FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Pinguicula care here

Moderator: Matt

By Cue
So I bought my first pinguicula plants a year or so ago. I’ve since been adding to them and now have two pumice stones housing 9 individual pings. They’ve thrived so far, doubling in size and one produced two new heads!

However I’m starting to doubt the information I was given, and was wondering if someone could update me?

Current care is on whole pumice stones, in bowls of water, under very strong grow lights. Our water is super soft (gh and KH 0-1, ph 6.8). I’ve heard much about overwintering which I didn’t do last winter as I didn’t know how to and didn’t want to risk damaging them. Apparently there are also different subgroups other than Mexican pings?

Current species: (I haven’t written down most of their names so.. I don’t know about some of em)
Sethos - thriving, has tripled in size and produced two massive heads without my initiation
Alfred lau#13 - throwing a tantrum because I had to move it, actually doing very well otherwise. I have a rock saved for only itself because I know they can get MASSIVE.
Esseriana buena vista - I honestly don’t even know which one it is anymore
Weser - seems to be doing well
Pirouette - also doing well

And 4 unknowns, one bright pink and the other brown purplish, another pink with pale yellow leaf rimming, and the rest are just green because my room is very warm and they don’t keep their blushing long. All are doing perfectly fine.
By Bluefire
Overwintering Mexican Pings is relatively easy, they will tell you when they want to go dormant (it's actually not always in the winter). They will produce leaves that look different from their carnivorous leaves- not sticky, thicker, no curled edges, other things I'm sure. Then slowly reduce how much water they get until they get almost no water and keep it that way until they begin making carnivorous leaves again, then slowly increase how much water they get. Of course I'm not an expert, I barely know what I'm doing half of the time, but hopefully some other folks will chime in too.
Cue liked this
By GoldenFarmer
It sounds like you're doing well tbh! There are a few different types of pings , but I would higlhy reccomend researching them on your own when you have time. In my experience, they all like the water in the tray to evaporate from time to time but just don't like to dry out themselves. Unfortunately, I do not have much experience with the pumice stone.

Whenever my pings go into their succulent state I leave them in the same environment = their pot is in a watering tray. I have some in the succulent state that have even flowered !! They just do it on their own really, some for a longer time than others.

Sounds like you're doing good to me though, keep up the great work!
Drosera germination time

I know I got the "Redrum" seeds from th[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

A greenhouse or a greenhouse terrarium? They do we[…]

Counting to infinity.

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!