FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By BxndiTSold
So I just recently reported about 7 different vfts that I picked up and while at Lowe’s I picked up a bag of spahgnum peat moss from miracle gro and i didnt think anything of it, even though it’s miracle gro, but now I’m finding out it can kill my vfts, I have 1 by itself in a smaller pot and 6 in a bigger pot all with 50% perhlite and 50% peat moss, what should I do????
By VFTnPups
Repot them with a peat mix that doesn’t have Miracle Gro or other additives in it. Make sure the perlite also doesn’t have additives in it. Rinse your plants well with distilled water and once repotted into a safe medium, water from the top instead of bottom/tray watering.
By BxndiTSold
I think im just gonna go with a lfsm since it also works well and doesn’t require rinsing and mixing, I ordered some fromcrhe Home Depot that I’ll be picking up tmr morning and repotting and rinsing before I go to work, they had recently been reported and are already in shock, im not so worried about the newest one but it worries me they are gonan go into shock again as they weee just reocvering
By VFTnPups
Is that Mosser Lee brand lfsm? It’s better than Miracle Gro, but one of the poorest quality lfsm brands. If you can find Better Gro Orchid Moss at Lowe’s that is the best quality lfsm available at a big box store.

Your vft should be able to recover. Just make sure you keep top watering when needed.
By Intheswamp
I would top water for a couple of weeks...but I'm "OCD-Me". ;) Unless you are where it's really hot and dry I would think that you will probably need to top water every two or three days.

If you have a spray bottle I would spray the rhizomes to help rinse anything away from the roots. Remember, too, that after you water that you need to dump the drainwater being as that contains the possibly flushed fertilizer. Did you do a 100% LFSM or a LFSM/perlite mix? I *think* the protocol for growing in 100% LFSM is not to tray water...the moss stays too soggy, thus the need for the perlite. Also, for flushing 100% LFSM might be difficult to get the water moving through. I'm a newbie, though, so maybe one of the experienced folks will correct me where I'm wrong. ;)

Having said all that I think your plants will be fine...just need a little time to recuperate from all the moving around and probably from the bit of fertilizer they were subjected to. Best wishes!
By VFTnPups
Feel the weight of your pot right now. 100% lfsm pots are incredibly light when they need to be watered. You can also stick your finger in the moss. The top will look dried out, but it’ll still be moist an inch down.

A little bit of rhizome peaking out is okay since the rhizome will grow downward and settle itself into the pot. Your plants will probably look worse before they look better because of all the stress from the Miracle Gro and multiple repotting. Just remember if the rhizome is firm and healthy, the plant will eventually recover.
Hello, New to the forum

Welcome to the forum! We have a horrible deer i[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

Counting to infinity.

DragonsEye, I definitely did not know that, either[…]

All Mineral Media

I find pure turface stays too wet in my conditions[…]

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mine[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!