FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Post your experience here, good or bad, to help others in future transactions

Moderator: Matt

By MikeB
MaxVft wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:09 am Wait a minute...

On the sales page it clearly listed that it was 'Per plant, NOT per pot'.
I was expecting one plant per pot. Surprise!
MaxVft liked this
By Carnies
So, I was looking for some Dionaea M. 'Ginormous' and MikeB PM'ed me saying he could send me some small divisions FOR FREE! I then proceeded to ask him if he had any Dionaea M. 'Flaming Lips' for sale, and he sold me some for $15! When I received the package, instead of Dionaea M. 'Ginormous' and 'Flaming Lips' there was a whole division of 'Royal Red', Drosera filiformis and Drosera rotundifolia! He also included two whole seed packets! Do not hesitate to purchase from MikeB!
By MikeB
Carnies wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:27 pm When I received the package, instead of Dionaea M. 'Ginormous' and 'Flaming Lips'
Not "instead of" but "in addition to". I sent Carnies some nice cultivars to add to his collection. I'm glad to share some of my plants with a budding entrepreneur (pun intended). I didn't have anyone to encourage my love of carnivorous plants when I was 12. I hope you have a big, healthy crop in the spring!

MikeB
MaxVft, Panman, Carnies liked this
By Panman
I just received two yellow flytraps that I bought from MikeB. They are beautiful and very large. Mike has terrific plants.
MikeB liked this
By Intheswamp
I just thought I'd mention that MikeB is a predatory CP enabler. Out of the clear blue he sends me a message asking if I had any red flytraps. I think he had read a post or two of mine where I was struggling in the southern heat and sunshine with some typical rescues from Wallyworld and that I had to give up on sundews due to nowhere out of the heat to grow them. Naturally I told him I didn't have any red flytraps...it's then when I'm sure a gleam (or was it a glint) in his eyes appeared (I wasn't there so I really could't tell nor do I have access to NSA's covert surveillance system (which I *know* watches all of our carnivorous plant projects). Probably one corner of his mouth turned upwards in a sly grin, too. The response I got from him was, "These are babies and I'm gonna send you some D. Intermedia seedlings with them, too! Oh, and don't worry, just grow the sundews like you do the red flytraps...out in the full sun, that's the way they've been growing!!! Send me your address." Shoot...I sent'im my address...I ain't dumb!!!! :mrgreen: :lol:

I've got those red babies out in the sun along with the sundews. It was amazing the number in that wad of sphagnum moss they arrived in. I was terrified when I got them out of the mailbox...remember, we have a heatwave going on and our BLACK rural mailbox sits out in the full sun!!! When I took them out of the box they were *very* warm...I was afraid they had overheated. I think it just made them meaner!!!!<grin> I mixed up some peat moss and perlite and set them out on my old deck...in full sun. The red traps and intermedias have been in the pot for six days now, they seem to be settling in nicely to this heatwave we're having. I'm not sure but what Mike hasn't been training these plants to be attack plants. None of the traps or sundews are over an inch tall and the widest spread is in the sundews at *maybe* an inch. Check these out...do these look like your good little mannerly CPs to you???? :lol:
IMG_7890a (Custom).JPG
IMG_7890a (Custom).JPG (518.66 KiB) Viewed 2691 times
IMG_7882a (Custom).JPG
IMG_7882a (Custom).JPG (272.57 KiB) Viewed 2691 times
[/attachment]
IMG_7869a (Custom).JPG
IMG_7869a (Custom).JPG (381.53 KiB) Viewed 2691 times
IMG_7865a (Custom).JPG
IMG_7865a (Custom).JPG (301.51 KiB) Viewed 2691 times
And this one....an apparent stowaway....some type of filiformis? When I found it I thought it was just a dead plant of some kind. But, I had to plant it. :mrgreen: It wasn't long before it was showing me it was definitely alive and well and just waiting to show the intermedias how to do things!!!!! :lol: Hmmm, I think this one might be the tallest one in this raucous gang.
IMG_7877a (Custom).JPG
IMG_7877a (Custom).JPG (235.73 KiB) Viewed 2691 times
Thanks Mike! You picked me up when I was pretty down. :)
Ed
Sundews69, MikeB liked this
By Intheswamp
thepitchergrower wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 9:19 pm The stowaway filiformis might be a D. x hybrida.
I've really been wanting some d. filiformis.tracyi for the simple reason that it is *supposed* to grow around here...actually I've found notes that they grow within 10-12 miles from me. I figure if it grows here I can grow it outside on the deck, I mean those rascals don't have AC units in the wild (though they do have that big, giant, wonderful heat/cool-sink called "the earth" to grow in that helps moderate extreme temperatures. :| ) I'm still on the lookout for tracyi but I hope the stowaway will get established and get some size on it...that will be cool. :D D. intermedia is also a local so Mike has me well covered with them (mean little suckers, too! :lol: ) :)
Sundews69 liked this
By Sundews69
@MikeB, Do you have a sales list?
By MikeB
Intheswamp wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 9:07 pmAnd this one....an apparent stowaway....some type of filiformis? When I found it I thought it was just a dead plant of some kind. But, I had to plant it. :mrgreen: It wasn't long before it was showing me it was definitely alive and well and just waiting to show the intermedias how to do things!!!!! :lol: Hmmm, I think this one might be the tallest one in this raucous gang.
That should be a Drosera filiformis var. filiformis - New Jersey pinelands. I have a 14-inch / 35-centimeter bowl pot that's full of them. When they bloomed last year, they dropped seeds everywhere. They're vying with the intermedias to see who can colonize the most pots.

