FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By jetfire245
Intheswamp wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 6:14 pm @Lain, where are you located. I'm curious about your 800 TDS water! I thought my 325 was bad!!! :shock:
This may just be a flytrapcare record. I haven't heard of water that bad yet. When I reccomended the zero water filter I did that assuming this person did not have the worst water I've heard of.

Wow yeah, you're gonna need a hell of a lot more than that. I pity the reverse osmosis system that has to deal with that 😂

I think if you distilled that 800ppm water there would just be a bunch of rocks left.
By Lain
I haven't tested for a while and just remembered that recently new water pipes were installed so out of curiousity I tested the water again it's 620 now but still won't net me much with a zero water filter.. I'm thinking around 5 gallons or so.

I know plenty of others who get convinced zero water is the perfect solution that only gets 7 gallons per filter so it's why I always advise people to test their water before buying.
Intheswamp liked this
By Intheswamp
I’m pretty sure there’s some places with *much* higher TDS than 800ppm. I was on a long road trip and stopped and refilled my water jug at a faucet outside of a convenience store in Arkansas one day, turned the jar up and took a big swig…my lips instantly turned inside out!!! :shock: I went inside and asked the guy there what was wrong with there water. His response was “You didn’t drink the water did you?!!!” :o :o :o :o Sulphur!!!!! At least I lived to tell the story!!!! :lol: Ain’t no telling how high that water’s TDS is!!!!
By jetfire245
Intheswamp wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 10:54 pm I’m pretty sure there’s some places with *much* higher TDS than 800ppm. I was on a long road trip and stopped and refilled my water jug at a faucet outside of a convenience store in Arkansas one day, turned the jar up and took a big swig…my lips instantly turned inside out!!! :shock: I went inside and asked the guy there what was wrong with there water. His response was “You didn’t drink the water did you?!!!” :o :o :o :o Sulphur!!!!! At least I lived to tell the story!!!! :lol: Ain’t no telling how high that water’s TDS is!!!!
No doubt if you gave that water to your plants, you could light a match and watch the fireworks lol.
Intheswamp liked this
By gatoruss
I repotted the VFTs into a single pot last night. looking a little droopy this morning. Medium is moist+...below are photos of plants in some morning sun. This location gets sun in morning and laternin afternoon, and is in shade of oak rest of the day. I thought I would keep them there while the acclimate, moving to locations with more sun every few days. Or, while acclimating, should I put under indoor light while not in direct sun?
Attachments:
20220801_081048.jpg
20220801_081048.jpg (2.57 MiB) Viewed 1620 times
20220801_081114.jpg
20220801_081114.jpg (3.4 MiB) Viewed 1620 times
20220801_081105.jpg
20220801_081105.jpg (4.62 MiB) Viewed 1620 times
By Intheswamp
jetfire245 wrote:
Intheswamp wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 10:54 pm I’m pretty sure there’s some places with *much* higher TDS than 800ppm. I was on a long road trip and stopped and refilled my water jug at a faucet outside of a convenience store in Arkansas one day, turned the jar up and took a big swig…my lips instantly turned inside out!!! :shock: I went inside and asked the guy there what was wrong with there water. His response was “You didn’t drink the water did you?!!!” :o :o :o :o Sulphur!!!!! At least I lived to tell the story!!!! :lol: Ain’t no telling how high that water’s TDS is!!!!
No doubt if you gave that water to your plants, you could light a match and watch the fireworks lol.
My lips curl up every time I think of that water!!!
By Intheswamp
gatoruss wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 12:24 pm I repotted the VFTs into a single pot last night. looking a little droopy this morning. Medium is moist+...below are photos of plants in some morning sun. This location gets sun in morning and laternin afternoon, and is in shade of oak rest of the day. I thought I would keep them there while the acclimate, moving to locations with more sun every few days. Or, while acclimating, should I put under indoor light while not in direct sun?
Under the oak tree sounds pretty good. Your plants *may* look rough for a month or two, and it's kind of late in the year, but they will start looking better from the full sunlight that you're giving them. I think I kinda sunburned my rescues when I first got them. They're looking good now after enduring out south Alabama heat. Don't get discouraged if they look a little be rough. Just don't water-log them but definitely keep them moist. How deep is the pot that you have them in? Keep a "little" water in your tray, maybe 1/2", let it dry, and refill. I occasionally topwater mine, too. If the water looks dark after topwatering I'll dump it and add a little clean back in the saucer...in cooler water I most likely won't be having standing water in the tray but during the heat I'll keep it there.

