FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By andynorth
So I bought these pools rather than the round ones that everyone else use. Reason is so I can zip tie the cage pieces I bought to keep the squirrels out. They will only be used in the summer as I have a greenhouse coming that will be used for dormancy. So should I put holes about 2 inches up and not have any saucers under my planters, put holes in them and leave the saucers under the potters, cut holes and leave the saucers or cut holes in one and not the other or what? Any and all suggestions welcome. Thank you.
Attachments:
pool.jpg
pool.jpg (44.14 KiB) Viewed 263 times
By Panman
I wouldn't cut holes as it may compromise the strength of the liner. I would use them as is but allow enough space that you could bail water out if necessary.
By andynorth
Panman wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:17 pm I wouldn't cut holes as it may compromise the strength of the liner. I would use them as is but allow enough space that you could bail water out if necessary.
OK, so leave the saucers under the planters? In the blue pool there is a drain hole for it. The yellow one is a sand pit and has a 3 inch square of mesh in the center. I am using the cover over the top of that to block water from getting out. I can easily move a couple plants if need be. Thank you.
By Fishkeeper
Agreed. Simply setting all your plants in them as-is is probably the easiest bet. You may need to drain some water out after rainstorms, though.
andynorth liked this

@InTheSwamp I have heard that idiom, and I definit[…]

Lyra request U. calcyfida Bonus N. + finlaysoniana[…]

1 year old cape!

I would really be interested in getting some see[…]

Lee’s Botanical Gardens has some drosera for[…]

Better-Gro LFSM

I show Lowes carrying both, although I had not s[…]

Rosemary Oil Miticide

The Rasta Bob's link doesn't work. I may have to […]

Garden_Nymph Requests - Cancelled

Got it. TY. I will repost this Wed. I wasnt sure. […]

Oh, I know flavas are large, given the photos of t[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!