FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Hectorsgaf
Not just VFT but all my CPs. Have posted uk forum too but can you help?

So being mindful about the possible issues that high tds levels can cause I have got a (cheap) meter and been keeping an eye on things.  Rainwater in my butts is not good.. probs because it comes off an asbestos garage roof and there will be significant debri build up in the butts too.  I have however collected rainwater direct into buckets that is very low tds. I have also got a good supply (from my friendly window cleaner) of ro water that is absolute zero.  Now using the zero stuff, or fresh rain the issue I have is that once the plants have been in trays for a while the tds increases. I use garland trays and capillary matting as recommended and supplied by recognised uk CP plant supplier.   After a fairly short period of time though the tds increases and significantly.  After 2 weeks one tray has gone from absolute zero to 235.  I will try and do a test with just the tray / matting and water and see what happens with time but is it the actual plants in the pots with soil that is causing this perhaps?   Confused. 

Any advice on this appreciated. Thank you. 
By Intheswamp
Are you top-watering?
What type of grow-mix are you using?
Is your drain water dark?
Did you rinse your ingredients before filling the pots?

Capillary mat? Hmmm. To remove that variable why not remove the mat, add a centimeter or so of water, put the plants back in the tray and see what your TDS readings show after a week or two?
By Hectorsgaf
No top watering. Using Peat / perlite 1:1 although several are in nursery pots from suppliers that I cannot vouch for the mix. The suppliers can be vouched for. Drain water? Not sure what you mean. Rain water is clear when collected fresh. I have not repotted anything yet. Just started with CPs this summer.
By Intheswamp
To answer your last question I would say that if the water that you are using is close to 0ppm in TDS then the substantial rise in the TDS in the drain water has to be coming from your growing mix/soil or either the mat itself. The only other thing would be if you have someone "helping" you and are watering with regular (high TDS) tapwater...a child, friend, parent, etc.,.
By Hectorsgaf
Should read, I have NOT repotted MUCH yet. Apparently I do not have the permissions to edit my posts.
By Hectorsgaf
Intheswamp wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 4:25 pm To answer your last question I would say that if the water that you are using is close to 0ppm in TDS then the substantial rise in the TDS in the drain water has to be coming from your growing mix/soil or either the mat itself. The only other thing would be if you have someone "helping" you and are watering with regular (high TDS) tapwater...a child, friend, parent, etc.,.
I will test with mat in or out.. Nobody else is watering.
By Hectorsgaf
Hectorsgaf wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 4:28 pm
Intheswamp wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 4:25 pm To answer your last question I would say that if the water that you are using is close to 0ppm in TDS then the substantial rise in the TDS in the drain water has to be coming from your growing mix/soil or either the mat itself. The only other thing would be if you have someone "helping" you and are watering with regular (high TDS) tapwater...a child, friend, parent, etc.,.
I will test with mat in or out.. Nobody else is watering. Will also try different container etc just in case.
By Intheswamp
The "drain water" phrase would have went with top-watering, which you're not doing so that doesn't apply. After top-watering, water will drain out the bottom into the tray.

Something else that you might want to do is to top water a pot while it's sitting in a saucer/bowl and test the TDS of its drain water. If it is alarmingly high then the grow mix *could* be backfeeding contaminants into the tray water, I suppose.

Btw, what type of pots are you using....plastic?
By Hectorsgaf
Yes , all plastic. Nice to have some replies here though for which I thank you.. Waiting for the UK to wake up!!! :D I don't want to get paranoid about TDS but 235 is not really wanted with some pricey plants.
By Intheswamp
Hey, all my plants are cheap or mooched off some kind souls. And even with them *I* don't want 235ppm water hanging around my plants! ;)

Well, unless you have some *really* bad grow-mix, I'm getting a bit suspicious of the mat. Just sayin'...... :?
By Hectorsgaf
I understand and will try some tests tomorrow when it is not dark and not chucking it down with rain!! Matting did come from VERY reputable Uk cp supplier. I have a tray with matting on table that has filled with rain today.. 39ppm. No plants in it. Will see how that develops too.
By Hectorsgaf
Hectorsgaf wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 4:52 pm I understand and will try some tests tomorrow when it is not dark and not chucking it down with rain!! Matting did come from VERY reputable Uk cp supplier. I have a tray with matting on table that has filled with rain today.. 39ppm. No plants in it. Will see how that develops too.
Edit: which I now seem to be allowed to do. - Have put out a new tray, no plants, 9ppm water and mat.. will monitor. Next stage, trays with not mats. :D
By Hectorsgaf
Hectorsgaf wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 5:02 pm
Hectorsgaf wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 4:52 pm I understand and will try some tests tomorrow when it is not dark and not chucking it down with rain!! Matting did come from VERY reputable Uk cp supplier. I have a tray with matting on table that has filled with rain today.. 39ppm. No plants in it. Will see how that develops too.
Edit: which I now seem to be allowed to do. - Have put out a new tray, no plants, 9ppm water and mat.. will monitor. Next stage, trays with no mats. :D
By Intheswamp
I'm looking forward to hearing your results! Best wishes.
By Hectorsgaf
Thank you.. At least somebody is interested. The forum this side of the pond is duller than the drain water you referred to. :) :D
Atlanta Georgia Meetup

Supply the air fare and lodging and I will be ther[…]

Here's the one seedling that I managed to get grow[…]

What’s happening

Btw, if you seed a flower stalk suddenly start sho[…]

Expanding the Garden

That's looking great!!! Some good-looking soil!!![…]

Counting to infinity.

Ive been searching the web for perlite for two day[…]

SASE sent, whoops, time got away from me there

Another eBay Deal

This will be interesting to see how it turns out, […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!