FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By That one plant boi
Hello all

So to get to the point, my flytraps look like crap during this time of year. I live in Central Florida, and the the temperature is around the mid 90's most days this time of year, and my plants are certainly despising it. A few of them look like they're on the verge of death.
My sarracenia get watered every morning and seem to be really taking off, though I don't water my flytraps nearly as often since I was under the impression that they didn't like to be kept as wet. But since they're in full sun under this sort of heat, should I also top water daily? Will that help them grow better and keep them a tad cooler?
Any overall tips on keeping them looking and growing decent this time of year will be greatly appreciated!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

By TrapsAndDews
My flytraps are under similar conditions. They get full sun, 100 degree weather, and low humidity. I top water mine in the evening every few days. (every day when it gets really hot) They aren’t looking very well right now either, but I wouldn’t say that mine are dying. I just make sure to water them whenever the top gets dry. My plants also get a little bit of shade in the morning and evening. I don’t know if that helps them.
Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg (3.59 MiB) Viewed 2320 times
By VFTnPups
That one plant boi wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 3:10 pm Hello all

So to get to the point, my flytraps look like crap during this time of year. I live in Central Florida, and the the temperature is around the mid 90's most days this time of year, and my plants are certainly despising it. A few of them look like they're on the verge of death.
My sarracenia get watered every morning and seem to be really taking off, though I don't water my flytraps nearly as often since I was under the impression that they didn't like to be kept as wet. But since they're in full sun under this sort of heat, should I also top water daily? Will that help them grow better and keep them a tad cooler?
Any overall tips on keeping them looking and growing decent this time of year will be greatly appreciated!

Deep, white, plastic/styrofoam pots and a 30% shade cloth will help with the heat. I’m in MD and it’s been burning hot and humid. I’ll top water daily (if it hasn’t rained much) around dusk to cool down their roots. I would water them earlier in the day, but I’ve got thousands of Blue-winged wasps hovering around my plants whenever it’s sunny. They’re not aggressive, but I can’t imagine they’ll appreciate me spraying at them.
davinstewart liked this
By VFTnPups
optique wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 4:02 pm thats about what mine look like atm.

this is my best looking plant atm. DRG must be tough
I bought a DRG early this spring that died down to nothing in April. It looks like yours now. Big, bushy, traps that can’t get enough heat and water. They are indeed a hardy cultivar.
By tommyr
That one plant boi wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 3:10 pm Hello all

When it gets to near 100 F. provide some shade. Mine too are looking rough now but it's the heat. It's been 95 to 100 F. here where I am a lot this summer. We're also in an extreme drought situation as well, hardly any rain in August. Luckily I have a 20 gallon rainwater backup I can dip into when needed.
By davinstewart
This sounds spot on to me. Dont' be afraid of putting shade cloth over the vfts. They'll start to encounter heat stress once temps go above 80F and the shade cloth will help a bunch with that.

Maggie Chen also advocates for shade cloth when the temps get high.
VFTnPups wrote: Deep, white, plastic/styrofoam pots and a 30% shade cloth will help with the heat. I’m in MD and it’s been burning hot and humid. I’ll top water daily (if it hasn’t rained much) around dusk to cool down their roots. I would water them earlier in the day, but I’ve got thousands of Blue-winged wasps hovering around my plants whenever it’s sunny. They’re not aggressive, but I can’t imagine they’ll appreciate me spraying at them.
tommyr liked this
Transaction with Secretariat73

I purchased five varieties of Sarracenia from Secr[…]

Drosera germination time

Oh, and the Twister II seeds are in this germinati[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

A greenhouse or a greenhouse terrarium? They do we[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!