice to have[…]

Tap water

If your plant is about to go dry and you have no w[…]

Our Postal Workers Hard At It

The address controversy has been with the USPS bef[…]

Master Gardener Course

Anyone here ever done a master gardener certif[…]

If you have only done it once and you will be flus[…]

Can vft survive windy days?

Ok thanks. I will try not to create a venus Flying[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!