FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Freebies, raffles, etc. for plants or growing supplies

Moderator: Matt

By ChefDean
I'm attempting to root a basal from a Nepenthes "Lady Luck" for a friend, but I accidentally cut two. I guess they were intertwined enough for me to make a mistake. Oopsie!
It's a decent size, about three inches across, and I was planning on leaving it on the plant because the crown looks wonky. It's not rotten, no sign of a pest, and I'm sure it'll grow out of it, but it just looks like the last kid to be chosen for kickball.
Right now, I have it wrapped in LFSM, placed in a small seed starter cell, and loosely bagged on an east facing windowsill. However, I think it might like to go to a new home. Since it is an unrooted cutting, maybe it would be best going to a more experienced grower, but this giveaway is open to all US addresses.
Winner pays shipping. I may have a small box, so it shouldn't be too much.
Drawing in a few days to try to get it out by the weekend.
I'm not as creative as others, so standard format.
1. Flopsy
2. Mopsy
3. May the fleas of a thousand Jackrabbits infest your armpits if you choose 3
4. Cotton
Remember, this is an unrooted Nepenthes basal cutting, so if you choose to enter, do a little research on how to get these to root. It appears to be relatively simple, but not quick. You must be consistent in the process to succeed.
Aaaaand go!
Panman, Camden, Shadowtski and 2 others liked this
By Bluefire
I would want one if it wasn't for the fact that I accidentally killed mine... I don't want to touch one for a while now, it was my first nep and I'm still kicking myself.
ChefDean liked this
By za419
Well, I wasn't going to enter since I've never rooted a nep cutting before, but I've rooted other plants and I have other neps and the Internet, so I can figure it out. Plus, no one else is entering, so...

1. za419 - I'll try and get the ball rolling?
By Intheswamp
1. za419 - I'll try and get the ball rolling?
2. Thack - Rooted all my Tiveyi cutings
4. Huntsmanshorn - Sounds like fun!
5. Intheswamp - Here kitty, kitty, kitty…
By ChefDean
Let's go ahead and call this, and draw out a winner.
Screenshot_20230413_105259_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20230413_105259_Chrome.jpg (154.52 KiB) Viewed 1585 times
Looks like our own ol' Big Al is the winner! Roll Tide! (I wonder how many will see what I did wrong there) Congrats Intheswamp.
I already have your address, and I think I have a small box to save a few bucks. However, do you want regular first class which can take longer, but is cheaper? Or do you want to go flat rate at $10, and have it only take two to three days?
Let me know your thoughts, and I can possibly get it out this weekend so you'll have it about the first of next week.
Camden, Intheswamp liked this
By Supercazzola
Dean you may be right. There may be a basal. I need to look closer when I’m home. It’s toward the back of my shelf in the grow tent so I need to get my head back there to look. Usually do some trimming on each shelf once a quarter so I’ll be there within a month
ChefDean liked this
By ChefDean
Panman wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 6:42 pm Congratulations, but I thought he was from L.A.
No self respecting man from The South will admit any affiliation with Los Angeles.
However, the address he has given me says AL. But he's getting long in the tooth, so he could have meant LA. Though looking up the address in LA and AL, it only comes up in AL.
By Intheswamp
Yippieeeee!!!!!! Well, thanky, thanky Chef!!!! A mighty fine prize this evening, I might say!!! Looking at the temperatures it looks like the low-80's for the highs over the next week down here. You're just north of the gulf that puts you pretty close to me...plus, it's downhill so there's that, too. No typhoons or large scale volcano eruptions are predicted during that time either for the mule trace between here and there...or would that be there and here...???? Inniehow, do I want it 1st class or priority, that is the question, to be or not to be....but my question has always been "be what". But, then Rip ended up just being a guy with a really long beard so it didn't really matter in regards to being or not...I guess. Sometimes things get a bit foggy as you're starting to get sleepy down in the hollow. So, we're back at square one (or two, depends on whether your counting by one's or two's, I reckon". 1st class or flat-rate...decisions, decisions, decisions....kinda like when you order a soda at a fast food joint...do you want a large one or just a small one and go back and fill it up a bunch of times...and, will you want a big cup to take with you when you leave or are you just gonna dump it in the can on the way out the door. Rip never had that problem because he slept through it all...ever wonder how he survived all that time without eating or drinking anything? Weird, eh? Then there was that headless guy riding the pony...that was weird, too. But, it's been fifty years since I read the story so it's probably changed by now...new witnesses, DNA, forensic science advances, etc.,. The moral of the story is never take a drink with a bunch of dwarfs playing ninepin.

Ok, back to the Lady Luck...which should be luckier than ol' Rip was...imagine, those dwarfs slippin' ol' Rip a mickey, innyhow.

Can anybody tell it's been a long day? Really about as long as yesterday, but, you know whaddamean.

Tell ya what, Chef. I'll PM/DM/etc you. :D

Thanks again!!!!

Now, (I bet ya'll thought I was gonna drop it, eh?...nadda chance!!!)

LA L.A. L-A .....all, at some point in time have been codewords for "lower Alabama". Please, don't divulge this information, I'd hate for anyone guarding the air to get in trouble for leaking this info. Yes, "LA" or "L.A.", has for years been understood, among *certain* privy circles, to mean "Lower Alabama". Now, what is this "Los Angeles" thing ya'll are talking about??? Is that a place or codeword for something? Kinda makes me think of Moe, Larry, and Joe...I think they were cousins to Rip...or was it just Moe and Shemp that were Rip's kin?

And remember: "If we don’t succeed, we run the risk of failure." ~ Dan Quayle
So enter these contests often, vote often, breath often...
That's all I got to say about this except, thanks again Chef!!! :mrgreen:

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!