FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By That one plant boi
Hello all.

I've been looking around the web for opinions on using sand in cp mixes and the general idea seems to be that it can be very beneficial for them. I'd like to try out my own peat, sand and perlite mix, but have been challenged in finding what type of sand to use, as well as notable brands.

Any help with this?
Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

By Carnies
I use HTH Pool Filter sand and Palmetto Pool Filter sand, they aren't that coarse but they work for me. Palmetto Pool Filter Sand can be found on Amazon, and HTH can be found at your local ACE Hardware.

post417195.html#p417131 - my pool filter sand review.
By That one plant boi
Carnies wrote:I use HTH Pool Filter sand and Palmetto Pool Filter sand, they aren't that coarse but they work for me. Palmetto Pool Filter Sand can be found on Amazon, and HTH can be found at your local ACE Hardware.

post417195.html#p417131 - my pool filter sand review.
Oh cool! That was one of the brands I came across when I was searching the web. Will have to go check out ace later. Thanks!

By davinstewart
I'm going to throw my $0.02 in here.

I've found that sand is not useful in carnivorous plant soil mixes. It adds weight to the soil and enhances compaction.

I much prefer to use perlite with peat which lightens the mixture and at ratios of 50-60% significantly improve drainage.

I've used sand mixes extensively in the past and while they do work, in my experience they don't work as well as perlite mixes.

I'll get off my soapbox now.
By MikeB
When I started out ages ago, I used white silica sand from an aquarium store. No bits of seashell or coral in the sand, and the store sold it by the pound.

Many years (and moves) later, I used this sand. It worked well, but as the number of my plants increased, it just wasn't cost-effective.

Now I use filter sand from Southern Products & Silica Company, purchased at a local farm-supply store. It's good stuff from a local outfit in Hoffman, North Carolina.

My standard carnivorous plant soil is a 3:1:1 mix of peat moss, perlite, and coarse sand. All of my plants grow well in it. I'd like to try pumice in place of perlite (won't float out of the soil during heavy rains, adds weight to the pot, can be reused), but pumice is hard to come by around here.
By That one plant boi
davinstewart wrote:I'm going to throw my $0.02 in here.

I've found that sand is not useful in carnivorous plant soil mixes. It adds weight to the soil and enhances compaction.

I much prefer to use perlite with peat which lightens the mixture and at ratios of 50-60% significantly improve drainage.

I've used sand mixes extensively in the past and while they do work, in my experience they don't work as well as perlite mixes.

I'll get off my soapbox now.
I actually really agree with you on this, especially after going to two ace hardware stores that said they had it in stock, only for them to be out when I got there, I kinda just gave up on it lol. I've been using peat and perlite for years and will just stick with that.

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bloo[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? No, He hates ants. But I am pretty sur[…]

Sarracenia ID

They're either leucophylla or x moorei (flava x l[…]

I will need to check out our local TJ's. Normally […]

Order received. Your order number is 1642. I'll PM[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

This was the shipment that arrived while I was the[…]

What’s happening

It was rot Im not sure if it was root rot or crown[…]

Congrats on being a new flytrap owner! The trap wi[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!