FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By Garden_Nymph
So I ordered some live Sphagnum and they sent a little bonus of Toothed plagiomnium cuspidatum. What do I do with this? I dont want to just let it die.
By DragonsEye
Hmm. Odd. It didn't want to open for me either, but when I "rediscovered " the site it opened fine. The following is care info copied from that site:

"Lighting: Plagiomnium cuspidatum moss is a plant that is commonly found in shady areas. It prefers moist, shady conditions and does not require much light.

Growing Medium: This moss requires a moist, acidic growing medium in order to thrive. The best way to achieve this is to use a potting mix that is specifically designed for mosses and other acid-loving plants. Alternatively, you can create your own mix by adding sphagnum peat moss and perlite to regular potting soil. Whichever growing medium you choose, be sure to keep it moist, as Plagiomnium cuspidatum will not survive in dry conditions. With proper care, this Moss can make an attractive addition to any indoor or outdoor space.

Temperature: Plagiomnium cuspidatum moss is a species of moss that is known to be able to tolerate a wide range of temperatures. In terms of degrees Celsius, the Plagiomnium cuspidatum moss can tolerate temperatures anywhere from -15 to +60. In terms of Fahrenheit, this temperature range would be 5 to 140. This makes the Plagiomnium cuspidatum moss one of the most versatile species of moss in terms of temperature tolerance.

Watering: One of the key things to remember when caring for moss is that it has very specific watering requirements. Generally, the plant prefers to be kept moist at all times, but not soggy. To achieve this, mist your moss once or twice a week, depending on the weather and humidity levels.

Humidity: Moss enjoys a high humidity environment. Keep your terrarium regularly misted and keep an eye on condensation levels to avoid extreme humidity and low humidity.

General Care Tips for Moss in Terrariums

Just like any other plant, moss needs the right environment to thrive. When growing moss in a terrarium, it’s important to create a humid environment with plenty of indirect sunlight. The easiest way to do this is to choose a terrarium with a glass or clear plastic lid that can be sealed. Then, add a layer of gravel or small stones to the bottom of the terrarium for drainage. Next, add a layer of moistened sphagnum moss, followed by a layer of potting soil mixed with organic matter. Finally, add your chosen plants and mosses. Be sure to keep the terrarium moist, but not soggy, by misting it regularly. With a little care, your terrarium will become a lush, green oasis.

Our top tips for terrarium moss care are:

1. Make sure the terrarium has adequate ventilation. Moss needs fresh air to grow, so be sure to provide an opening for air to circulate.

2. Moisten the moss with a spray bottle before placing it in the terrarium. This will help the moss to establis h itself more quickly.

3. Keep an eye on the moisture levels in the terrarium. Too much or too little water can cause the moss to die."
Garden_Nymph liked this
By Garden_Nymph
Interesting, thank you so much. Hmmm now what do I have that I can use for a terrarium...... It's just a little thing but I just cant bring myself to toss a plant or let it die lol
By Garden_Nymph
Do you all think this moss would work well with CP's? thinking of doing a pretty jar with a small CP in it. If so suggestions?
Transaction with Secretariat73

I purchased five varieties of Sarracenia from Secr[…]

Drosera germination time

Oh, and the Twister II seeds are in this germinati[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

A greenhouse or a greenhouse terrarium? They do we[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!