FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By Intheswamp
I have a small D. filiformis tracyi that a guy gifted me with. It was rough when I got it. Some browning leaves, short roots, etc.,. I've really been wanting one of these and decided to plant it in BetterGro "Premium" sphagnum moss mixed with some sand...it's not the long-fibered variety but it looks like it has some long strands in it. Lots of blonde strands with darker strands mixed in. I soaked and rinsed the moss a few times and filled a 6" square pot with it.

Since planting the tracyi a couple of weeks ago (it came semi bare rooted) it hasn't shown much growth. I pruned the leaves back where they had died back but there is one new leaf growing and one of the shorter, original unpruned leaves does have a bit of dew on it. The rest of the pruned leaves are mostly bare of tentacles and dew.

I have a d. filiformis Florida Giant that *loves* being in a tray of water. BUT...the Florida Giant is in a peat/sand mix, not pure sphagnum moss. I've had the tracyi sitting in 3/4" to 1" of water since I planted it. In a recent thread here on the forum I saw where an experienced grower mentioned to *not* keep a sundew growing in BetterGro SM in a water tray. I take it that it would be too wet. So, have I erred in keeping the tracyi that's planted in the sphagnum moss sitting in a water tray? I took it out of the water tray a little bit ago and will let it stay out until I hear from some of ya'll. I know the sphagnum moss holds a lot of water...does it hold too much if standing in water? :?: :?: :?:

Also, I've had the tracyi sitting where it gets probably 3-4 hours of full sun each day...beside where the Florida Giant is thriving. I'm wondering, though, if I should bag the tracyi and move it over to some dappled shade for a couple of weeks...?

Thanks for any feedback on the standing water question and any other tips!
By Intheswamp
I may move the tracyi, then. It gets at the max 3-4 hours of full sun where I have it. It's just a spot out the back door between the house and some big oaks that gets some mid-morning to early-afternoon sun. I can move it a few feet to the side and it'll still get lots of open shade and maybe a speck or two of full sun during the day. Now, I'm wondering if I erred going with LFSM rather than my regular peat/sand or peat/perlite mix.
By Intheswamp
Sundews69 wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 2:56 pm I think it would be fine to keep it in water. I guess the only thing to look for is algae and mold.
Do you think the LFSM will stay too soggy? I suppose since the pot is outside it may handle the wetness better...more surface evaporation, etc.,. We've actually had the first couple of days with *no* rain in them that we've had in a week+. I'm glad for things to dry out a bit...but there are clouds gathering, it appears. :) I just have to be make sure the pot doesn't get too dry...maybe just keep the water level a bit lower than I've been keeping it.
Last edited by Intheswamp on Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
By steve booth
I stand all my repotted CPs in water, it reduces stress on the roots and especially with LFSm it creates a mini humid climate around the plant so it doesn't transpire so much, which is very useful in reducing the work the roots have to do while they 'bed in' to the new medium.
You didn't say how tall your pt was but if it is about 5" or more 1" of water won't be a problem.
Cheers
Steve
Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Here is the photo, didn’t upload for some re[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

That is one heck of a setup. What are all the larg[…]

Yescom Altrnatives

Not the exact same as it is 150W but might work ou[…]

So this is the only "lone wolf" that I h[…]

What’s happening

Btw, if you seed a flower stalk suddenly start sho[…]

Expanding the Garden

That's looking great!!! Some good-looking soil!!![…]

Counting to infinity.

Ive been searching the web for perlite for two day[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!