FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By emaxx620
Hey all, just got my order in today and figured I'd share some pictures! After talking with Leah a bit, I decided on a WIP Long Snapper, a Low Giant, and Jaws. I am completely new to fly traps, and looking forward to seeing them grow, and already have a few others I would like to get.

These little guys got stuck in some cold weather over the weekend before getting to me. Hoping that spring will come sooner than later, and I can get them outside (still getting below freezing temps, and some flurries here)

Packaging was fantastic on the order, and will definitely be ordering again soon.

In a few of the pictures there is a planter/pot I drew up and 3d printed. I won't be transplanting any of these for a few months as per the recommendation on the care sheet, so I'll probably tweak it a bit. Any ideas on tweaks to it would be appreciated!
20240318_153353.jpg
20240318_153353.jpg (2.67 MiB) Viewed 818 times
20240318_153414.jpg
20240318_153414.jpg (2.59 MiB) Viewed 818 times
20240318_154152.jpg
20240318_154152.jpg (2.81 MiB) Viewed 818 times
20240318_154632.jpg
20240318_154632.jpg (3 MiB) Viewed 818 times
20240318_155116.jpg
20240318_155116.jpg (2.79 MiB) Viewed 818 times
20240318_155153.jpg
20240318_155153.jpg (3.33 MiB) Viewed 818 times
20240318_155647.jpg
20240318_155647.jpg (2.75 MiB) Viewed 818 times
20240318_161324.jpg
20240318_161324.jpg (1.69 MiB) Viewed 818 times
20240318_161343.jpg
20240318_161343.jpg (1.37 MiB) Viewed 818 times
20240318_161353.jpg
20240318_161353.jpg (1.6 MiB) Viewed 818 times
StephenB200+, Panman, MikeB liked this
By Greenleaf_999
You know, it kinda hits you different when you only look at the first picture and can tell every cultivar apart, then be absolutely correct about it.

I have had all of these before spider mites were a thing. I miss my low giant, jaws, and my W.I.P long snapper. They were good plants. Jaws only keeps its "shark" cilia showing strongest in early summer. Mine looked like a regular fly trap in the fall all the way until early spring, when it started growing tall upright growth and it started forming the neat jaws cilia little by little, it had some with and some without those unique teeth. My W.I.P long snapper looked very interesting when undergoing dormancy, it was very rosetted, when I kicked my lights back on to 18 hours, it started getting very tall, and had some very neat distinguished red and orange splotches. My low giant was almost nothing when it was dormant, no traps and kind of resembled to what my G-14 rosetted was showing. It seems that low/rosetted growing cultivars just die back completely when dormant, while the more upright growers look like the rosetted cultivars in the spring and summer. My b52 was a roach, fly, just about anything slayer. I LOVED my B52, it was the one plant that had large and very deep red almost maroon traps when grown under intense blurple led lighting. My largest trap from that plant measured at 2.8 inches. More than enough, I think it might’ve been larger than the Guinness record. I had that b52 for about 4 years until it did get attacked outdoors, by my arch nemesis, Spider mites. My plants got treated every 10-15 days with bayer 3in1 they all died. That’s why I stopped growing them outdoors and stuck to intense lighting, and when it is the first day of fall, I change the timer to 8 hours on, 10 hours off. I think? It put them into dormancy just fine and when it started warming back up, I turned the lights back on to 18 hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By emaxx620
optique wrote:If you are going to use peat/perlite just slip pot it. the plants will enjoy the deeper pot. if i was printing the pots i would make them 10in deep min.
Thanks, I'll keep in mind slip-potting as well as a deeper pot design.
Greenleaf_999 wrote:You know, it kinda hits you different when you only look at the first picture and can tell every cultivar apart, then be absolutely correct about it.

