FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Trevsod
Within the past few months I’ve gotten very interested in CP’s. I got a few fly traps a while ago and they are all doing pretty well I believe. I recently got a Cape sundew from a nursery. When I got the plant it already almost had a full flower stalk grown. It was relatively small and wasn’t sticky at all but figured it was because it was growing the flower. I recently picked up a 2nd one and it is growing a flower stalk also but seems to be very healthy. Has dew and is catching bugs. The first one Is planted in Peat/Perlite and topped with long fibered sphagnum moss. The 2nd one(healthier one) is planted in Just peat/perlite. I keep them both in a tray of distilled water and keep on my windowsill.
Could it be because it had the Sphagnum Moss?
Is it a humidity problem?
A temperature problem?(I live in swfl it’s been 80-93 consistently)
Any help is appreciated, I’ve used this forum for a lot of things before and decided to finally post on here. I hope everyone has a great day.
Attachments:
The Cape Sundew that is doing better
The Cape Sundew that is doing better
image.jpg (2.3 MiB) Viewed 1293 times
The Cape Sundew not doing well
The Cape Sundew not doing well
image.jpg (2.32 MiB) Viewed 1293 times
By Trevsod
I also have a Drosera aliciae I received 2 days ago. It doesn’t look too well but I’m guessing it’s because it was shipped and still has to adjust to the florida temperatures. I have it in peat/perlite. Besides that they’re all beautiful plants and I can’t wait for them to bounce back especially given the time of year it is.
Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg (2.32 MiB) Viewed 1292 times
723C4E67-5AAA-49AD-833F-1D1EBDFEB830.jpeg
723C4E67-5AAA-49AD-833F-1D1EBDFEB830.jpeg (2.84 MiB) Viewed 1292 times
By ChefDean
You hit it right on the head, they need time to adjust. Dews hate being transplanted, being transported, being breathed on wrong, Tuesdays, being looked at cross-eyed, and being talked to sternly. As a result, they typically pout for about a month, then they get over it. Give them good light and water, and they should be fine.
Trevsod liked this
By Intheswamp
Yep, patience. I'm still learning about that. ;)

Welcome to the forum, btw! And, as the usual greeting goes..."Be sure to check out the Seed Bank!". Two stamps and two envelopes get you some seeds of one sort or another (possibly two sorts). :mrgreen:
Trevsod liked this
By Trevsod
How do I work the Seed Bank? I just came across it and It seems very cool. Do you guys just ship them out to people? I saw some people mention some cool types of dew’s from seeds on there i’d pay for if needed.
By Intheswamp
Trevsod wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 6:44 pm How do I work the Seed Bank? I just came across it and It seems very cool. Do you guys just ship them out to people? I saw some people mention some cool types of dew’s from seeds on there i’d pay for if needed.
Go to the seed bank and look at the inventory of seeds....scroll all the way to the bottom of that message and you will find instructions.

Being new you are eligible for seeds in "Tier 0". I would probably go for one of the d. capensis varieties.

You an also request a "Bonus". In the same forum, but up at the top of the thread listings you will see a thread titled "May Bonus" you can select a seed from that post. The mixed drosera probably contains mostly rosette-type sundews...small and low-growing (but cool)...there might be some filiformis in there, too, I guess. The mixed-fliformis (threadleaf) are tall, with thin grass-like leaves...much larger plants than the rosettes

Lastly, ChefDean has been trying to corner the market on D. intermedia and he has just about succeeded only to find his three city blocks of warehouse space is filled to the max. Thus, you can also request D. intermedia seeds as an extra.

So...an order could include:
1 - Selection from "Tier 0"
1 - Bonus selection
1 - "extra" selection of D. intermedia.

Simply post a new thread in the seed bank forum requesting the seeds you want. Chef will private message you the address to mail a SASE (self-addressed-stamped-envelope) to. Address one envelope with your name and address both in the return address and the recipient address...put a stamp on it. Address another envelope to him and show his address as the return address. Now, fold up the envelope with your name on it so that it will fit inside the envelope addressed to Chef. Stick a stamp on the envelope for Chef and stick'er in the mail.

He will notify you about the status of your request and let you know when it's heading your way. If you really want to show Chef gratitude for all the hard work that he does keeping the seed bank running you can always send him small kittens. He rescues and breeds them. He's won several nationally televised cat shows. His close friends refer to him as "Kitty".

I hope this helps.

ETA: Panman has already directed you to read the instructions...but I'm sending this on, too! :mrgreen:
Atlanta Georgia Meetup

I know it's gonna be a blast!!! Wish I could come[…]

Here's the one seedling that I managed to get grow[…]

What’s happening

Btw, if you seed a flower stalk suddenly start sho[…]

Expanding the Garden

That's looking great!!! Some good-looking soil!!![…]

Counting to infinity.

Ive been searching the web for perlite for two day[…]

SASE sent, whoops, time got away from me there

Another eBay Deal

This will be interesting to see how it turns out, […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!