FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Post any care guides or tutorials here.

Moderator: Matt

By roarke
Catch insects :
Get a plastic bottle with the above part cut, and attach a string at the mouth of the bottle. Put some fruits and vegetables peels inside and when they root and smell of course you get the chance to attract insects. If you add honey or vinegar and the insects feast to your honey and/or vinegar, i don't know if the insects with honey and/or vinegar inside their "belly" will harm the carnivorous plants, when you will feed them. So maybe you will want to leave only fruits and vegetables peels without honey and/or vinegar, so the insects will not be to "acidic food". You could cut a plastic bottle in half and the other side is reversed.
ImageImage

Raise earthworms for nephentes :
For raising earthworms you may want to fallow the next advices (and get worms castings, compost and worm tea in the process). First get 2 large buckets (the larger the better). On the bottom of the above bucket, the holes are for the worms castings (the poop) and compost to drop. The above bucket must be filled with soil (i filled the bucket 70 % with soil) and bits of paper on the bottom and above. The below bucket is empty and is getting castings (i was getting few, because the holes where small). The above bucket must sit tightly in the other one. In the soil you may put vegetables (but not citrus or acidic foods), like potatoes peelings, tomatoes, dry leaves of different plants, roots. As you can see in the 4th image, small potatoes plantlets will develop.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Warning :
Keep the buckets away from light, in a shady cool place.
Do not feed meat, eggs, oils, fats, citrus or acidic foods to your worms.
If you want to put earthworms in nephentes pitchers, feeding in smaller doses is best and cut the earthworms in small pieces, as i read somewhere, and the pitchers must be developed, not to young.
I myself didn't try yet putting cut earthworms in my pitchers, because i give them insects. This tutorial is not try-and-see kind off tutorial, because some people are feeding nephentes with earthworms (no negative results found yet).
roarke, roarke, roarke liked this
Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , You can send me the info sure, thank[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Here we have a volunteer who is sharing their flyt[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

This is the best I can offer since I do not grow i[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

I got this baby in one of HH contests I believe li[…]

You should post one in the photo contest. I would […]

Along with that ^^^^, something I had heard to m[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1644. I'll PM[…]

Flower stalks for sale

I have three sundews, a typical red VFT, and ten V[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!