FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Nikson
Hey all,

I live in Georgia in a 7b zone, and this is my third year growing VFTs and Sarracenia outdoors. The weather has been super weird this year and it was like 70-80 degrees for a few weeks, so all my VFTs woke up and a few even started flowering and started growing huge leaves.

However, since the beginning of this week, it's been randomly dropping to like 29 degrees at night. It's starting to warm up to around 35 degrees at night now. It's usually around the 50-60's in the daytime.

I've been taking the plants indoors under my growlights at night whenever it drops into the freezing range, but what temperatures can VFTs/Sarracenia resist at night time when they're already out of dormancy?

Plant tax:
wcrosman liked this
By VFTnPups
They can handle temps below freezing, but it depends on the size of your pot. Small pots I would not place outside when the weather is still freezing at night. Larger pots are fine in the 30s, but your petioles and traps will look like wilted lettuce and burn in the sun. All the new growth will be fine. Once the overnight lows are safely above freezing, just place them outside permanently. All the moving back and forth inside and out isn’t good for them either.
By optique
I am in the same situation. My cannon lily's and banana trees all have frost burn. but so far i have not noticed any issues with my sarr's flower stalks.

outside plants with frost damage
ImageImage

sarr's flower stalks look OK, i have 2 carts of mostly sundews i have been pulling inside to protect nightly

ImageImage
Nikson liked this
By nimbulan
The main concern is that frost can damage new growth so if the plants are actively growing I would avoid exposing them to freezing temperatures.

Interestingly enough, we had a freak snowstorm last year that buried my plants in April but since it never actually dropped below freezing they were all fine.
PXL_20220412_141752795.jpg
PXL_20220412_141752795.jpg (78.7 KiB) Viewed 1487 times
Camden, Nikson liked this
By coorain
I'm in Atlanta and have been covering things with a sheet when I'm concerned low temperatures and haven't lost any buds yet. I do this with my blueberry bushes too, they sometimes bloom or even set fruit and a late frost can damage that easily.
Nikson liked this
By Panman
I'm south of Atlanta. I have mine covered with tarps that will be coming off this afternoon.

BTW, if you are on Facebook check out the Carnivorous Plants of Atlanta group as well as the Southeastern Carnivorous Plant Society.

BTW2, anyone south of Atlanta want to help with repotting? There will be some goodies to take home. :D
Nikson liked this
By Nikson
Sounds good, thanks for the advice peeps, and howdy to y'all in Georgia!

I'll just move everything into the garage during night time but keep them outside during the day, since it's now randomly warm again lol. Hopefully we get better weather. I want my plants to start growing, dang it!
By Panman
I just pulled the tarps off of my plants today and they will stay off until Friday night when we are supposed to drop below freezing again. Then they will stay there until Tuesday or Wednesday. I don't worry about them overheating in the sun as long as the temperature is in the 50s. There is such a mass of pots under the tarp that they somewhat regulate the temperature.
By Panman
So, I had written up this long response to the original question and then realized I had read the question wrong. :roll:

For actively growing plants, in the late winter/spring, you want to protect them from any temperature below freezing. While a one night drop below freezing probably won't kill the plant, it will damage the new growth which will set the plant back slightly. Whenever there is a chance of dropping below freezing, I make sure to cover them with a tarp. If my collection was smaller, I would put them in the garage.
Nikson liked this

Anyone had experience with these cultivars? Venus[…]

Thoughts on Predatory Plants

Hey all, I wanted to ask about your thoughts on Pr[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

Let me put a couple things together and I will pos[…]

Is This What To Look For?

Update: Just a couple pics of the end (beginning) […]

So I thought I would enter my 3 sticky guys that I[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Without pics of the location of the trigger hairs […]

Hello all 👋 as post says looking to procure a Regi[…]

Thanks everybody for all your advices and giving m[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!