FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about terrariums, mini bogs, greenhouses and other growing environments

Moderator: Matt

By Fly Trap Hunter
IMG_7593.JPG (1.09 MiB) Viewed 5979 times
front
front
IMG_7595.JPG (934.6 KiB) Viewed 5979 times
this is a pickle relish jar/container. its plastic. I thought id try to create a scene with the white sand. hopefully I can keep the water level low without having to drill holes. there is a typical, a sawtooth, d capensis and 4 other types of sundews and live moss. it should fill in nicely. I guess I will put it outside with everything else. leave the lid off.
By Fly Trap Hunter
side
side
IMG_7592.JPG (953.38 KiB) Viewed 5975 times
square
square
IMG_7591.JPG (1.05 MiB) Viewed 5975 times
I like the round jar better than the square one here. it will work for tiny capensis seedlings and there is a tiny red dragon in there.
By Fly Trap Hunter
Hungry Plants wrote:Nice. Good luck with them .
thank you. I'm getting another pickle jar soon. lol I believe the terrarium could be made into a lamp. :lol:
By Fly Trap Hunter
i put one of my cephalotus plants in a terrarium/jar. I put sand in the bottom then peat, then top coated with sand. I have probably done everything wrong but they are not dead yet. so I'm leaving them in the terrarium in a sunny window for winter and hope they survive. I should have bagged them when I got them and now I have a big brown out. still new growth though.
ceph
ceph
IMG_7607.JPG (1.05 MiB) Viewed 5927 times
ceph2
ceph2
IMG_7608.JPG (1012.1 KiB) Viewed 5927 times
By PiranhaPlanter1
Fly Trap Hunter wrote:
IMG_7593.JPG
IMG_7595.JPG
this is a pickle relish jar/container. its plastic. I thought id try to create a scene with the white sand. hopefully I can keep the water level low without having to drill holes. there is a typical, a sawtooth, d capensis and 4 other types of sundews and live moss. it should fill in nicely. I guess I will put it outside with everything else. leave the lid off.
Looks too wet.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
PiranhaPlanter1 liked this
By Fly Trap Hunter
PiranhaPlanter1 wrote:
Fly Trap Hunter wrote:
IMG_7593.JPG
IMG_7595.JPG
Looks too wet.

I agree. I just put those together and had not gotten the extra water out when the picture was taken. its an experiment. I'm trying to get the water level down to the sand in the bottom and just have a few inches of water. its my first time also. I think I just got too much water in there in the first place. the dews are really enjoying it in there. if they look stressed, I will drill holes in the bottom and set it in a tray. thanks
By PiranhaPlanter1
Fly Trap Hunter wrote:
PiranhaPlanter1 wrote:
Fly Trap Hunter wrote:
IMG_7593.JPG
IMG_7595.JPG
Looks too wet.

I agree. I just put those together and had not gotten the extra water out when the picture was taken. its an experiment. I'm trying to get the water level down to the sand in the bottom and just have a few inches of water. its my first time also. I think I just got too much water in there in the first place. the dews are really enjoying it in there. if they look stressed, I will drill holes in the bottom and set it in a tray. thanks
No problem just lookin out for you and your traps.

PiranhaPlanter1 liked this
By avadakedavra
Fly Trap Hunter wrote:
IMG_7593.JPG
IMG_7595.JPG
I also put my Heliamphora into a jar.

I use some zeolite for soil.

ImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
avadakedavra liked this
By Fly Trap Hunter
those look really nice. and no drainage I guess?
avadakedavra wrote:
Fly Trap Hunter wrote:
IMG_7593.JPG
IMG_7595.JPG

ImageImage

By avadakedavra
Fly Trap Hunter wrote:those look really nice. and no drainage I guess?
avadakedavra wrote:
Fly Trap Hunter wrote:
IMG_7593.JPG
IMG_7595.JPG

ImageImage

No drainage, and closed.
but pretty fine :-)

avadakedavra liked this
By Fly Trap Hunter
whitegirlhoodie
whitegirlhoodie
IMG_7711.JPG (1.11 MiB) Viewed 5839 times
seed starter
seed starter
IMG_7710.JPG (1.19 MiB) Viewed 5839 times
had some bog bling - inspired by Rachel8T4. and I needed a place to start seeds. So I just put this mini-bog together with extra stuff I had around. So its Red Hoodie Girl going to see granny but wassup with this wolf and whats he huff'n and puff'n? :shock: about?
wolf
wolf
IMG_7714.JPG (1.24 MiB) Viewed 5839 times

this is repurposed stuff I had around the house that I had saved for crafts. I put several types of drosera seed under the cup. I'm starting a forest.
Fly Trap Hunter liked this
By FlyTrap Hunter
Fly Trap Hunter wrote:
IMG_7711.JPG
IMG_7710.JPG
had some bog bling - inspired by Rachel8T4. and I needed a place to start seeds. So I just put this mini-bog together with extra stuff I had around. So its Red Hoodie Girl going to see granny but wassup with this wolf and whats he huff'n and puff'n? :shock: about?
IMG_7714.JPG

this is repurposed stuff I had around the house that I had saved for crafts. I put several types of drosera seed under the cup. I'm starting a forest.
Terrarium updates. The d.capillaris are happy. I have some darlingtonia Californicas coming up behind the drift wood.
The second one has a bunch of sundews blooming. You might notice how light deprived the Venus fly trap is behind the d. Tamlin? ImageImage

Sent from my KYOCERA-C6742A using Tapatalk
By animalisterra
I am not sure if any of the terrariums have this yet but I would recommend making a false bottom. It basically mimics what the ground does in nature. You start by putting pebbles (aquarium gravel works) on the bottom of the terrarium. Then, cut a piece of fine mesh to fit the bottom. You then fit that above the gravel. Finally, you put some charcoal on top of the mesh and add the soil.

The gravel on the bottom acts as a reservoir. The water then gets wicked up into the soil keeping it moist. The mesh makes sure that certain plants do not sit directly in the water (do not use the mesh for CP that live in bogs). The charcoal is home to bacteria that break down decaying plant matter. I also recommend adding springtails to the terrarium as they will prevent mold and keep it clean.

This is cross posted from another forum. Apologies[…]

Not what you would expect...

There are no mounds of moss in the picture. There[…]

Damn, I think one of the sundews rotted away. No i[…]

I use a Govee and I love it. It connects via app o[…]

I put this venus flytrap in a different type of so[…]

Advice On Using Pool

Agreed. Simply setting all your plants in them as-[…]

Is my Leigh Wilkerson sick?

Cool. Thank you.

The only suggestion I have is to watch the new gro[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!