FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Andrew42x89
I’ve never come across any information regarding propagating flytraps from roots so I’m guessing it’s not possible, but I’ve got some decently long roots protruding from my pot that I fear I’ll likely damage when I repot come Spring.
By Barlapipas 6
I haven’t seen anyone propagating VFTs through root cuttings. I would personally just repot it. To be safer I would first squeeze the pot a bit so the soil doesn’t stick to the sides of the pot. Then I would take some small scissors and cut the pot. I have done it this way and it seems safer to me at least. The best thing you can do for now is to wait for more answers from more experienced growers.
By MikeB
Andrew42x89 wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 6:50 pm I’ve got some decently long roots protruding from my pot that I fear I’ll likely damage when I repot come Spring.
Probably not. If you tap each side of the pot several times to loosen the soil, cup your hand over the plant, and quickly flip it upside-down, the whole thing should slide out of the pot, and the roots should pull back through the drain holes intact. I've done this more times than I can count, and I can't recall the last time any roots broke.
By Andrew42x89
MikeB wrote:
Andrew42x89 wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 6:50 pm I’ve got some decently long roots protruding from my pot that I fear I’ll likely damage when I repot come Spring.
Probably not. If you tap each side of the pot several times to loosen the soil, cup your hand over the plant, and quickly flip it upside-down, the whole thing should slide out of the pot, and the roots should pull back through the drain holes intact. I've done this more times than I can count, and I can't recall the last time any roots broke.
This was my plan as I wanted to reuse the pot. Glad to hear these roots are tough enough. I also just realized that it is you that I got my VFT seeds and first sundews from! Nice to re-meet you on this forum
MikeB liked this
Drosera germination time

What Chef Dean said... But if I had to pick a num[…]

Counting to infinity.

assuming they have enough light and water, are gre[…]

My sundew isn’t eating!

How about your leaf cuttings? Did you get any pla[…]

Hello, New to the forum

Archery is silent, just sayin'. A well flung arrow[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!