FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By mhal408
just want to share my experience growing a B52 variant, ive had it for 2 years, about 2 months in i just leave the the VFT in the pot out in full sun outdoor, never water it just let the rain quench its thirst, the pot has a reservoir on the bottom so its like a bottom watering method. I live in indonesia so i think if people do grow vft outdoor in tropical country, do you have similar experience as me?

there are droseras in the pot grown naturally from seed flew from adjacent pot :D
Attachments:
WhatsApp Image 2022-08-24 at 4.44.06 PM.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2022-08-24 at 4.44.06 PM.jpeg (154.43 KiB) Viewed 3373 times
By plantnerdjules
Very nice, congratulations and thanks for sharing!
I'm in the tropics too. I recently bought 3 small VFTs that had a slow recovery after 2 weeks in a box (nursery far away, slow postal service). They are now starting to look a bit better. I hope my VFTs will eventually grow as well as yours :)
mhal408 liked this
By davinstewart
Your plant looks very healthy! Glad that's working well for you.

There was an ICPS article about this iirc. Let me see if I can find it.

Ya, here we go... Grow Venus flytraps indoors

tldr; The author has successfully grown vfts indoors for over 10 years. Grow them under strong light with 14 hour days and keep them constantly fed to prevent dormancy and ensure strong, healthy growth. Repot every 1-2 years.

There was also a book published that covered growing carnivorous plants in tropical climates, although it's difficult to get ahold of. Growing Carnivorous Plants in the Tropics Paperback – June 8, 2010 by Cindy Chiang Lih Pyng

Hope that helps!
mhal408 liked this
By mhal408
plantnerdjules wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 12:41 pm Does your VFT have a period of dormancy or just keep growing continuously?
no, i dont do dormancy (too noob to try fridge dormancy), it grew alot it was like a size of my thumbnail 2 years ago, i read a thread on this forum where there was a heated debate i think the title is "Dormancy is NOT necessary" where a guy in tropical climate said he never does dormancy and his vft grows a lot but his was indoor and his care was excellent whereas mine is just 100% tough love :shock:

oh hey just noticed you are in australia, im sure they have 4 seasons there (lived there for 5 years), i wonder if australian winter can trigger dormancy .
By plantnerdjules
mhal408 wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 2:37 am
no, i dont do dormancy (too noob to try fridge dormancy), it grew alot it was like a size of my thumbnail 2 years ago, i read a thread on this forum where there was a heated debate i think the title is "Dormancy is NOT necessary" where a guy in tropical climate said he never does dormancy and his vft grows a lot but his was indoor and his care was excellent whereas mine is just 100% tough love :shock:

oh hey just noticed you are in australia, im sure they have 4 seasons there (lived there for 5 years), i wonder if australian winter can trigger dormancy .
Australia is a very big island :lol:

In temperate areas of Australia there's no problem with winter triggering dormancy. But I'm a l-o-n-g way from of those parts. I'm hoping my VFTs will adapt to our tropical lowland conditions and IF they survive, I'll get to see what happens without dormancy ;)
By plantnerdjules
davinstewart wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 1:57 pm
There was also a book published that covered growing carnivorous plants in tropical climates, although it's difficult to get ahold of. Growing Carnivorous Plants in the Tropics Paperback – June 8, 2010 by Cindy Chiang Lih Pyng
Thanks davinstewart, I'd not heard bout that book, sounds very interesting, I will try to get a copy.
By mhal408
plantnerdjules wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 11:32 am
mhal408 wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 2:37 am

Australia is a very big island :lol:

In temperate areas of Australia there's no problem with winter triggering dormancy. But I'm a l-o-n-g way from of those parts. I'm hoping my VFTs will adapt to our tropical lowland conditions and IF they survive, I'll get to see what happens without dormancy ;)
oh north east australia, i was staying in NSW before so a bit south i think? i have great confidence that vft is good at adapting so best of luck to you! :D
plantnerdjules liked this
Drosera germination time

Oh, and the Twister II seeds are in this germinati[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

A greenhouse or a greenhouse terrarium? They do we[…]

Counting to infinity.

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!