FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By MikeB
Sarracenia Northwest recently posted this interesting video on YouTube:

With different people recommending different amounts of perlite in carnivorous plant soil mixes, the guys at Sarracenia Northwest decided to take the scientific approach. They tested mixes ranging from none to 60%, in 10% increments. Their results showed that 40-50% perlite is optimal for drainage and aeration. A real eye-opener is at the 11:55 mark where Jacob says "We have a large pot of flytraps that have been in the same soil for the past 8 years." That is truly amazing. I usually have to swap out my flytrap soil after 2 years (3 is pushing it).

In light of this, I'm adjusting my soil mix. I had been doing a 3:1:1 ratio of peat moss, perlite, and sand. I'm changing that to 4:3:1 to get more perlite in the soil. I'm not ready to give up the sand just yet.
Panman, Dan V liked this
By nycredneck
I just watched that same video the other day. I’m a 50/50 guy myself with all my plants growing well and I top water everything, Nep’s , vft’s, sarr’s.
By Intheswamp
My last mix I went with 2-peat, 1-perlite, 1-play sand...a 2:1:1 mix. The sand is not coarse, but I've been told it should work (coarse sand seems to fall in the category of unicorns and chicken-with-teeth). I'm thinking of measuring the mix and added a bit more perlite to it. The part in the video about the 20 and 30 percent perlite mixes not draining as well as pure peat was very interesting!!!

ETA: Possibly go to a 2:2:1 mix.
By Carnies
Intheswamp wrote: ETA: Possibly go to a 2:2:1 mix.
Same here, I just bought two 8 quart bags of perlite on amazon and it came in yesterday, I added some and the soil feels better than my 3:1:1 mix. The perlite is a really nice medium grain.
By Intheswamp
I know some people rinse their media (peat moss, perlite, sand, cow manure, etc) and some folks don't. I tend to fall into the "rinse everything" group...but I'm "OCD-Me", anhow, so it's only natural for me to do so. :mrgreen: One of my all time favorite things to rinse is perlite...fun, fun, fun!!!!! Yeah, right. :roll: Anyhow, I rinsed some the other day and thought I'd show the residue from two 32oz cups of some "Sta-Green" perlite from Lowes. I rinsed it inside of a paint thinner bag inside of a large plastic flower pot. I took a quick picture without much thought to it so it really doesn't show the silt as well as it could have. I just don't think this would have been good in the mix...plus the milky water that was poured off, too. There was probably only a 1/2 to 3/4 of a cup of silt and It probably wouldn't hurt anything, but....
Attachments:
IMG_6018 (Custom).JPG
IMG_6018 (Custom).JPG (726.61 KiB) Viewed 3577 times
stickgirl liked this
By MikeB
I'm going to buy a 4-cubic-foot bag of perlite. I need to refill my 30-gallon tote with soil to prepare for a massive amount of repotting in February.

I also need to check with the local gardening club to see if anyone wants my old soil. With all the clay around here, tilling my leftovers into their planting beds would definitely improve their soil.
Intheswamp, Panman, Dan V liked this
Hello, New to the forum

I wish! These are city slicker deer. No hunting […]

Introduction: In today's modern society, individua[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

Counting to infinity.

DragonsEye, I definitely did not know that, either[…]

All Mineral Media

I find pure turface stays too wet in my conditions[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!