I'm working on some filiformis var. filiformis - Old Dock, North Carolina plants. I bought 2 packets of seeds last fall, and now I have 2 pots full of little seedlings. The North Carolina plants are supposed to get noticeably taller than their New Jersey cousins.
Intheswamp wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 9:58 pm I've really been wanting some d. filiformis.tracyi for the simple reason that it is *supposed* to grow around here...actually I've found notes that they grow within 10-12 miles from me.
FYI - Flytrap King (near Asheville, NC) is selling Drosera tracyi for $15, comes in a 4-inch pot. If you want more of them, it's easy to propagate via leaf cuttings. I'm doing that with Drosera x 'Dreamsicle', and I have 30-40 of them to move to individual pots now.
Intheswamp liked this
By MikeB
Sundews69 wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 11:08 pm @MikeB, Do you have a sales list?
I'll try to post one by Monday evening. I need to thin down my collection to reduce my water usage (takes me 20 gallons and 1.5 hours to water everything now).
Sundews69 liked this
By Intheswamp
MikeB wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 4:16 am
Intheswamp wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 9:07 pmAnd this one....an apparent stowaway....some type of filiformis? <snip>
MikeB wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 4:16 am That should be a Drosera filiformis var. filiformis - New Jersey pinelands. I have a 14-inch / 35-centimeter bowl pot that's full of them. When they bloomed last year, they dropped seeds everywhere. They're vying with the intermedias to see who can colonize the most pots.

I'm working on some filiformis var. filiformis - Old Dock, North Carolina plants. I bought 2 packets of seeds last fall, and now I have 2 pots full of little seedlings. The North Carolina plants are supposed to get noticeably taller than their New Jersey cousins.
Thanks for the ID, Mike. I've updated my giganormous grow-list. :D I'm hoping this one will do well, though I wonder about its ability to handle the heat down here...it looks like there's about an 8F-degree difference between our locations. Everything is going to get a test come Thursday....predicted 104F for the high. :shock: :|
MikeB wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 4:16 am
Intheswamp wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 9:58 pm I've really been wanting some d. filiformis.tracyi for the simple reason that it is *supposed* to grow around here...actually I've found notes that they grow within 10-12 miles from me.
MikeB wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 4:16 am FYI - Flytrap King (near Asheville, NC) is selling Drosera tracyi for $15, comes in a 4-inch pot. If you want more of them, it's easy to propagate via leaf cuttings. I'm doing that with Drosera x 'Dreamsicle', and I have 30-40 of them to move to individual pots now.
Yeah, the little wiry piece of plant matter got my attention...I figured "why not plant it?". :lol: There were two leaves but apparently one was dead as it hasn't produced any dew and remains withered-looking. I was tickled to see the other one producing dew, though!!! :D

Thanks for the heads up on Flytrapking. I will definitely keep him in mind. For a single plant, though, the shipping is about as much as a plant. I'd need to order several different plants to justify the shipping cost, though I'm sure the shipping amount is worth the care they give the plants preparing them for shipping. I'll keep him in mind for a special treat one day! :)

I checked out your leaf-cutting propagation of Drosera x 'Dreamsicle' and that looks very interesting!!! I started to ask some questions but restrained myself from hijacking this thread (see ya in the other thread<grin>).
By hollyhock
All I can say is wow. I definitely echo everything that has been said and shared about transaction with Mike B.
100 % awesome experience
100% awesome quality plants
100% awesome generosity
100% awesome packing and shipping
I could continue...
Photo of my purchase says it all :D
Attachments:
20220825_121222.jpg
20220825_121222.jpg (2.46 MiB) Viewed 2257 times
MikeB liked this
My sundew isn’t eating!

Hi guys here are my baby sundews now! Please like![…]

Hello, New to the forum

Archery is silent, just sayin'. A well flung arrow[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

Counting to infinity.

DragonsEye, I definitely did not know that, either[…]

All Mineral Media

I find pure turface stays too wet in my conditions[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!