FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Sp0nser
So, I found what I believe to be thrips on a nepenthes....

I have heard horror stories about how these little horrors wipe out entire collections if not controlled in time.

The thing is, I have absolutely no idea what to do

Do I use nematodes? Spray? For how long? What can i do to make sure they stay dead?

There were so many questions rushing through my mind, yet no answer...

Can anyone please guide me in the right direction? I'm panicking a bit

Thanks

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

By Supercazzola
Sp0nsor,
Do you have any photos of what you saw, either the bug or the damage left behind? I am curious to see what alerted you.
Also, what are your growing conditions ? Are they inside? outside? co-inhabiting with other plants? What types?
By Sp0nser
Supercazzola wrote:Sp0nsor,
Do you have any photos of what you saw, either the bug or the damage left behind? I am curious to see what alerted you.
Also, what are your growing conditions ? Are they inside? outside? co-inhabiting with other plants? What types?
Unfortunately, I haven't got any photos to share at the moment, just the fact that they looked kinda like white flea's and that the new leaves looked deformed and scaled. I'll take a picture of the damage tomorrow as I treated them with pyrethrin and can't rn

They are grown in an indoor grow tent, under growlights and fan, but other than that, they are open to room conditions.

They are co-inhabiting with several other plants. Utricularia, orchids, and drosera for the carnivorous side. A citrus and a few annona's as well.

But the odd thing is only the nepenthes got thrips. Maybe I caught the infection early?

By Sp0nser
Caught a few white flies on the utric's as well, so that' fun...

By Sp0nser
Sp0nser wrote:
Caught a few white flies on the utric's as well, so that' fun...

That's*

By Supercazzola
Wow, my annona squamosa would always get infected with mealy bugs. I'm being very tactical and keeping my nepenthes by themselves in their grow tent (new ones are always isolated in their own grow area outside of the tent. and treated with a preventative dose of fungicide and pesticides before entering.)

Hope you got rid of those pests.
By Sp0nser
Supercazzola wrote:Wow, my annona squamosa would always get infected with mealy bugs. I'm being very tactical and keeping my nepenthes by themselves in their grow tent (new ones are always isolated in their own grow area outside of the tent. and treated with a preventative dose of fungicide and pesticides before entering.)

Hope you got rid of those pests.
Thanks!

By RookiePresent
My experience with thrips and nepenthes was pretty good. A granular systemic applied to the media and a spray for the infected plants and neighboring ones just in case is what did it for me. After one application it got rid of all the thrips and that plant is now on its third flower and doing well.

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of […]

My sundew isn’t eating!

Sadly my leaf cuttings haven’t grown probabl[…]

Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!