I have had all of these before spider mites were a thing. I miss my low giant, jaws, and my W.I.P long snapper. They were good plants. Jaws only keeps its "shark" cilia showing strongest in early summer. Mine looked like a regular fly trap in the fall all the way until early spring, when it started growing tall upright growth and it started forming the neat jaws cilia little by little, it had some with and some without those unique teeth. My W.I.P long snapper looked very interesting when undergoing dormancy, it was very rosetted, when I kicked my lights back on to 18 hours, it started getting very tall, and had some very neat distinguished red and orange splotches. My low giant was almost nothing when it was dormant, no traps and kind of resembled to what my G-14 rosetted was showing. It seems that low/rosetted growing cultivars just die back completely when dormant, while the more upright growers look like the rosetted cultivars in the spring and summer. My b52 was a roach, fly, just about anything slayer. I LOVED my B52, it was the one plant that had large and very deep red almost maroon traps when grown under intense blurple led lighting. My largest trap from that plant measured at 2.8 inches. More than enough, I think it might’ve been larger than the Guinness record. I had that b52 for about 4 years until it did get attacked outdoors, by my arch nemesis, Spider mites. My plants got treated every 10-15 days with bayer 3in1 they all died. That’s why I stopped growing them outdoors and stuck to intense lighting, and when it is the first day of fall, I change the timer to 8 hours on, 10 hours off. I think? It put them into dormancy just fine and when it started warming back up, I turned the lights back on to 18 hours.

That's impressive you knew what they all were! I'll have to look into this spider mite issue incase it happens. Thanks for the heads up on that. Good luck this year!
By Greenleaf_999
emaxx620 wrote:
optique wrote:If you are going to use peat/perlite just slip pot it. the plants will enjoy the deeper pot. if i was printing the pots i would make them 10in deep min.
Thanks, I'll keep in mind slip-potting as well as a deeper pot design.
Greenleaf_999 wrote:You know, it kinda hits you different when you only look at the first picture and can tell every cultivar apart, then be absolutely correct about it.

That's impressive you knew what they all were! I'll have to look into this spider mite issue incase it happens. Thanks for the heads up on that. Good luck this year!
It didn’t happen until 8 years later after building a large collection, they popped out in the humid hot summer in Texas. I’m right on the coast, and I was just as surprised when I heard that they only come around in hot and "dry" conditions. It isn’t dry at all because I am right on the water, it’s always humid, even when it’s cold. I have seen large masses of fog rolling in over the water at night when it was down to 35°f here out of nowhere. Texas can’t ever make up its mind, it doesn’t know what "warm" weather is. It does what other states don’t do. It’s either hotter than h*ll or so cold you don’t wanna be outside. Spring time is the only time that is somewhat "acceptable".

By emaxx620
Greenleaf_999 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:01 pm It didn’t happen until 8 years later after building a large collection, they popped out in the humid hot summer in Texas. I’m right on the coast, and I was just as surprised when I heard that they only come around in hot and "dry" conditions. It isn’t dry at all because I am right on the water, it’s always humid, even when it’s cold. I have seen large masses of fog rolling in over the water at night when it was down to 35°f here out of nowhere. Texas can’t ever make up its mind, it doesn’t know what "warm" weather is. It does what other states don’t do. It’s either hotter than h*ll or so cold you don’t wanna be outside. Spring time is the only time that is somewhat "acceptable".

I totally get the erratic weather thing. I was wearing shorts and a tshirt 1-2 weeks ago (for a whole day or two,) and now we're back into the teens and 20s at night with occasional snow. It never makes up its mind here either.

That's pretty crazy the mites came with the humidity. They're adapting :lol:
By Dan J
Congratulations! Those are beautiful plants. I’ll bet they really take off over summer.

Weather wise, I’m in the same boat In Michigan. I picked up some grow lights to help in the mean time. Also installed a reverse osmosis system, so getting plenty of water is easy now.
By emaxx620
Dan J wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:20 pm Congratulations! Those are beautiful plants. I’ll bet they really take off over summer.

Weather wise, I’m in the same boat In Michigan. I picked up some grow lights to help in the mean time. Also installed a reverse osmosis system, so getting plenty of water is easy now.
Well hey neighbor, maybe we will get some decent weather soon. Seems any "warm" day so far has been incredibly windy. Good idea with the RO system, I'll have to check into that.

I just got in a couple sundews as well, couldn't help myself.
By emaxx620
Dan J wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:27 pm Are you a fellow Michigander? I’m in Rochester Hills.

