FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By VelvetTooth
Nepenthes0260 wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:21 am To be honest, I haven’t found terracotta pots to be harmful any of the CPs I’ve been growing inside them (Drosera, Nepenthes, Roridula, Byblis, Drosophyllum, etc.). I think the fear of chemicals leaching into the soil is overexaggerated.

Darlingtonia can be tricky plants to grow in certain climates. In-situ, their habitats can get very hot during the summer, but the cold water from the seepages they tend to grow in constantly keeps the roots cool. “Squishy” plants is a common sign of overheating- if your plant is firm and growing well but just has red spots on the pitchers, it might be due to too much sunlight or just time for those pitchers to naturally die off.
They are firm but just have red spots. Is there a difference between the red spots of dying pictures vs too much sunlight?
By Panman
In that small of a pot, you probably are having a problem with heat. That size plant I would have in a pot at least double that size and an even bigger terracotta. I would also fill between the two pots with sand, and keep the sand, and the terracotta pot, wet at all times. The evaporation of the water from the terracotta is what helps the plant to cool. I recommend getting it out of your current conditions and into a cooler environment quickly, or change your setup to something that will provide some biomass for the roots and evaporation to keep cool.
By Camden
The first pic reminds me of like a heat or aun burn while the second picture reminds of like when you leave water on the leaves of some neps, were the water is on the leaves, it burns those spots. Idk if cobras are sensitive like that though. Does the side with the most burn face the sun because if so we might have our reason; since this heat wave, sun light has been a bit more intense than usual( if anyone has noticed), at least for my area.
Last edited by Camden on Fri Jun 24, 2022 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By VelvetTooth
Same for my area. Well before I had it sitting in full morning sun, so I can’t say entirely that it was specifically that side facing the sun
By VelvetTooth
Panman wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:55 pm In that small of a pot, you probably are having a problem with heat. That size plant I would have in a pot at least double that size and an even bigger terracotta. I would also fill between the two pots with sand, and keep the sand, and the terracotta pot, wet at all times. The evaporation of the water from the terracotta is what helps the plant to cool. I recommend getting it out of your current conditions and into a cooler environment quickly, or change your setup to something that will provide some biomass for the roots and evaporation to keep cool.
How long could I keep it in this pot if I move the entire plant here, no double potting? I’m afraid this is currently my biggest terracotta pot with holes besides my massive one without holes.
Attachments:
22612466-600C-4C19-8481-16D5FF872DEB.jpeg
22612466-600C-4C19-8481-16D5FF872DEB.jpeg (1.54 MiB) Viewed 1715 times
By Nepenthes0260
Has the plant started growing for the year yet? Some of my cobras are just putting up their first spring pitchers. Those all look like ratty pitchers from the previous season to me. The yellowing can be caused by too much sun.
By VelvetTooth
I do see new growth buried beneath the sphagnum. Besides that small stolon, I think these pitchers are all old. How long does it take for a cobra to make a new pitcher?
By Camden
Nepenthes0260 wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 5:28 pm Has the plant started growing for the year yet? Some of my cobras are just putting up their first spring pitchers. Those all look like ratty pitchers from the previous season to me. The yellowing can be caused by too much sun.
Yeah old seasons pitchers! I completely agree with that, they look exactly like that.
Nepenthes0260 liked this
By VelvetTooth
Nepenthes0260 wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 5:28 pm Has the plant started growing for the year yet? Some of my cobras are just putting up their first spring pitchers. Those all look like ratty pitchers from the previous season to me. The yellowing can be caused by too much sun.
During new season growth do all the old pitchers die at the same time while new growth sprouts simultaneously? I’m asking because I don’t see any good sized new pitchers, and if all these old pitchers are about to go at once I’m assuming I will basically have a small sized plant for a month.
Last edited by VelvetTooth on Fri Jun 24, 2022 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Panman
If you have a stolon that is long enough in there, you might consider cutting it and starting it in a pot kept indoors. Sort of insurance in case your outside growth goes south. That's what I did and I lost the outdoor cobra last summer so the new one stays inside under lights.
By VelvetTooth
I don’t really wanna buy lights so if that ever happens my cobra would only see windowsill lights. Could a stolon thrive in that much light? My windowsill only gets morning lights though
Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mi[…]

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!