FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By TrapsAndDews
MikeB wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:09 am I'm still trying to get my hands on a bale of white/blond peat. None of my local stores carry it, and they say I'd have to buy a whole pallet (I don't need that much peat moss at one time). There is a good explanation of the different grades of peat here.
What type of peat grade is best for CPs? I was under the impression that the darker the peat is the better it is. The first bag of peat I ever got was dark and had a fine texture. The second bag of peat I got (same brand) was lighter and more coarse (also more sticks).
By NightRaider
TrapsAndDews wrote:What type of peat grade is best for CPs? I was under the impression that the darker the peat is the better it is. The first bag of peat I ever got was dark and had a fine texture. The second bag of peat I got (same brand) was lighter and more coarse (also more sticks).
I think you generally want the more coarser, lighter, more fibrous stuff like what floats when rinsing it. The fine, dark, powdery stuff just turns into a sort of sludge and loses all structural integrity when soaked, though I do still use it for aquatic or semi-aquatic utrics.
MikeB liked this
By MikeB
TrapsAndDews wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 5:27 pm What type of peat grade is best for CPs? I was under the impression that the darker the peat is the better it is. The first bag of peat I ever got was dark and had a fine texture. The second bag of peat I got (same brand) was lighter and more coarse (also more sticks).
General rule of thumb: the darker the peat is, the more decomposed it is. The darker peat moss goes "sour" faster and has to be replaced sooner. This is why I want to get my hands on some white/blond peat.
Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mi[…]

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!