FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Zach7286
Hi everyone! Been a while since I've posted here and think I still owe some people thank-you's for responding to previous posts of mine! I've appreciated all the help with my previous questions. In any case, I've been attempting to grow a new batch of seedlings and things have actually been going much better than in the past. That being said, I've recently noticed that a few of my seedlings are showing traps with an odd brown coloring, as depicted here:
brown1.jpg
brown1.jpg (241.93 KiB) Viewed 1905 times
brown2.jpg
brown2.jpg (612.42 KiB) Viewed 1905 times
brown3.jpg
brown3.jpg (612.42 KiB) Viewed 1905 times
Is this a sign of something going wrong? It's happening with a few of the seedlings but not the majority, and it looks like the leaves are always either *entirely* brown or entirely green. (i.e. I'm not seeing any leaves that are like browning on one end but green on the other.)

I'm also seeing this brownness both in more fully developed flytrap leaves as well as in leaves that are just sprouting, as here:
brown4.jpg
brown4.jpg (344.33 KiB) Viewed 1905 times
Any idea whether this is an issue, and if so then what the cause of it might be?

Here's some background on what I've been doing care-wise...
Lighting: LED desk lamp, kept on for 12 hours/day
Medium: Mix of long-fiber sphagnum and silica pool sand
Water: Misting with distilled water once a day. Sometimes pouring a bit of water into the tray beneath as well.

Thanks for the help!
By uxleumas
nothing's wrong with the plant, do you know what the parents of the seeds are? the brown color that you're seeing could be an overabundance of red pigments and stuff which means that you're giving it plenty of light. if they keep that brown color until they're an adult maybe you could regester it as a cultivuar! just make sure to not burn it. doesn't seem to be burn right now though
edit: oh no i forgot what i was going to add...
sanguinearocks101 liked this
By Zach7286
Awesome thanks very much! Yes I was hoping that it was something along those lines - just a pigmentation oddity rather than burning or molding or anything like that. I just bought the seeds through the website so am not sure that the exact cultivar is. Thanks very much for the info!
Drosera germination time

I have only grown the humptydew type of D. burmann[…]

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mi[…]

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!