FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about terrariums, mini bogs, greenhouses and other growing environments

Moderator: Matt

By Chloroplast92
Hey everyone, need a bit of help on this humidity problem. The set up is a 20 gallon aquarium, rocks as substrate sitting in water, two neps in the center, sealed at the top, fan set up, humidifier, and tank heater at the bottom. First week or two were awesome with constant 99% humidity and 82F no problem with only having the humidifier and fan going off every two hours and hardly any condensation on glass. Now it struggles to reach 97% humidity, and slowly drops over the two hour gap to 90%, temp stays constant at 82F, and now I get a lot of condensation. Only thing I can think of is that its heating up because of spring, AC is going off more, cooling the room, Temp difference of about 10F between room and tank is pulling humidity from the tank and condensing it all on the glass. Besides that I have no clue.
By Hungry Plants
First off you don't need 99% humidity for neps. Second, the AC sucks up humidity out of the air. You really only need 60% humidity or so. Some people grow on window sills with 40% humidity.
By tannerm
Hungry Plants wrote:First off you don't need 99% humidity for neps. Second, the AC sucks up humidity out of the air. You really only need 60% humidity or so. Some people grow on window sills with 40% humidity.
Well that certainly depends. Species like hamata require AT LEAST 80% to pitcher properly... sure there are some that have been adapted over years to live (not thrive) in low humidity, but generally the higher the better. Having said that, you’re correct in that they don’t need 99%, as airflow is also a critical factor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Drosera germination time

Re: germination time, I got some d. madagascariens[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!