FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions on how to propagate your plants sexually and asexually, by seed, natural division or leaf pulling

Moderator: Matt

By plantnerdjules
I bought one each of D schizandra and Andromeda, cute little things. Both plants going okay so far and before something goes wrong, I want to try leaf propagation.

I had success with leaf cuttings of D adelae previously, easy and I got lots of tiny plants. Not so easy with schizandra and Andromeda it seems.

Does anyone have experience with leaf prop for these two species please?
By plantnerdjules
Due to schizandra and andromeda leaf shape, I had trouble keeping the leaves in close contact with the damp media , using LFS chopped into small pieces.

I tried toothpicks poked in at an angle (see photo) but they are not very effective. Has anyone found a better method?
Attachments:
P7062236cr_leaf_prop_d_schiz_d_androm.jpg
P7062236cr_leaf_prop_d_schiz_d_androm.jpg (356.28 KiB) Viewed 2752 times
By NightRaider
I would think you should just be able to float them in water until they strike like other drosera that can be propped from cuttings, and then just transfer to media later. I don't have either of those yet to know 100% for them specifically (though they're on my shortlist), but I didn't have any issues when I tried it with prolifera.
By plantnerdjules
Thank you NightRaider I might try water without LFS. I was following a recommendation to use LFS for this, not sure where the advice came from though. I'd love to do a proper trial to compare methods but the parent plants are too small to take more leaves off.
NightRaider liked this

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Drosera germination time

Re: germination time, I got some d. madagascariens[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!