FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By AAAAAAAAA
I’m a bit of a beginner with carnivorous plants, and my sundews is putting out her first flower stalk, and I wanted to know if there was anything I need to do differently to it once the flowers emerge, should I cut the stalk back once all the flowers die, etc.
By optique
if you want seeds leave it alone, but feeding it why it is growing the stalk will make it grow more blooms. I cut my stalks off so i don't have baby sundews everywhere.
By Intheswamp
What kind of sundew do you have?

Allowing the sundew to flower shouldn’t hurt it. The flowers will make seeds if the flowers are allowed to turn into seed pods and dry. They are very, very small seeds. It depends on whether you want seeds or not. You might want seeds if you want to start more plants from seeds or if you want to donate them to the seed bank that is located elsewhere on the forum. Another reason you might want seeds is if your plant is an annual being as it will die in a year or two and you will need seeds to replant. Another reason you might let the flowers go to seed is to allow the plant to self sow, which optique cautioned about. I don’t think there’s a right or wrong thing to do with the flower stalks…it all depends on what you want. ;)

Btw, welcome to the forum!
By Gary
I've allowed one of my Capensis to flower a couple times (I'm growing a sundew army) and both times it looked terrible by the time the flowers finished blooming. If this happens to your sundew, don't worry, it'll come back strong after setting seed.
Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mi[…]

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!