This is the RO system I went with. I did include the alkaline filter to improve taste, so I had to have a bypass for carnivorous plant water.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003XELT ... asin_title
Just east of you in Shelby.
Any of the places around here sell these types of plants, or do you order them online?
By Dan J
Awesome! We’re neighbors! I got two typicals at meijer that had 1.5” traps. That was a gateway drug, causing me to research why my flytraps died in the past. The rest I bought online. I don’t know if I’m allowed to discuss other vendors on this board, but there is definitely one to avoid that is presumed to be a good one. I got hosed on a DC XL, with a micro plant. Tthe whole plant is a few millimeters larger than a quarter.I haven’t found anything local, but if I were to buy again, it would be from FTS if I wanted a nice mature plant. I did okay with the other DC XL, and okay for the price on the Megatraps and low giant. I uploaded photos in my introduce yourself post.

post449049.html#p449045

I think I found a local grower for d. Capensis typical and red. I will keep you posted on that…

Have you found anything local?
By emaxx620
Dan J wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 12:05 am Awesome! We’re neighbors! I got two typicals at meijer that had 1.5” traps. That was a gateway drug, causing me to research why my flytraps died in the past. The rest I bought online. I don’t know if I’m allowed to discuss other vendors on this board, but there is definitely one to avoid that is presumed to be a good one. I got hosed on a DC XL, with a micro plant. Tthe whole plant is a few millimeters larger than a quarter.I haven’t found anything local, but if I were to buy again, it would be from FTS if I wanted a nice mature plant. I did okay with the other DC XL, and okay for the price on the Megatraps and low giant. I uploaded photos in my introduce yourself post.

post449049.html#p449045

I think I found a local grower for d. Capensis typical and red. I will keep you posted on that…

Have you found anything local?
I too just got the couple plants I have now very recently, and did so only after hearing about FTS on a few posts. I haven't had a chance to look at any of the nursery's around here yet to see if they have anything.

I believe I have saw people mention other sites on here, and there is a whole area dedicated to plant suppliers of different areas near the bottom of the forums. The sundews I got were on Carnivorous Plant Resource. It looks like that site is kind of a hub for many different suppliers, but all managed through there, which I thought was kind of neat. The sundews I got were from Carltons Carnivores, and the couple cheap VFT's I got were from Jerimiah's Plants (both from the the Carnivorous Plant Resource site.) The typical I got is pretty massive, I was surprised.

Definitely do let me know if you got a local person for the ones you mentioned, I wouldn't mind one of each!

By the way, I have an overly large bag of Black Gold peat moss if you do need some. I won't be using all of it, that's for sure haha.
By Dan J
I definitely will let you know how it turns out with the sundews.

Thanks for the offer on the peat moss! I have a small amount and was considering buying more. Along those lines, before I knew about the seed bank, I bought some red Drosera Capensis seeds. I seeded a small pot and have an obscene amount left. Would you like some? I also just ordered some spatulata from the seed bank. If I have left overs there, you’re welcome to some of those too.

I haven’t checked any nurseries yet. It looks like they’re just now starting to get some stuff in. Let’s keep each other posted if we come across anything.

I have zero sundews right now aside from the seeds I’ve sown. Hoping to fix that this week. I bought the low giant and Megatraps from Jeremiah’s Plants. They’re nice small plants, not micro like the California Carnivores.
By Dan J
Well, I tried to send you a DM, but it just sits in the outbox. If the local person for red and typical capensis is a good deal, do you want me to pick you up one of each? $10 red and $8 typical. They’re in White Lake, and since I’m heading out that way this week, I can save you the drive.
Attachments:
IMG_4252.jpeg
IMG_4252.jpeg (155.44 KiB) Viewed 301 times
By emaxx620
Dan J wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 5:43 pm Well, I tried to send you a DM, but it just sits in the outbox. If the local person for red and typical capensis is a good deal, do you want me to pick you up one of each? $10 red and $8 typical. They’re in White Lake, and since I’m heading out that way this week, I can save you the drive.
Hey Dan, I just replied to your DM. Maybe it sits in the outbox until it's read? Mine is stuck on outbox as well.
As for the seeds, I will pass on that for the time being, but appreciate the offer. Running on limited space at the moment haha.
Rain

Predicting up to 1-3” of rain from now(Fri 7[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

They arrived today! YAY! will get them planted out[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!