FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Moderator: Matt

By DragonsEye
ChefDean wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:20 am Well, yeah. Did you think sticking your finger in it would be a good idea?
An amusing if bit snide comment. :mrgreen: The idea does remind me of an occurrence I witnessed at a restaurant. My mom commonly orders hot water and a wedge of lemon at restaurants when she doesn't want tea. Such was the case that set the stage for this brief story. So she orders her typical drink order. We watch the waiter go pick up a regular drinking glass and fill it with hot water from the coffee urn tap. He then proceeded to carry said glass over in his bare hand. He only made it a few feet before he rapidly set the glass on a nearby table, shook his hand and said a few words under his breath about how hot the glass was. When he made it to our table, I said bluntly "That's why hot drinks are typically served in vessels with handles ...." :roll:
TrapsAndDews liked this
By Savethetrees4life
Use H2O2 3% and spread the soil thin and spray it down. Let it dry as much as possible or mix it well with new soil and plant as usual. Hydrogen Peroxide is a natural oxidant which will definitely help kill stuff in the soil and bring oxygen to the roots. But it degrades easy into to oxygen and water so once you water the plant you’ve basically washed the leftover H2O2 away. I’ve done it and do it now so I can reuse LFSM.
O ya you can spray it directly on soil with the plant but avoid plant tissue directly to be safe.
The 3% antiseptic Hydrogen Peroxide it’s OTC.
Be careful though.
Also sometimes I do check my tea with my finger lol doesn’t hurt. Anymore.
By thepitchergrower
Savethetrees4life wrote:Use H2O2 3% and spread the soil thin and spray it down. Let it dry as much as possible or mix it well with new soil and plant as usual. Hydrogen Peroxide is a natural oxidant which will definitely help kill stuff in the soil and bring oxygen to the roots. But it degrades easy into to oxygen and water so once you water the plant you’ve basically washed the leftover H2O2 away. I’ve done it and do it now so I can reuse LFSM.
O ya you can spray it directly on soil with the plant but avoid plant tissue directly to be safe.
The 3% antiseptic Hydrogen Peroxide it’s OTC.
Be careful though.
Also sometimes I do check my tea with my finger lol doesn’t hurt. Anymore.
Not to argue, but I have experimented with H202, and would suggest against it. It's much easier to use heat. If you have seedlings, DO NOT spray the seedlings with H202, it will DAMAGE or KILL the seedlings. H202 is also less cost effective.
Savethetrees4life liked this
By Savethetrees4life
To each their own. It’s more beneficial for the combination of effects when used on stable plants it’s $1 a liter. cost wise have you seen a gas/electric bill lately lol
:)
I do think I’ll have to try boiled water so thanks for the info
By Savethetrees4life
Any more ideas on sterilization of LFSM?
I only mist the thinned out medium on a tray then let it dry under a paper topped container for mild air flow and then use it as bottom filler to avoid poisoning the plant. if the roots want it they’ll reach out lol
By TrapsAndDews
I didn't know you needed to sterilize sphagnum moss. If I use sphagnum moss for VFTs when they're growing outside, would the moss need to be sterilized?
By TrapsAndDews
Oh, I forgot to say, all the questions I was asking were related to peat moss, because I didn't think lfsm needed to be sterilized.
By Savethetrees4life
I grow indoors only since it’s a balmy 9F with a -10 degree F windchill so I use photo spectrum to create dormancy in a room that’s 65-70F.
I’m not tryna have any bugs other than tiny isopods.
And somehow two gnats made it into my plants..
Also Apple iPad needs to add a temperature degree symbol lol
I’ve conservatively sprayed H2O2 on the soil of my few plants in peat moss and haven’t had any issues.
Last edited by Savethetrees4life on Sat Jan 22, 2022 2:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
TrapsAndDews liked this
By Savethetrees4life
This might help I’m not well informed on Peat moss.
https://www.gardenguides.com/info_80749 ... erile.html
Also if it comes with beneficial microbes it’s best not to sterilize it.
TrapsAndDews liked this
By ChefDean
TrapsAndDews wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:39 am
ChefDean wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:44 pm When I've done it, I put it in a big glass bowl with a lid and just crack the lid.
What kind of lid?
The lid that goes with that big glass bowl.
No, wait, use aluminum foil and just keep one end barely tented.

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Drosera germination time

Re: germination time, I got some d. madagascariens[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!