FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Intheswamp
Thanks for the links. Now I'm a bit perplexed on the idea of using pine debris. It seems a couple of folks with some good equipment and knowledge did some experimenting with pine needles. The conclusions that I've seen from these people is that fresh (green) pine needles have pH of around 3.8 but when the debris composted the pH dropped down to a pH of +/-7 (leaning more to the + side). :?: I thought I was gonna have a world-supply of growmix behind the house but I guess I need to reassess that idea. It seems sulfur or some other acidifying chemical would have to be added. :| I'm waiting for member acceptance to check the "peat free" FB group out...that will be interesting.

My problem with coir is the high salt content that is the norm rather than the exception. My faucet water's TDS measurements are 325+ppm so that isn't usable water for rinsing. I would burn through my collected rain water pretty fast if I used it to wash a large volume of coir...and down here in south Alabama we go through some somewhat hot and dry spells during the summer where that rain water is precious. :( I really haven't checked pricing of it so I don't know how the cost compares to peat moss.

Maybe the sulfur/pine combination is the way to go...but it seems it's adding another layer of complexity to something that is fairly simple. It will be interesting to see what Morely says in the FB group.
By nimbulan
Various sorts of conifer bark are a common alternative to peat and is widely used for Sarracenia in the UK, but it unfortunately decomposes much more quickly, requiring frequent repotting. And of course you can't guarantee that any particular plant will grow well in it.

On the topic of coco coir, while it can be used for some CPs (Nepenthes and apparently flytraps will grow really well in it,) it's definitely not a universal solution and arguably LESS sustainable than peat since coconuts are largely grown through the same rainforest-destroying cultivation methods as oil palms. It also requires extremely thorough and time-consuming rinsing (we're talking a week minimum.)
By alecStewart1
steve booth wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 10:16 am Mike King for instance uses a mix of pine bark and granite grit and has done for years now,
Would that be something like this?
https://getbusygardening.com/gritty-soil/

(that was the first link that came up in my search)

Is that good for all carnivorous plants or just sarrs and flytraps?
By alecStewart1
If anyone was interested, I did some looking and this brand of coir seems to be considered good. It alleges a low EC and pH. According their graphic you're supposedly soaking it for about a few hours which really sucks.

I'd be interested if pine bark/needles would work for VFTs.
By steve booth
Hi Alec
Would that be something like this?
https://getbusygardening.com/gritty-soil/

Not quite, FYI here is his mix from an interview he did in 2017
'all my most recent divided specimens are in a peat-free mix of milled pine bark (e.g. Melcourt Growbark), Cornish grit and perlite, to a ratio of 2:1:1. The plants grow better in it and as I repot the plants which are still in the old peat mix, they too will be transferred into this mix. Some Sarracenia are growing in pure live Sphagnum like S. psittacina.'

And it's important to use granite grit to ensure the grit doesn't break down and release nutrients. He also puts a top cover of the pine bark on the pots, he thinks this reduces fungus encroaching.
It is interesting that he says the plants grow better in it. I grow a lot of Sarracenia and VFTs in pure live Sphagnum, and they too do very well.

Cheers
Steve
Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , You can send me the info sure, thank[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Here we have a volunteer who is sharing their flyt[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

This is the best I can offer since I do not grow i[…]

You might want to try searching for online plant s[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

I got this baby in one of HH contests I believe li[…]

You should post one in the photo contest. I would […]

Along with that ^^^^, something I had heard to m[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1644. I'll PM[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!