FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By Aqua521
So... A quick update on some VFTs I was having trouble with a month or two ago.

I got some more tips, and it turned out that yes, they're mineral burned. Perhaps I didn't wash the media or pot well enough. I sadly didn't have much time to try to treat it, due to travel reasons, so I bagged them and left them in a more-full-than-usual water tray.

Well... A week later, and...

THEY'RE GROWING! They look so much greener than before too! Not really a fan of the flower spikes, but I heard that happens when they're burned. I think I'll keep this up for another week, and maybe try to propagate the flower spikes if they grow tall enough).
Attachments:
GROWING.png
GROWING.png (1.19 MiB) Viewed 2220 times
GROWING2.png
GROWING2.png (1.28 MiB) Viewed 2220 times
By MikeB
Venus flytraps can be pretty resilient when given half a chance.
Aqua521 liked this
By Aqua521
They're wilting again... All flowers didn't make it, and one flytrap that actually had a fighting chance of having leaves had the leaf in question wilt simply because I LIGHTLY TOUCHED IT while putting the humidity bag on it. Aside from watering them every now and then, I've pretty much left them alone. I don't know if it's the lack of bright sunlight (for a good two weeks it was almost nothing but cloudy and rainy outside). One of the bigger flytraps might not even make it, it's turned mostly brown and black and has no new growths.

I once again don't know what to do, and I'm starting to feel defeated. The last time I cared for flytraps, they weren't nearly this sensitive and wilting over the smallest inconveniences.
By Aqua521
One of the flytraps croaked ;m;... The other two are still alive, but it's sad nonetheless. I did my best...

What do I do with the leftover LFSM? I gave it a good washing after removing the flytrap (which came out of the media concerningly easily, roots and all...) and at the moment it's just kinda... Sitting in the original pot and watering tray, just without the flytrap in it.
By Intheswamp
Just to be sure... where did the wash water come from that you washed with?

If I was going to save and reuse the media (apparently the flytraps did not do well in it, though...???) I would spread it out and let it dry until I was ready to use it again.

Bagged and in deeper water than "usual"... To me It sounds like they were too wet. Unbagged I've found they only like it moist, not wet....bagged with lots of water = drowning. Just my thoughts and I'm no whiz-bang with flytraps, so take what I said with a chunk of salt.
By Aqua521
It was some fresh distilled water, and yeah, I'll take your advice on reusing the media ^^. I haven't put any water in the tray very often, and if I do it's about 1/4 inch if the soil starts to feel very dry, and the pot feels very light. The time where it was more than usual was out of travel reasons.

As for how they didn't do so well in the media, I'm honestly very confused about that. It seemed like the usual LFSM I use, and I even asked before buying it if the moss had any nutrients or not. To some extent I'm almost wondering if I didn't clean the pots well enough, because I'm keeping the smaller plant in a new pot, and aside from slow growing and one case of browning it's doing better than the rest. I'm thinking I'll leave them without the bag for a while, some of the media might be too wet either way.
By Intheswamp
I understand adding a bit of extra water when absent. Making sure your pots are deep ones can help. My thinking is that the bagging may have played a major role in the plants' declined health, if indeed too much water/wetness was the issue. Oh, and I don't think you touching a leaf hurt it...people actually massage them after feeding them.
By Aqua521
Yeah, I thought keeping them bagged and left alone for a while would help more since that's how it worked last time... In retrospect I think just a week is fine before letting the pots dry out a little (especially after travel). The pots are relatively deep (5-6 in), though the one for the small flytrap is... Well... Smaller (4 in) for the moment (It will move to a bigger pot if/when it grows bigger).

As for touching the leaf, yeah, usually touching the leaves doesn't do much. Caused it to look a little sad for a bit maybe, but never up and made a leaf croak. I thought it was these particular plants being insanely sensitive, but they were "Insanely sensitive" for a reason. Also I never knew people massaged them after feeding, interesting!
By Aqua521
I thankfully have one more left, a younger one, still with mostly green leaves. There are the slightest signs of discoloring, but not nearly as many signs of withering. I think it got lucky seeing as even when bagged, the pot dried out relatively quickly compared to the other two. I will do my best to keep this one alive ;v;.
Hello, New to the forum

Archery is silent, just sayin'. A well flung arrow[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

Counting to infinity.

DragonsEye, I definitely did not know that, either[…]

All Mineral Media

I find pure turface stays too wet in my conditions[…]

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mine[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!