FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions on how to propagate your plants sexually and asexually, by seed, natural division or leaf pulling

Moderator: Matt

By Panman
It is hard to say from the picture. The first leaves, the cotyledons, are somewhat narrow and pointed. The second set of leaves will bear traps. Waiting will tell for sure. The good news is that you can request some flytrap seeds from the seed bank for the price of a couple of stamps.
Last edited by Panman on Tue Jun 25, 2024 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
andynorth liked this
By Jackhw220
Panman wrote:It is hard to say from the picture. The first leaves, the cotyledons, are somewhat narrow and pointed. The second set of leaves will bear traps. Waiting will tell for sure.
I can show you a photo of the seeds if that helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By Jackhw220
Panman wrote:They should be small, about 2mm long, shiny black, and teardrop shaped. A picture would be okay.

By Jackhw220
Panman wrote:They should be small, about 2mm long, shiny black, and teardrop shaped. A picture would be okay.
Also is there anywhere online you recommend getting sundews and pitcher plant seeds from with compost pre mixed

By DragonsEye
Where did you get the seeds? Generally, if the seller is in Asia, most people find it better NOT to take a chance on purchasing seeds— too often one gets scammed with weed seeds.
andynorth liked this
By Panman
It is hard to tell from your picture. The shape looks right but the resolution isn't good enough to see if they are glossy or not. And there is no size reference.
Jackhw220 wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 4:30 pm Also is there anywhere online you recommend getting sundews and pitcher plant seeds from with compost pre mixed
What do you mean seeds with compost premixed? Where are you located?
By Jackhw220
Panman wrote:It is hard to tell from your picture. The shape looks right but the resolution isn't good enough to see if they are glossy or not. And there is no size reference.
Jackhw220 wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 4:30 pm Also is there anywhere online you recommend getting sundews and pitcher plant seeds from with compost pre mixed
I’m in the uk and would like to start growing sundew and some vft seeds with somewhere that sells good compost for them

By DragonsEye
While not an online source, you might investigate as to whether or not there are any cp clubs/societies/hobbyists in your area. They could prove to be a great resource.
By wcrosman
Jackhw220 wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 4:39 pm
Panman wrote:It is hard to tell from your picture. The shape looks right but the resolution isn't good enough to see if they are glossy or not. And there is no size reference.
I’m in the uk and would like to start growing sundew and some vft seeds with somewhere that sells good compost for them

You will kill them if you use compost on them. Peat and perlite and/or silica sand for potting media. No minerals allowed!
By Panman
wcrosman wrote:You will kill them if you use compost on them. Peat and perlite and/or silica sand for potting media. No minerals allowed!
Compost is the term used across the pond for potting media. You are correct though that compost, meaning decomposed plant matter, will kill them.
Jackhw220 wrote:I’m in the uk and would like to start growing sundew and some vft seeds with somewhere that sells good compost for them
While I can't help you with sourcing the soil for them, you can make an international request from the seedbank. You qualify for most sundews, flytraps, and pitcher plants and can request 3 packs per quarter. Add a bonus and add-on and you can get 5 packs of various seeds.

We have some growers in the UK on this board. Hopefully they will chime in on where to get media. Do not order anything on Amazon unless someone confirms that it is safe. There are a variety out there that will poison your plants. There are also some that work one time and poison them the next. These are mostly prepared and shipped from China.
wcrosman liked this
By Jackhw220
Panman wrote:
wcrosman wrote:You will kill them if you use compost on them. Peat and perlite and/or silica sand for potting media. No minerals allowed!
Compost is the term used across the pond for potting media. You are correct though that compost, meaning decomposed plant matter, will kill them.
Jackhw220 wrote:I’m in the uk and would like to start growing sundew and some vft seeds with somewhere that sells good compost for them
While I can't help you with sourcing the soil for them, you can make an international request from the seedbank. You qualify for most sundews, flytraps, and pitcher plants and can request 3 packs per quarter. Add a bonus and add-on and you can get 5 packs of various seeds.

We have some growers in the UK on this board. Hopefully they will chime in on where to get media. Do not order anything on Amazon unless someone confirms that it is safe. There are a variety out there that will poison your plants. There are also some that work one time and poison them the next. These are mostly prepared and shipped from China.
https://www.littleshopofhorrors.co.uk/p ... e=5-litres do you think that this will be suitable

By Panman
Due to the fact that they are in the UK, I would be more inclined to try it. The ratio of peat to sand is a little low but should be okay. If you can get some perlite without additives to mix in, that would be good. The fact that they actually grow and sell carnivorous plants is another check on the plus side. You could always reach out to them and see what they have to say.
MikeB liked this
By Jackhw220
Panman wrote:Due to the fact that they are in the UK, I would be more inclined to try it. The ratio of peat to sand is a little low but should be okay. If you can get some perlite without additives to mix in, that would be good. The fact that they actually grow and sell carnivorous plants is another check on the plus side. You could always reach out to them and see what they have to say.
Thank you for letting me know as I’m fairly new to carnivorous plants as I got my first vft only August last year

Refrigerator Dormancy

Thanks for helping. I was fervently hoping I wasn'[…]

https://c.tenor.com/MQlPQ1NngeIAAAAC/tenor.gif

SYBAsoil carnivorous mix

Thank you, having done more research I am doing da[…]

Counting to infinity.

2530 Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am located in zone 8, I can’t really recal[…]

Camden M’s grow list

woah where'd you get the lowii x truncata?

Request received. Your request number is 1839. I'l[…]

MikeB Too

Along with Shadowtski, MikeB also answered the cal[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!