FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By MikeB
That SANSI bulb might be bright enough. The problem is trying to get enough light on the sides of the pitchers, not just on the tops. Do you not have a sunny place outside to put it? This works best for Sarracenia.
By BxndiTSold
I sadly do not, I am trying to make the best of my situation as I live in an apartment as of right now so lights are my best option! The SANSI is rigged up above them and as far as I can see the light is hitting pretty much all the pitchers, it is about 7 inches away!
By Intheswamp
How big is that plant? Looks like a fairly large, maturish one. Rather than the Sansi, I think I would be looking for a larger, upper-end LED panel that would have a larger spot of premium lighting in the center and some edge covering for the sides of the plant. Remember, though, the light intensity striking the very tops of the plant with the light hanging seven inches above will be only 25% as intense seven inches below the the top of the plants (where the new growth sprouts)...due to the inverse square law. You already know about the light fall-off at the edges, so in taking in the consideration of the inverse square law the edges will be really be getting minimal lighting. The new growth will be dealing with overshadowing from the larger leaves, too.

What I've found is that lighting works best on young seedlings a couple of inches tall and low growing plants. Tall light-hogs, like mature pitcher plants are just difficult under lights unless you have a very strong light setup.

Sometimes we have to look at our capabilities and pick our battles accordingly. ;)
wcrosman liked this
Drosera germination time

What Chef Dean said... But if I had to pick a num[…]

Counting to infinity.

assuming they have enough light and water, are gre[…]

My sundew isn’t eating!

How about your leaf cuttings? Did you get any pla[…]

Hello, New to the forum

Archery is silent, just sayin'. A well flung arrow[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!