FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Gary
I received a very nice Capensis this spring, the leaf stems were about 6" in length. I let the plant flower which left it in pretty droopy shape. Most of the leaves wilted and replacements were slow in coming after I cut off the flower scape. For the past two months it's been growing robust, long-lived leaves like crazy but the lengths are around 3-4". It gets plenty of AZ sunshine, but not so much that it gets scorched, lives in a tray of distilled water, and keeps itself well fed. No pests are in evidence.
The plant seems very happy, but the shorter leaves are a little puzzling. Is this typical growth after flowering?
By optique
cutting a flower has should have no effect. sounds like you have it outside, capes a sub tropical plants that grow at high elevations and enjoy lots of sun but cooler temps. I find over 85f they start to be unhappy and can look ratty. post a photo for and i am sure someone can pin point whats going on.
By Bluefire
I also have a capensis out in the AZ sun, and it hates it. I’m thinking I’ll have to move it in because its new leaves are also short. And it hasn’t bloomed.

I also have another capensis indoors, and it has normal, long, dewy leaves. So I’m pretty sure they just don’t like being out there, burning in the desert heat.
By Nikson
Yeah I had my cape sundew outside in 90+ degree weather in Georgia on my deck, and it got OBLITERATED. You can check out my thread in this forums below yours to see what the sun did to my sundew lol, it's just a stump now regrowing itself.
By Gary
Here are a couple pics showing the longer leaves that were wilting during the flowering period, and a current pic with the shorter leaves. The plant seems very happy, is adding new leaves every couple days, and is really dewy. I'm not complaining, just curious.
Attachments:
0503221528_Burst19.jpg
0503221528_Burst19.jpg (1.75 MiB) Viewed 1274 times
0717221656.jpg
0717221656.jpg (4.89 MiB) Viewed 1274 times
Bluefire liked this
worm in substrate?

Yes. It looks like a fungus gnat larvae to me as w[…]

a table with under bed totes painted white used […]

These are argentine ants, to the best of my know[…]

Mixing small amounts of miticide

maybe make an intermediate stock solution that you[…]

Unkown sarracenia

I got these sarracenia from sarracenia northwest a[…]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!