FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By tross
Too the above regarding seedling. I have two tiny seedling that I started in spring indoors. I live in Cleveland, OH (Home of sports teams that choke, mistake by the lake... yes, I get it all the time :) ) It can get down into the negative temps here, but typically its anywhere from mid 20F to 40F. I have an unheated garage that I can protect my babies in. Question is that they are small. I would say as big as a pea. What is too small? Or is there a too small and should as at this size just bring them in and give them heat and light and love?
By Matt
tross wrote:What is too small?
Too small for what?
tross wrote:Or is there a too small and should as at this size just bring them in and give them heat and light and love?
All flytraps require a dormancy if they've had a full summer of growing.
By howardg
I am a brande new grower and had another dormancy question. I am in zone 5/6 so probably too cold to keep the flytraps outside without mulching etc. I have seen it suggested to keep them in an unheated garage. I have a detached unheated garage and could keep them there (there are even a few broken windows :).

However, I have also seen it suggested that the plants stay in sunlight or have available sunlight. The garage has a window so it isn't 'pitch black' but the window is right next to a tree and the amount of light that gets in is pretty minimal.

Is this OK or do they need to be sitting in the tray of water with light? I have seen mulching suggested, but wouldn't six or seven inches of mulch (that is what I have seen suggested) actually put the plant in total darkness? Likewise with doing a 'refrigerator dormancy'......no light. So I am confused about the need to provide sunlight during dormancy.

Thanks...this is my first post by the way :)

Howard
By bananaman
howardg wrote:I am a brande new grower and had another dormancy question. I am in zone 5/6 so probably too cold to keep the flytraps outside without mulching etc. I have seen it suggested to keep them in an unheated garage. I have a detached unheated garage and could keep them there (there are even a few broken windows :).

However, I have also seen it suggested that the plants stay in sunlight or have available sunlight. The garage has a window so it isn't 'pitch black' but the window is right next to a tree and the amount of light that gets in is pretty minimal.

Is this OK or do they need to be sitting in the tray of water with light? I have seen mulching suggested, but wouldn't six or seven inches of mulch (that is what I have seen suggested) actually put the plant in total darkness? Likewise with doing a 'refrigerator dormancy'......no light. So I am confused about the need to provide sunlight during dormancy.

Thanks...this is my first post by the way :)

Howard
If it’s really cold, they don’t need any light. But if it’s warmer, they do better with some light (because they can still photosynthesize). I’m not entirely sure on where the cutoff is as my winters aren’t cold enough to forego light.
bananaman liked this
By howardg
Thanks so much. So it seems the amount of light is related to the degree of cold. I’m not really sure quite how cold it will get in the garage. I do know that last winter we had quite a few days where the temps were in the single digits.

Howard
By Fieldofscreams
Im in zone 5a/b and I put my plants in my attached insulated garage and it still got well below freezing quite a few times in there, pots didn't freeze solid BUT the plant parts above the surface froze repeatedly and slowly died off, some pots looked like there wasn't anything in them at all.

I put them under a Marshydro300 on a astronomical timer so that it comes on at sunrise and turns off at sunset.

They all came right back in the spring, no losses.
Fieldofscreams liked this
By howardg
Fieldofscreams wrote:Im in zone 5a/b and I put my plants in my attached insulated garage and it still got well below freezing quite a few times in there, pots didn't freeze solid BUT the plant parts above the surface froze repeatedly and slowly died off, some pots looked like there wasn't anything in them at all.

I put them under a Marshydro300 on a astronomical timer so that it comes on at sunrise and turns off at sunset.

They all came right back in the spring, no losses.
My understanding is that it isn't the freezing that is a problem nor the roots freezing in the water but, rather, that rapid swings in the temps and the very cold winds are what might kill them. At least that is what I read. I wouldn't be able to put them under lights in the garage, just whatever little light came in on its own. Or I suppose I could put them outside and mulch them. The garage would be easier though.

Howard
By Lukebart02
I’m super nervous for my first dormancy because I don’t know what to do with my plants. I live in ohio and I know to let them stay outside until the first major frosts have passed but I don’t know what to do after that since our weather is so crazy and tends to fluctuate.I’m super scared to keep it outside in case it gets too cold or thaws then freezes...I have 2 sarrecenia hybrids and 4 Venus flytraps which the sarrs and 1 flytrap are in one big pot while the 2 big flytraps are each in a 6 inch deep pot and my small ones are in a small pot. Any input would be amazing!!
My sundew isn’t eating!

Hi guys here are my baby sundews now! Please like![…]

Hello, New to the forum

Archery is silent, just sayin'. A well flung arrow[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

Counting to infinity.

DragonsEye, I definitely did not know that, either[…]

All Mineral Media

I find pure turface stays too wet in my conditions[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!