FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By AllPanicNoDisco
Hi! My name is Erika, and I’m a newbie when it comes to Venus fly traps and their care. My husband bought me one a little over a year ago, and I’ve just been googling things, and winging it. 😆 I have kept her in the window sill in my kitchen since I got her, and she’s been doing pretty well until recently. One of the traps closed on a slug. It stayed closed for nearly 2 weeks until this morning I noticed the trap had finally opened, but it’s starting to curl on the end. There are two other traps that are really small and curled on the edges, but they’ve been there for a while.. they should be bigger. I googled what could be causing the two small traps to be stunted and curled- google says improper light/water could be the cause. I have only given distilled water, and haven’t moved the plant from the window sill, so it’s had the same light source since the beginning. I don’t really have any other spots with good natural light inside my house… should I move her outside to my porch? It’s a covered porch, but it gets good indirect sunlight throughout the day. I live in northwest Florida. Humidity isn’t an issue at all lol. Any tips/advice is greatly appreciated!

Photo added for reference. I tried to get a photo with both the small, curled trap, and the trap that stayed closed for 2 weeks, then opened this morning with a curled end.
Attachments:
IMG_5172.jpeg
IMG_5172.jpeg (845.79 KiB) Viewed 249 times
By ChefDean
It's slowly dying due to lack of light. These need direct, unfiltered sunlight, and modern glass filters light enough so that it is insufficient for their needs. A cloudy day outside is still better than the sunniest windowsill you can find.
Put it outside in a spot that gets good morning light, but shaded in the afternoon. It will decline more as it adapts to the new conditions. But the new growth will be acclimated, and the plant will look ten times better in a couple of months.
MikeB, optique, Gary liked this
By Fishkeeper
She definitely needs to go outside, yes. Keep her pot in a shallow dish of appropriate water, acclimate to the best sunlight you can get, and she should thrive. Ideally put her in a pot at least 6 inches deep so she can get some good root growth, but that's far less important than the light. If your porch doesn't get enough light, you may need to try her under an indoor grow light instead.

Hey everyone! I'm back on my hunt to look for a d[…]

I sent it in the mail yesterday

CalCarn Hitchhiker

I agree with Shadow, it is too early to tell. How[…]

It isn't fully sealed, so it shouldn't be digestin[…]

So what would be the signs that I should not be us[…]

...maybe look at trading the VFT for a sundew. M[…]

Input on Neps placement

My traps and sundews do much better once they get[…]

SASE sent for April and May requests. Thanks Chef![…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!