FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Freebies, raffles, etc. for plants or growing supplies

Moderator: Matt

By ChefDean
Panman wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 1:20 am L.A. Lower Alabama
Well, I grew up in the southwest, so I never made that connection. L.A. always meant Los Angeles, my apologies.
See kids?! You learn something new every day.
By Intheswamp
It's no big deal...just part of your continuing education, Chef. You being from the southwest I can see you probably need to take a remedial Southernese class. Doesn't the university you're attending offer, at a minimum, RS101? Nothing to be embarrassed about, all of us can't be blessed so as to be born in the South. :mrgreen:
By Panman
Intheswamp wrote:Nothing to be embarrassed about, all of us can't be blessed so as to be born in the South.
To let you in on a little secret, I wasn't born in the south. I was born and raised in New Jersey. I had the fortune, in my senior year or college, to meet and fall in love with a sweet, Georgia peach. I moved to Georgia 2 years after that and have never looked back (well, I do look back longingly at Kosher delis and good bagels, but other than that, no).
By Intheswamp
<chuckle> Those Georgia peaches are dangerous to a fella's freedom!!! Seems I had to go out of state to find my wonderful bride...had to jump the Chattahoochee over to Columbus, Georgia, to bring home to Alabama. But, in all transparency, she grew up on this side of the river in Eufaula! ;)

By now you and Chef are blood-initiated to the south, anyhow....the mosquitoes will get you every time!!! :lol:

Besides the mosquitoes, once a person moves down here and *stays* for more than a couple of years I figure they've earned a right to be "southern"...afterall, it takes some kinda doin' to get use to the heat and humidity here! ;)
By Intheswamp
Just thought that I would let everybody know that Lady Luck arrived at my place yesterday!!! No, unfortunately I didn't win the lottery nor did the ghost of Ed McMahon show up at my door with a giant-sized check. BUT, almost as good the Lady Luck cutting from Chef made it's grande arrival!!!! :mrgreen: The package came with a minimum of mule spit on the outside (I think the lady-what-rides-the-mule is trying to train the mule to put letters and packages in the mailboxes so she can sleep on her route). Anyhow, getting past the mule slobber didn't deter me from ripping *carefully* into the box that had "Live Plants" written on the side. (I just wish that lady would give the mule a mint or some chewing gum once in a while...that mules mouth odor kinda reminds me of the chicken manure spreader passing by the house, except not that fresh!!! :shock: )

Anyhoo, upon opening the box I found Lady Luck nestled down in a blanket of wonderful bubblewrap. The plant itself was well taped with packing to hold in the growing/rooting medium while it was in transit. *Very* nicely done! (Chef *does* know how to do *some* things, right...even being the cat-lover he is :mrgreen: ). I didn't get to open it until last night so all I did was unwrap it, check it out a bit, and slip it into a ziplock for humidity control. I'm hoping today to up-pot it for it's continued rooting process.

The ventrata that Panman (thanks @Panman !) gifted me with during his nep extravaganza giveaway appears to be doing well so I figure I will use the same culture/environment for the Lady Luck. 50:50 peat perlite. Moist with a little bit of water in the bottom of the ziplock. Ambient, indirect light from a garage window. Opened every day or two for some fresh air.

The Lacy Luck just doubled the number of pots of neps that I have!!!! I've read that both are good beginner plants so I'm really hoping I can get these two growing!!! If it wasn't for FTC and the kind and generous hearts of folks here I wouldn't be growing these now. And, others have been kind, too! I hope to be able to "pass it on" one day, once I get past the fungus gnats, squirrels, missed a day watering :roll: , and other self and outside induced problems! :) I'm getting there, though!!! :D

Thanks again, Chef!!!!! You're one good dude!!!!! :!: :!: :!:
Camden liked this

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Drosera germination time

Re: germination time, I got some d. madagascariens[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!