FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Pinguicula care here

Moderator: Matt

By Nikson
Hey all,

I was visiting my girlfriend in North Carolina and we visited her local nursery, and to my surprise they had a huge collection of carnivorous plants added! I picked up a ping that seemed to be in great condition with tons of babies coming off of it, without knowing what species it was until I got home.

I think it's Pinguicula Primulifora. I thought it would have the same care requirements as my other pings, but apparently not.

How much light am I supposed to give it? I think I accidentally gave it too much light after I got home, since I put it under my Yescom225 growlights and some of the leaves look like they're turning slightly black or purple. It's still flowering like crazy though!

I repotted it into 50/50 peat moss perlite since I heard it likes to be wet.

Any other tips?

At the nursery:

At home (under cheap Amazon growlights now):
By Huntsmanshorn
In general, they like to be kept very moist to very wet, grow well in full sun, but partial shade is okay, during the growing season they like things nice and toasty (maybe not Arizona level toasty), although they do fine if it's not that warm, high humidity is appreciated but not required, straight peat works great but if you want to add some quartz sand that's okay too. In other words, these are fairly easy, relatively short lived growers that aren't too demanding, and that clone like crazy under reasonably good conditions and also flower prolifically. An all around great choice for a first (or second or third!) warm temperate.
Nikson liked this
By Nikson
Huntsmanshorn wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 3:51 am In general, they like to be kept very moist to very wet, grow well in full sun, but partial shade is okay, during the growing season they like things nice and toasty (maybe not Arizona level toasty), although they do fine if it's not that warm, high humidity is appreciated but not required, straight peat works great but if you want to add some quartz sand that's okay too. In other words, these are fairly easy, relatively short lived growers that aren't too demanding, and that clone like crazy under reasonably good conditions and also flower prolifically. An all around great choice for a first (or second or third!) warm temperate.
Great advice, thanks! Do you think I gave it too much light under my Yescom225 growlights, since it turned slightly black on some of the leaves? When I got it at the nursery, it was sort of in a greenhouse that was more shaded.

Also is it better if I repot them into pure peat? Right now they're in a 50/50 mix of peat moss and perlite, is that going to not be wet enough for them?

I'm just keeping them inside for now, but I live in Georgia in an 8a growzone, is it ok for me to put them outside? It's hot and humid here, and I get full sun on my deck.
By Huntsmanshorn
Nikson wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 7:18 am Great advice, thanks! Do you think I gave it too much light under my Yescom225 growlights, since it turned slightly black on some of the leaves? When I got it at the nursery, it was sort of in a greenhouse that was more shaded.
That could be, but for some reason I can't see your pics. It could be also be the humidity change or just age related or something else entirely. Anyway, its environment is way different now than it was at the greenhouse, so keep in mind that it is going through a bit of a rough patch right now.
Nikson wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 7:18 am Also is it better if I repot them into pure peat? Right now they're in a 50/50 mix of peat moss and perlite, is that going to not be wet enough for them?
No, it is fine. Remember what I said about a rough patch. Yeah, don't make it worse. If I moved you up into the Himalayan mountains and the next day said you have to start training hard to run a marathon, how do you think that would go? Yup, exactly.
Nikson wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 7:18 am I'm just keeping them inside for now, but I live in Georgia in an 8a growzone, is it ok for me to put them outside? It's hot and humid here, and I get full sun on my deck.
I think that would be great, but not into the full sun right away. First in shade, then a bit of sun and then a bit more and ease it up to the full sun sloooowly. Too fast, and you will not like the results, although some of the babies will probably live, so there is that.
Nikson liked this
By Nikson
Just an update, I've been keeping the pinguicula outside after slowly acclimating it in the shade, and it's flowering like CRAZY now and growing quickly, great advice guys :)

They arrived! thank you! :D

Just saw this https://lifehacker.com/home/how-to-g[…]

Thanks. Yeah I’ve been trying to find a loca[…]

Thanks guys I’ll cut it. I haven’t got[…]

RO Buddy Reviews

Yes, you can use it for other plants that aren't s[…]

I don't do FB but I believe I may have seen this. […]

Thanks all. The only place I didn’t think […]

I personally don't like the term "typical&q[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!