FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Pammer568
Hello everyone!! Thanks for letting me join this group. I have several sundews with flower stalks. Do they automatically produce seeds after flowering? When/how do you harvest seeds or do they have to be pollinated to do this? Guess I don’t know about the birds and bees stuff with plants. I have also made Leaf cuttings of some of their leaves and see new, little plants growing on the cutting. Any info on what to do next? Many, many thanks!! ;)
By Sundews69
What sundew species do you have? Most automatically produce seed and self pollinate. Once each flower has opened, closed, and started to turn brown, tilt the flower on its side and gently tap it against a folded piece of paper to collect any ripe seeds. Repeat this process over a couple months or until you are sick of collecting seeds. You most likely won't get seeds the first time you tap the flower on the paper, but that just means the seeds isn't ripe yet. Also, some species don't make much seed, but some make thousands so it can depend how long you need to collect seed for. I hope all of that makes sense.

Did you bud the cuttings on water or on soil?
Not what you would expect...

Mike, I'm not kidding, I can lay something down in[…]

From what I remember, one quarter teaspoon per ga[…]

rustoleum 2x painters touch, but i do touch them u[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

worm in substrate?

Yes. It looks like a fungus gnat larvae to me as[…]

Unkown sarracenia

I got these sarracenia from sarracenia northwest a[…]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!