Your soil does look very wet, but after transplanting a heavy watering will help the grow-mix settle around the roots good. You might want to let the pot stand with the tray out from beneath it for a day or so so it can drain freely. Then once it drains down a bit slide the tray back beneath it. Be testing the weight of the pot so you can get an idea of a "dry" pot, or "wet" pot, or a "just right" pot. ;)

ETA: To correct the "out from beneath the it" part!!!<grin>
By gatoruss
Intheswamp wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 12:37 pm You might want to let the pot stand with the tray out from beneath it for a day or so so it can drain freely. Then once it drains down a bit slide the tray back beneath it. Be testing the weight of the pot so you can get an idea of a "dry" pot, or "wet" pot, or a "just right" pot. ;)
I took tray from beneath to let it drain.

Thanks!
By Intheswamp
Did you notice who the grower was? Should've been on the box.

ETA: Never mind...I looked back at your first post and the image shows "Botanical Wonders".
By NightRaider
I actually briefly considered a zero water pitcher to supplement when I'm out of both rainwater and dehumidifier water, but at the very best you'd be getting the 20 gallons rated per filter but more likely closer to the 7 gallons mentioned earlier, and at the quoted $12.50/filter it's not much cheaper if not more than just buying jugs. Meanwhile, you can get an RO Buddie that averages around $10 for the recommended filter changes every 300-400 gallons for $62. To compare, you can get a ZW pitcher and ~3.5 filters including the one that comes with the pitcher for the same price, which gets you between 25 (7 per) and 70 (rated 20 per) gallons total while generating much more plastic waste in the process. So while it's a fine solution for if you just have a very few plants to water and like the convenience of a pitcher, it's not the best or really even a good solution in my view either financially or environmentally once you get past half a dozen plants or so or a few months of small-scale watering.
By gatoruss
After photographing plants yesterday, the plants seemed to look worse as day progressed (may too much sun...maybe residual shock from transplant/change in environment).

But today, I think they look as good as or better than in yesterday's photos. is that my imagination/wishful thinking?
Attachments:
20220802_115102.jpg
20220802_115102.jpg (4.45 MiB) Viewed 1477 times
20220802_115108.jpg
20220802_115108.jpg (4.16 MiB) Viewed 1477 times
20220802_115114.jpg
20220802_115114.jpg (4.03 MiB) Viewed 1477 times
20220802_115116.jpg
20220802_115116.jpg (4.14 MiB) Viewed 1477 times
By jetfire245
NightRaider wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 5:14 pm I actually briefly considered a zero water pitcher to supplement when I'm out of both rainwater and dehumidifier water, but at the very best you'd be getting the 20 gallons rated per filter but more likely closer to the 7 gallons mentioned earlier, and at the quoted $12.50/filter it's not much cheaper if not more than just buying jugs. Meanwhile, you can get an RO Buddie that averages around $10 for the recommended filter changes every 300-400 gallons for $62. To compare, you can get a ZW pitcher and ~3.5 filters including the one that comes with the pitcher for the same price, which gets you between 25 (7 per) and 70 (rated 20 per) gallons total while generating much more plastic waste in the process. So while it's a fine solution for if you just have a very few plants to water and like the convenience of a pitcher, it's not the best or really even a good solution in my view either financially or environmentally once you get past half a dozen plants or so or a few months of small-scale watering.
Yup exactly. I got my pitcher when I had about 8 plants. Now I'm a little over double that and quickly outgrew the production rate of the zero water pitcher. It's an extreme pain to constantly fill the pitcher just to get a gallon out of it. Really looking forward to the RO buddy so I can fill water and forget it.
Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

Drosera germination time

Oh, and the Twister II seeds are in this germinati[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

A greenhouse or a greenhouse terrarium? They do we[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!