FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By Brothnaken
So I live in central Arkansas, and I want to grow some zigzag bladderwort (Utricularia subulatal) as they are of conservation concern in my state and the bug population is high, I am gonna plant them in an old growth forest that has some rocky clearings and a lot of clay, I can't test the pH, but I will before I buy the plants. Can they grow here?

I also have a few other bladderworts I want to grow.

floating bladderwort (Utricularia inflata) and greater bladderwort (Utricularia macrorhiza). They are also of conservation concern.

Here is what I am working with for water, I couldn't figure out how to get the image to display, so Google drive link.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1J8YaTz ... p=drivesdk

This is just one section, the stream is a fair weather stream, in summer it's dry, and it makes a complete loop around my property. I might be able to find some all weather spots, I have an active crawdad and frog population, I even know where the tadpoles usually are.
By ChefDean
The floating ones may work as long as the water is very mineral poor, but the others won't. Likely the water is too high in TDS, so they'll die. The nutrients in the clay and minerals in the rocks will kill the ones you plant there. When the stream dries up, it will kill them. They won't do anything for a bug problem no matter how many plants you grow as their traps are on their roots.
By MikeB
The plants will eat some of the mosquito larvae, but I don't think it will be enough to put a noticeable dent in the local mosquito population.

Also, the location where you put the plants has to be sunny. If it's shaded too much by the trees, then the bladderworts will die off from lack of light.
By Brothnaken
Okay, thanks for the tip. I don't want to fully reduce the population. It's just been getting worse so I want to introduce something to help.
Hello from New England

Welcome

Finally!!! Rain!!!!

You should check Craig's List for plastic, food-g[…]

I notice that the tds readings of my tapwater can […]

New to carnivorous plants!

I wonder if the fibers death cube traps come in no[…]

CalCarn Hitchhiker

It's too soon to be able to provide a positive ID.[…]

Fun supermarket

Spam?

The "Bisnick" mini bog

Is this normal?

Follow-up on the ventratas. I did some research on[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!