FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By carnivorous_noob
Hi, I'm wondering whether I should give my plant a dormancy period or not right now. I bought it yesterday and it looks pretty weak so far ( leaves are wrinkled ). I recently read about giving them a dormancy period and the signs of them getting ready for dormancy, but my plant does not seem to be showing them. All the traps are healthy, and none of them are dying. Also, since I bought it right in the middle of the winter I do not know whether I should start dormancy or not now. Thanks!
By Intheswamp
If it is one from Walmart or Lowes or some place like those it's probably a young, tissue-cultured plant. You can skip the first year of dormancy with usually no issues. I would get it under some very good light and keep it moist but not soggy. Room temperature and humidity will probably be ok, though a gradual introduction to the humidity level might be a good thing.

The traps are the leaves. The section between the traps (leaves) and roots are the petioles. Anything green will do photosynthesis, so both traps and petioles can produce food/energy.

Lots and lots of light and keeping the soil *moist*, not soggy will be the best things you can do for your flytrap.

Use rain water, distilled water, or RO water...water with a low level of TDS...50ppm or below is standard to be below...distilled water usually is 0ppm, *my* rain water usually varies from 0 to 4ppm while some people's are higher, RO (reverse osmosis, some drinking waters) water can vary but is usually 20ppm or lower. Don't use tap water unless you know the level of TDS in it. A TDS meter can be purchased on Amazon for around $15.00. Here is a link to the one I purchased, but there are others. Mine works fine for me. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07H5 ... UTF8&psc=1

Welcome to the addiction, er, uh....hobby! ;)
carnivorous_noob liked this
By Intheswamp
Let me add to the very good light comments... Windowsill light will work for a couple of weeks. The plant has probably been inside where it has not gotten any light to amount to anything for a month or so, so the windowsill will be a big improvement. Now, if you have a strong grow light you probably need to gradually introduce it to it...moving the plant gradually closer over the course of at least a couple of weeks...sticking the plant immediately under a strong light can burn the plant...same goes for putting a new plant out in full sun, unless it has already been growing under full sun. If you do have it on a windowsill you need to be considering a grow light for it after a couple of weeks go by. :)
By Gary
I was at Lowe's recently and checked out the VFT selection. All winter they looked like they'd skipped dormancy, which makes sense as it's hard to sell a plant that looks half-dead lol. But I have to admit that, after a rough start and lots of TLC, the rescues I got at Lowe's have grown to be the largest in my menagerie. Happy growing!

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of […]

My sundew isn’t eating!

Sadly my leaf cuttings haven’t grown probabl[…]

Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!